trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TRWAITT Jam
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:27 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

So, Brent, Lawrence, Steve, Phil and I got together at the Toronto shop this time, to do another tone test. This was the first time for Lawrence and Steve played the TRIWATT. Brent obliged and brought his DR103, again for comparison. Guitars included, Tele, Strat, PRS, Danelectro, and a Gibson LP Solid Body.

The speaker cab was a 212 Tone Tubby Alnico 8 ohm. The speakers arrived 12 hours before so they were totally new.

I put up a mike and recorded almost 2 hours of material.

Calm before the Storm

Lawrence lets Loose on TRIWATT

Lawrence had never played a HIWATT so this was all new to him and it took some test licks to get into the groove. When Brent arrived, the whole spectacle took place wth the interaction of OD and Volume controls and linked channels. The results sounded awesome live.

CLIPS TEMPORARILY REMOVED

Our ears were ringing but I did get a good chance to hear the amp overdriven at very low sound levels. It was really nice and meaty even at low volumes. Quite amazing actually.

I think the OD control works so well, it is unlikely you'll need a VRM on this amp!

Last edited by coco on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:19 pm 
Friend
Friend

well......if anyone wants to know if this is a Canadian amp company.....
ROAD APPLES !!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:06 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I'm no Brent either... oh wait, I am a Brent! Can I cut myself some slack??? ;)

Clips sound cool Stephen! It was fun yesterday! More specific comments on the Triwatt thread... And for all you clean guys, not to worry, there's a TON of clean shades in there (we'll get some clean clips next time the Triwatt visits my studio)... I think the spicy chili just made us want to rock harder!! That chili was legendary AMAZING btw... :) Thanks Joan!!

Oh and for the detail-oriented amongst us, a fair number of the clips (the earlier numbered) had various pedals in-line! Takes pedals great! :)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:59 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I listened to all 2 hours of recording trying to find the clean stuff. I know it's in there somewhere, but not so much at this session. Next one for sure - with the Gretch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:32 pm 
Friend
Friend

Gretsch.......did someone say Gretsch.....
what kind ??
I'm curious about those Dynasonic pickups.

: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Can I suggest a few clips without pedals!!
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:30 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Stoo wrote:
Stew

Exactly!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:23 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

amp boy wrote:
Gretsch.......did someone say Gretsch.....
what kind ??
I'm curious about those Dynasonic pickups.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Stephen was intending to refer to my Rickenbacker 360... There is a Gretsch in my near future though - either the Anniversary (love that seafoam green!!) or if I can swing the extra $$ a Chet Atkins... :D 8) I got sidetracked on the Gretsch by that damn PRS Mira!! Glad I did though... ;)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:24 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Stoo wrote:
Stew

Oh yeah - any clips I do will be without pedals... :) At least initially... ;) :P :lol:

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:36 pm 
Expert
Expert

Stoo wrote:
Stew

I can assure you that a few of those clips definitely don't have any pedals. :) Your task is to guess which ones don't have a pedal, and of the ones that do, which have my tweaked Rangemaster, and which have Laurence's old and battered vintage Fuzzface, Fulltone OCD or Verbalizer reverb. There was never more than one pedal used at any time. We were just playing in an ad-lib kind of way, having fun with different guitars and settings, as well as comparing the Triwatt to its big daddy Hiwatt DR103, rather than doing structured clips of different kinds of amp tones. It gets to be a problem when everyone's having so much fun. I guess the more structured clips will have to come next time. Personally, I would have loved to have had a phase pedal as well, for doing some more Floyd stuff. Those speakers in the 2X12 could have done with some breaking in first, but that was out of Stephen's control as they'd only just arrived the previous day.

Also, among the guitars there was Les Paul Studio Double-cut - ie basically a like an LP Jr with two P90s. I'm in love with Brent's PRS Mira BTW. He's going to have to keep a close eye on it! :wink: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:24 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Thread modified to remove clips. New clips will come from bgroup soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:17 am 
Expert
Expert

To put things a little more into context, we have been sharing the process of designing this amp, testing it, playing it and getting it into production, complete with photos of a hacked prototype chassis with a taped-on paper face plate. The idea is that people would find it interesting to follow the progress of how the Triwatt is coming together, along the lines of a blog. So in line with that approach, these clips were basically some snippets taken from a "quick n' dirty" computer recording of a bunch of guys having fun jamming away on the prototype amp, with pedals some of the time, rather than definitive recordings of the full capabilities of the final product. So we now look forward to Brent's recordings of the final, production-ready Triwatt. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:33 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Ahh, people sometimes disappoint me. I am very excited about this new amp, as I am about all my Trinity stuff. I posted a short snippet about it on the guitars Canada forum, and of course it brings out the negativity.

Guitar forums are really bringing me down these days - too much hate, bitching and name calling and not enough good people who just like to share new ideas, talk music and gear and get along.

ANyhow, I really wish more people could get a chance to try out one of Trinity's 15's, 18's or the deluxe - and of course the new Triwatt. I am sure the guys playing the run of the mill factory amps would see/hear what the fuss is all about, and the guys playing the Dr Z's and so forth would see Canada has a worthy amp builder right here in our own country.

Rant over. Now I can go back waiting for my Triwatt kit :)

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:04 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hear, hear! Rant on, brother. We're here for you! There are still a few of us left who are optimistic about life and good amps!