trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:49 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Well, I started putting parts on the chassis tonight. I will be posting anything I find that is or looks like I should ask something :)

First issue, a small one - the mini pot with the switch for the overdrive is smaller than the hole in the chassis, and the pin that is to fit into the hole for antirotation is not in the right spot. I just snapped the cast pin off the pot and centered the shaft in the hole and tightened it up.

2nd issue - the DPDT mini switch is, I assume, to go on the rear of the chassis in the "overdrive switch" hole? It is way too big. I can make a washer to bush down the hole and make the switch fit, though. Just an observation. On the layout, there looks like what appears to be an output jack instead of a switch and no wires coming from it. Remote footswitch?

Fill me in Stephen! :)

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:39 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Ok, Yes the OD switch is smaller than the hole & you need to snap off the that lug. The original ones I used had a larger dia but I was shipped equivalent ones. I've been looking for a spacer / washer to center in the hole. .375 OD X .28 ID (nylon pipe?)
I needed a DPDT Pull switch & that the only one I found.

The DPDT switch is for the bias switch on the Top of the chassis, not the OD switch (that's for a 1/4" jack for future foot switch).

UPDATE: Solution Posted Here: viewtopic.php?t=1567

Parts on their way guys!

Last edited by coco on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:33 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
Ok, Yes the OD switch is smaller than the hole & you need to snap off the that lug. The original ones I used had a larger dia but I was shipped equivalent ones. I've been looking for a spacer / washer to center in the hole. .375 OD X .28 ID (nylon pipe?)
I needed a DPDT Pull switch & that the only one I found.

The DPDT switch is for the bias switch on the Top of the chassis, not the OD switch (that's for a 1/4" jack for future foot switch).

OK, that makes sense... footswitch... good thing I ask questions :)

Time for bed... but the chassis has all the stuff on it. Its a start!

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:48 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Dont forget the pics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:50 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I have all the parts mounted, and started wiring this morning (as my plans were cancelled due to weather).

I am just taking a lunch break, but hope to get another hour or two on it before my wife and I go out.

I forgot how relaxing and pleasurable amp building is. Plus, It is taking my mind of the fact I had to put my best pal to sleep yesterday :( My dog Teak, who was with me since 2007 when I saved her from the pound at 4 months old, had a tumor and was starting to bleed internally. Her lungs were filling with blood and there was nothing that could be done.

I am seriously glad I have this Triwatt kit to take my mind off of things right now.

Back to work...

here is Teak about 5 years ago. Rest well my friend..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:29 pm 
Expert
Expert

Sorry to hear about Teak. Yes, there's nothing as therapeutic as sitting down at the bench with a hot soldering iron. :D

Also to me it appears that the little tag strips by V1 and V3 need to be aligned parallel with the front and rear of the chassis, rather than angled as shown in the layout diagram. In the prototype we had them angled, but the board was also mounted further forward, allowing more space around the tube sockets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:42 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

well, all the components are on the board, soldered and all jumpers front and back are in. Before any eagle eye catches it, one small jumper missing from the front is actually on the back as well :)

Board is mounted, and I am ready to start wiring in the leads from the board to tube sockets and the pots.

If I didnt have to go out now with my wife to meet some friends (and a movie later on) I would probably be playing this thing tonight :)

Maybe tomorrow though.... maybe.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:33 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Well, I managed to get a little more wiring done after getting home about 9pm.

I have 4 of 6 tube sockets wired in, with V1 and V2 left to go. Then its the pot wiring and input jacks.

Maybe I will get a chance to fire it up tomorrow?

When I wire the leads to the board its also a great chance to double check component values. I found I had two resistors which were side by side swapped out.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:00 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

ajcoholic wrote:
Maybe I will get a chance to fire it up tomorrow

It's tomorrow ajc ?? Report?? I heard some loud music from up you way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:11 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

OK, what a day! I was up pretty early for a Sunday to start back to wiring up my Triwatt.

Had to leave for brunch with friends, but when I got home around noon I managed to finish up the wiring (or so I thought... more on that later!)

Upon trying to fire up the amp, I discovered although I had noise (with a guitar plugged into it) it was noisy and not very clear. I also tried to bias the tubes (both KT66 and 6V6) but the bias voltages were way too high.

I called Steven, and while we were speaking on the phone and I was measuring voltages, I discovered a very small jumper I missed. Put that in, and it was better but still the bias voltages were too high.

I left it alone for a few hours while we went out to do some shopping... I also managed to pick up a 100K ohm resistor from the SOurce (the closest thing toan electronics store you will find here) so I was pleased.

After I came back, I went over the ENTIRE board and all pot and tube socket wiring from left to right. After about an hour of tracing wires, I discovered i missed one ground wire, the one from the two rightmost electrolytic caps + to ground. I put that one in, and upon firing it up I now had a SUPER QUIET, awesome sounding amp which I could easily bias properly!!

I have played it for only 10 minutes or so, but will wring it out after I get off of this computer. The overdrive is working as are all three inputs, volumes, etc. The layout is correct, and I am pleased.

I found only two small discrepencies in the manual (which I must say is superb, and anyone who is building this or any other Trinity amp should take the time to read the details)...

#1 - on page 34, the ground wire from the speaker output jacks is stated to go to pin 7 of the octal sockets. It should read PIN #1. The layout is correct, as pin 7 is one of the heaters.

#2 - on the layout, the left most speaker output jack should have the ground bus wire running to both bottom tags... not just the right hand side one. Coincidentally, the same diagram on page 34 of the manual has the outputs wired properly.

Two very small issues, I think Stephen has corrected them already.

I spent about 10 to 12 hours putting the components on the chassis and wiring up the Triwatt... I tried to make my wiring neat, without getting too crazy about it :) The main thing is all wires are run well, solder joints are double checked and there are (now) no missing wires! ;)

So, I am off to play my new amp. Will be test running it as much as I can in the next two weeks, as I plan to use it at the next bar gig we have in two weekends.

Yeah!!

AJC

ps I have to thank Stephen for the BEAUTIFULL head cab I bought with my kit. Top notch, and as goo d or better than ANY high end cab I have ever seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:13 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
ajcoholic wrote:
Maybe I will get a chance to fire it up tomorrow

It's tomorrow ajc ?? Report?? I heard some loud music from up you way!

You got me while i was typing... now can I go play some of that rock and roll music you kids like ;) ??

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:32 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Ahh ajc!! Congratulations on a fine build. And I see you went for the KT66 gusto right from the get-go!

I feel confident to post the layout and schematic now. Thanks for shaking it down. That's a real service to the rest of us.

As you said, I have fixed the manual and the layout.

Number One is Done

Now I look forward to your Tone Testing!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:38 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

ajcoholic wrote:
missed one ground wire, the one from the two rightmost electrolytic caps + to ground.

Those would be the bias supply caps. I thought it was the can caps. Easy to miss, after all, Electrolytic Cap Positive terminal going to ground :o
Who woulda thunk :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:25 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Andrew, now that we have one successful build under our belt, is it Ok to make your story public? If you want to create a new, edited one before posting let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:49 pm 
Expert
Expert

Congrats dude! I told you your head start left me without hope. Mine's still in transit! :)

With any luck I'll get started Wednesday night. We'll see.

BTW, my Fane clones shipped on Friday also. They should arrive just in time for the completed build!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:51 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
Andrew, now that we have one successful build under our belt, is it Ok to make your story public? If you want to create a new, edited one before posting let me know.

Sure, no need for editing. I am lucky I only missed a ground wire... :)

I dont think I was rushing at all, but there are a LOT of wires in this amp!

I still think the TC15 was "harder" due to working in tighter space. I found this amp (the Triwatt) very nice to work on, and nothing was hard to get to in terms of soldering. I did appreciate the fact I wired in the socket heater wires BEFORE the board went in, as suggested in the manual.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:55 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Congrats, Andrew! Can't wait to hear some of your clips.

Enjoy!

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:32 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Let us know how you make out the first time you play it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:43 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Jrock,
Clips are still beyond me... but maybe in two weeks when we gig, I can set up my Boss recorder, or try and get someone with a decent video recorder to tape us.

Now, I did get a chance to practice tonight with the amp, and try out some different settings. I was using my Ibanez reissue AR300 (basically an LP doublecut with a maple neck and PAF'ish humbuckers).

The normal and bright inputs are noticeably different. I like both! I had the tones pretty much at 12 oclock and the presence as well... it will take some playing around to find the sweet spot but there really isnt a "bad" sound fromt his thing. Seriously.

The only thing I had happen that might be an issue is that when the overdrive is pulled out (which sounds great by the way) and gradually turned up, about between two and 3 oclock I start to get a squeal. Maybe we can figure this one out? Or is it a characteristic of the amp when trying to dial in too much gain?

I use pedals for my really crunchy OD, and will probably end up leaving the amp set at around noon for regular playing. This thing is CLEAN ad CLEAR. Yet very strong. I had it turned up quite loud for a while, but I was afraid the neighbors might start to get PO'd so I called it quits for the night at about 10 pm.

Will try it out this week at band rehersal!

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:10 pm 
Expert
Expert

I'd be willing to bet the squeal is a combination of the amps voicing, amount of gain, and the pickups in the Ibanez. My Godin LG Sig (Duncan "Custom Custom Custom" & Jazz 2) will squeal with the gain pumping on my "Brit" voiced amps, even at lower volumes - not so much on the more "American" voiced ones. My SG Standard does it too with any covered pickups (stock, covered JB in the bridge, & covered JS Moores). I pulled the covers off & it's much better, but will still squeal if I push it.

My SG Special with GFS Mean 90's will NOT squeal at any volume on any amp, and it didn't with that very same covered JB in it either. I guess some guitars are more "alive" than others.