trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:37 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Sorry if it’s buried somewhere here. But can anyone advise which KT66 to purchase for the Triwatt? And why?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:57 am 
Experienced
Experienced

It’s a head. Thanks. I’ve read that some KT66 available today are not much more than 6L6 in a different bottle. But I have no idea as to the validity of that. So I hoped to ask for advice here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:04 pm 
Friend
Friend

I have the Genelex KT66's in mine but I've not tried anything else so I can't compare. I'm very interested in EL34's but not sure if it's worth the hassle to swap as I'd need to switch the transformer etc... To my mind they sound good, sit well in the mix and very well balanced tone.

I've attached an MP3 if you want to listen, just a room recording not a mixed recording as such but it'll give you an idea of how it sits in a mix with a full band, disclaimer..... this is just an off the cuff jam so please don't expect perfection (it's actually a new drummer audition tape so we pulled this out the hat). I've also done lots of shows with this configuration with very nice responses from other players.

Attachments:
OneOfTheseDays-2021-10-31.mp3 [13 MiB]
Downloaded 443 times

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:25 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

intothefloyd wrote:
I have the Genelex KT66's in mine but I've not tried anything else so I can't compare. I'm very interested in EL34's but not sure if it's worth the hassle to swap as I'd need to switch the transformer etc... To my mind they sound good, sit well in the mix and very well balanced tone.

I've attached an MP3 if you want to listen, just a room recording not a mixed recording as such but it'll give you an idea of how it sits in a mix with a full band, disclaimer..... this is just an off the cuff jam so please don't expect perfection (it's actually a new drummer audition tape so we pulled this out the hat). I've also done lots of shows with this configuration with very nice responses from other players.

Is that the Hiwatt for just the slide guitar or for the bass too?

Sounds awesome too!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:09 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks for the comment !

The bass player uses an Ampeg amp/cab.
I'm playing through a Triwatt Combo that I put together. My first attempt at doing something like this.

Attachments:
Lumii_20200610_081408746.jpg
Lumii_20200610_081408746.jpg [ 2.29 MiB | Viewed 12461 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:47 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Glad I bought the power tubes when I did. Yikes!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:18 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

You ain't kidding! Geez! Everyone is sold out of the new production stuff. I'm only seeing the $$$$ NOS tubes as being available.
Tubedepot even shut down their website.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:03 am 

I have the Genelex KT66's in mine but I've not tried anything else so I can't compare.

I'm very interested in EL34's but not sure if it's worth the hassle to swap as I'd need to switch the transformer etc.
To my mind they sound good, sit well in the mix and very well balanced tone.

I have attached an MP3 if you want to listen just a room recording not a mixed recording as such but it'll give you an idea of how it sits in a mix with a full band, disclaimer this is just an off the cuff jam so please don't expect perfection it's actually a new drummer audition tape so we pulled this out the hat.I've also done lots of shows with this configuration with very nice responses from other players.

The Heller Approach

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:52 am 
Friend
Friend

I just bought a matched pair of KT66 (Genelex) at vivatubes.com for around the regular price.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:51 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I just checked that site. They are $85 for a single tube and $167 for a matched pair! Is that regular price? Yikes!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:25 pm 

I run Gold Lion in my Triwatt. It sounds incredible.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:34 am 
Friend
Friend

RMosack wrote:
I just checked that site. They are $85 for a single tube and $167 for a matched pair! Is that regular price? Yikes!

:) It's not far off it I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:06 am 

I have used Valve Art in a JTM45 I built and they sounded good, but one of them shorted on me after about three months of light gigging.
I wasn't taking a chance on the Triwatt so I went with Gold Lion. They're expensive, but to me they're worth it. They have a little shorter profile too and if space is tight, they're a great option. The Gold Lion
sound great and have been really reliable so far. Western Electric are supposed to start making tubes for guitar amps. They'll be expensive, but are supposed to carry a 5 year warranty.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:28 am 

The selection of a specific KT66 tube for a Triwatt amp depends on several factors such as personal preference, budget, and availability. However, some general considerations can help guide your decision.

Firstly, it's essential to make sure that the KT66 tube you choose is compatible with your Triwatt's circuit and output transformer. Some Triwatt models may have specific requirements or limitations regarding the type and rating of the tubes they can use.

Secondly, you should consider the tonal characteristics of the KT66 tube. KT66 tubes are known for their warm, rich midrange and full-bodied sound with a tight low-end and a smooth high-end. However, different manufacturers and versions of the tube can vary in terms of their tonal balance, gain, and dynamics.

Some popular KT66 tube options for the Triwatt include the JJ KT66, Tung-Sol KT66, and Genalex Gold Lion KT66. These tubes are generally well-regarded for their tonal quality, reliability, and affordability.

The JJ KT66 is a good all-around tube that offers a warm, vintage-style tone with a smooth top-end and moderate gain. It's also known for its durability and low microphonics.

The Tung-Sol KT66 is a modern remake of the classic tube with a balanced and detailed sound that retains the vintage character of the original. It's often praised for its clarity, definition, and harmonic richness.

The Genalex Gold Lion KT66 is a premium tube that offers a luxurious, hi-fi-like sound with exceptional detail, dynamics, and clarity. It's also known for its low noise and distortion, making it an excellent choice for high-gain applications.

Ultimately, the best KT66 tube for your Triwatt will depend on your personal preferences and sonic goals. It's a good idea to try out a few different options and see which one sounds and feels best to you. mapquest driving directions

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:25 pm 

Choosing the right KT66 tubes for your Triwatt amplifier is an important decision, as it can significantly drive mad impact the tone and performance of your amplifier.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:52 pm 
Friend
Friend

Man, the AI bots have really come out in full force on the Trinity forums! Don't click on these links, folks!

I've tried both Genalex and Shuguang KT66s - bigger fan of the Chinese tubes, and they can still be found at reasonable prices (~$100-$120 for a matched pair), occasionally on sale at Tubedepot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:12 pm 

Selecting the right KT66 tubes for your Triwatt amplifier is crucial to achieving the desired tone slice master and performance. Well-established brands like Tung-Sol, JJ Electronic, and Genalex Gold Lion are known for producing reliable and high-quality tubes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:00 pm 

JJ Electronic's KT66: Costs less than other options, but still provides an incredible Suika game and reliable dynamic sound. They can be a good choice if you are looking for an economical solution.