trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:19 am 
Friend
Friend

As my Triwatt has the newer output transformer with the second primary tapping for running EL34s, is there any reason I shouldn't fit a double pole switch to allow switching to bigger bottles without needing to solder anything? I can't currently envisage needing more power than I get with the 6V6s, but have in he past run both a 50W Marshall 1987 (with a PPIMV mod) and even a 100W JCM2000. In the good old days when it was easier to clear up at then end of the night if you'd laminated to crowd to the back wall ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:11 am 
Experienced
Experienced

This is discussed on page 51 of the builder's guide...the bias supply needs tweaking, replacing the 620K resistor (R44) that is switched in on the KT66 setting with a 1M resistor as a starting point. You would still need another switch for the OT primaries. This 2-switch approach would be analogous (but not identical) to the approach used in the Tramp to run a variety of octal tubes....one switch to select the proper cathode resistor(s), and another to select the OT primary impedance. FWIW, running the high DC voltage of the OT primaries through a switch has been known to cause arcing across the switch, at least in the Tramp. If you take this approach in the Triwatt, it might be a good idea to use a heavy duty 5A Carling switch and also some of that black paint-on electrical insulator goop on the switch terminals.