trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Triwatt build
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:22 am 
Friend
Friend

Hi chaps. If the wonderful UK parcel delivery service can sort themselves out I'll be starting on a Triwatt build this weekend. Hopefully I won't be asking too many questions as I've built four amps previously...

Quick basic question though. All my other builds have the connections to the board off the back, but from the pics of Rotorcraft's build on here am I better off wiring this one from the front for neater wire runs? Photo below is of my 18W TMB built from a TAD kit before I shortened some of the wires, I intend the Triwatt to be neater still. My TMB doesn't have twisted heater wires aside from the set from the PT to the first power tube and is still amazingly quiet (for hum at least!).

Attachment:
Toms TMB.png
Toms TMB.png [ 2.91 MiB | Viewed 9610 times ]

Post subject: Re: New Triwatt build
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:17 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Here's an good article on lead dress: http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/l ... e_amps.htm Hope it is of some help.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:43 am 
Friend
Friend

Thanks for the info. Sadly due to the complete ineptitude of Parcelforce (the UK courier that deliver Canada Post parcels) I'll not be starting my build any time soon. Parcel finally delivered a week after it should have been and they've clearly dropped it somewhere, the outer box was part open, a bag labelled "relay board" which is dirty and scuffed with a single diode inside... And they've managed to bend the mounting flanges of the PT too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:46 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Sounds like US Postal Service or pretty much any delivery service. A shame and disgrace that you cant get started. Hope you can claim from them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:56 am 
Friend
Friend

Oh man, it sucks how these delivery services don’t care for doing a good job. Hope you get to start your build soon.

Regarding the off-board wires, Rotorcraft’s build is a work of art! I built mine the same way, with the wires coming out the bottom of the turrets. It’s more the way Dave Reeves built them and looks really clean. The only problem is, it’s a nightmare to fix if a wire breaks and you need to re-solder. Using solid core wire, you are more likely to have a wire break and need repair. That happened on my build and I did the repair from the top side of the turret.

Other than the neat look and extra space in the top of the turrets (more room
for mods) it doesn’t make a difference. At the end of the day, it’s probably easier for troubleshooting if the wires come off the top of the turret with all the other components.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:50 am 
Friend
Friend

Following advice from Stephen I’ve started the build. All parts seem to be present in spite of the damaged packaging and the transformer frame straightened up with a bit of brute force….

I’ve built the board and started on the chassis, next job is to finish the PT wiring and check it functions correctly after being dropped.