trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:20 am 

I've just completed my Tweed kit - a classic tortoise effort, slow, but successful. Thankfully, no hum or other unwanteds.

I've made one minor alteration - the location of the VRM pot/board. I wanted to keep the on/off toggle, so I
re-located the fuse holder on top of the amp and bushed the fuse holder hole to accept the VRM pot. To maintain clearances, the board was mounted upside down.

I've poached my wife's stereo speaker for testing. As the audio on her TV has become somewhat lopsided, I am now searching for a speaker. I would value feedback from your experiences with the speaker you chose.

Many thanks,

Sam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:34 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Sam, Looking thru the Tweed section I found these speakers mentioned by people for the Tweed amp. Tone Tubby Alnicos ( Stephens recommendation and endorsed by quite a few), Warehouse Guitar Speakers G12 series, Jensen P12N and C12N, Eminence Red, White and Blues or Texas Heat, and W-e-b-e-r 12A125A (or H). I've recently finished a tweed from Trinity and am building a combo cab for it. So, I need to pick a speaker , too! And I'll probably go with W-e-b-e-r 12A125A.

PS The site will change W-e-b-e-r to "barbecue" if you spell it with no hyphens.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:49 pm 
Novice
Novice

I went with a W-e-b-e-r 12A125A in mine. 30 watt. Light dope. Sounds fantastic. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:12 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Case 24, not a player myself, but a friend of mine is and he really likes the amp and the BBQ speaker (12A125A) w/ light dope, too. He wants me to build one for him. He buys, I build.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:13 pm 

I've been using a WGS G12Q in my 5E3 combo. Sounds filthy and is nice and light with the small magnet. Sensitivity is 95dB so not too loud to the sweet spot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:21 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Jensen Blackbird Alnico too! Eminence Texas Heat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:50 am 

When choosing a speaker for your amp, factors to consider include:

Wattage and Power Handling: Make sure the speaker can handle the power output of your amp without distortion or damage.

Sensitivity: This affects the speaker's loudness. A higher sensitivity rating means the speaker will produce more volume with the same input power.

Speaker Size: The size of the speaker can affect the overall tone and character of the amp. Larger speakers tend to produce more low-end while smaller ones may have a tighter sound.

Impedance: Match the speaker's impedance (measured in ohms) with the amp's output impedance to ensure proper load and maximum power transfer.

Tone and Sound: Different speakers can have varying tonal characteristics. Some may produce brighter highs, while others have a warmer, smoother sound. mapquest directions

Speaker Brand and Model: Popular speaker brands for guitar amps include Celestion, Jensen, Eminence, and BBQ, among others.