trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:03 am 

Hi,

I'm new here, and received a Trinity 5E3 kit for Father's Day. I'm new to amp-building, and not an electrical-engineer....

So far everything has went well in the very-early stages, however my question is regarding connecting the black-and-black/blue wiring to the white neutral. I realize I should connect the the black-black/blue wires together, then connect to the white neutral (adding the shrink-tube) but do I (a) solder these 3 wires together prior to the shrink-tube, or (b) just twist them-up and apply the shrink-tube?

Also, I can just use a cigarette lighter to shrink the tube?

Thanks in-advance for your help! Looking forward to completing this build!

-morecoffee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:12 pm 

Nevermind....the error appears to be in my reading-comprehension.... :oops:

More questions to follow...haha :shock:

Thank you, though!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:51 pm 
Expert
Expert

I have used a lighter and also a candle to shrink heat shrinkable tubing if my heat gun isn't handy. It works. Just be careful not to get the flame too close.

Good luck with your build!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:35 pm 

Well, so far so good, I think...

If you see any glaring errors, please let me know!

Attachment:
IMG_3403.JPG
IMG_3403.JPG [ 1.53 MiB | Viewed 14708 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3454.JPG
IMG_3454.JPG [ 2.18 MiB | Viewed 14708 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3494.JPG
IMG_3494.JPG [ 2.03 MiB | Viewed 14708 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:33 pm 

I finished it up today, but sadly when I fired it up........nothing. Tubes all get warm/hot, pilot light is on.

However, when I take it off standby, I do hear a slight hum coming from my speaker cab, but no signal is going through, guitar or otherwise.

In all likelihood I'll take it to my amp tech tomorrow, as I lack the ability to diagnose any problems. Hopefully nothing too severe....lol.

Here are some pics, for reference.

Attachment:
IMG_3543.JPG
IMG_3543.JPG [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 14698 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3523.JPG
IMG_3523.JPG [ 2.3 MiB | Viewed 14698 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3527.JPG
IMG_3527.JPG [ 2.19 MiB | Viewed 14698 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3577.JPG
IMG_3577.JPG [ 2.21 MiB | Viewed 14698 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3586.JPG
IMG_3586.JPG [ 2.51 MiB | Viewed 14698 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3588.JPG
IMG_3588.JPG [ 2.19 MiB | Viewed 14698 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:10 pm 

I don't have a coaxial-cable. Was one supposed to come with the kit? Is there an alternative way to wire this without the coaxial-cable? I'm all dressed up, with no place to go...

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:42 am 
Expert
Expert

The build looks good!

But yes, there is supposed to be a shielded cable running from the top of the Normal volume control to pin 2 of V2. If that's missing, no wonder you don't have sound. The fact that you hear a bit of hum is a good sign that most of the amp is working, though.

You could temporarily use a piece of regular wire for the connection just to test the amp. You might get more hum with regular wire, but the amp should work. The shield on the shielded cable only connects to ground at the volume control end, so it's not necessary to pass the signal. It's just there to shield the inner conductor that runs from the pot to the tube.

If a piece of shielded cable didn't come with the kit, Stephen will send you some. But you could also cut up a regular stereo patch cord to get a piece.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:43 am 

mitch m wrote:
The build looks good!

But yes, there is supposed to be a shielded cable running from the top of the Normal volume control to pin 2 of V2. If that's missing, no wonder you don't have sound. The fact that you hear a bit of hum is a good sign that most of the amp is working, though.

You could temporarily use a piece of regular wire for the connection just to test the amp. You might get more hum with regular wire, but the amp should work. The shield on the shielded cable only connects to ground at the volume control end, so it's not necessary to pass the signal. It's just there to shield the inner conductor that runs from the pot to the tube.

If a piece of shielded cable didn't come with the kit, Stephen will send you some. But you could also cut up a regular stereo patch cord to get a piece.

Thank you Mitch, much appreciated.

I looked up some old Fender pictures of the wiring and schematics and see that it appears a standard wire was used, so I was going to try that today (same as your advice).

I think I'm also missing the 4 nuts to secure the circuit-board to the screws...although I don't think the circuit-board is going anywhere.. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:01 am 

So early this morning, I ran a wire from the Normal Volume pot to pin-2 of v2 and the amp works like a charm, and sounds great! I played it using a LP through a 1x12 ext-cabinet with an old V30 and was enjoying every minute.

I turned on the amp a few minutes after I soldered the wire, and the amp was a bit noisy at idle, but when I shut my soldering-station off (plugged into the same circuit as the amp) the noise completely disappeared, and, all things considered, it's very quiet, and comparable to any other tube amp I've owned. That being said, how much will the coaxial-cable improve the noise levels? I'm not looking for a super quiet-recording jazz amp, but rather a traditional tweed deluxe. I don't want any "noise improvements" to make the amp too polite-sounding.

Here's a pic of the blue-wire, suspended across the top of the board (for easy removal).

Attachment:
IMG_3609.JPG
IMG_3609.JPG [ 1.52 MiB | Viewed 14687 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:38 am 
Expert
Expert

Fender didn't go overboard with some of the things that could be done to reduce noise, like neat heater wiring, star grounding and using shielded cable. Trinity's 5E3 layout does, however. Sounds like running that wire "out in space" as you have done is OK as far as noise goes. But if you ran it under the board the way the layout shows, without it being shielded, it could be a different story.

Glad you got the amp working. If you are happy with the way it sounds just leave the wire as it is. It's in a sensitive part of the circuit, though, and I would replace it with a shielded one. It won't change the tone of the amp. It will just make it more immune to picking up stray hum and noise which is a good thing.

Too bad you don't have nuts to secure the board. You should be able to get some at your local hardware store. They are quite common.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:32 pm 

mitch m wrote:
Fender didn't go overboard with some of the things that could be done to reduce noise, like neat heater wiring, star grounding and using shielded cable. Trinity's 5E3 layout does, however. Sounds like running that wire "out in space" as you have done is OK as far as noise goes. But if you ran it under the board the way the layout shows, without it being shielded, it could be a different story.

Glad you got the amp working. If you are happy with the way it sounds just leave the wire as it is. It's in a sensitive part of the circuit, though, and I would replace it with a shielded one. It won't change the tone of the amp. It will just make it more immune to picking up stray hum and noise which is a good thing.

Too bad you don't have nuts to secure the board. You should be able to get some at your local hardware store. They are quite common.

Thanks for your advice, Mitch, much appreciated.

I finished up the amp this morning, after getting some nuts to secure the chassis. Sounds great! Very impressed with the Trinity Amp Kit. Hopefully, a Marshall kit will be in the near future!

I ended-up snaking that wire under the board (before you said bad idea...lol) but put the shrink-tube around it...I don't notice anymore noise that when I had the blue-wire suspended above the board. Unlikely that I'll actually gig this amp, as it will lack the headroom, but maybe it would be noisier in some of the venues we play at with poor electric and lighting...I can always change it. I would like to get the coaxial-cable sent to me, in the event it's needed in the future though. I'll try and contact Stephen. Thanks again, Mitch. :thumbsup:

Attachment:
IMG_3655.JPG
IMG_3655.JPG [ 1.68 MiB | Viewed 14680 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3647.JPG
IMG_3647.JPG [ 2.24 MiB | Viewed 14680 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3664.JPG
IMG_3664.JPG [ 1.71 MiB | Viewed 14680 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:04 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We will send you some coax wire. An omission but you got it going thanks to mitch!