trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:09 pm 

Stupid question, but I'm connecting a line from the mains IEC socket line lug to the fuse, and need to know which wire to use for this.

The instructions say to use a black wire, but other than the black and red twisted wires, I wasn't supplied with a black wire.

There is a black shielded wire but I'm pretty sure that's not he correct one to use.

So my question is: does it matter which wire I use to connect the IEC line to the fuse?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:29 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you don't use the shielded cable. Ideally the live power connection would be an 18-gauge black wire. In North America usually black is live and white is neutral. But you can use any color 18 or 20 gauge wire you have on hand.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:38 pm 

Thanks Mitch. Would you happen to know which of the supplied wires from the tweed kit are 18 gauge?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:15 am 
Expert
Expert

It's been about 4 years since I built the kit. Mine came with a power cord that mounts to the chassis instead of an IEC connector so it looks like they changed things a bit since then. There probably wasn't any 18 gauge since I could just use the power cord for all the AC wiring.

Most wire in Trinity kits is 20 gauge. Like the heater wires or those that run to the pots and tube sockets. If you have any wire that's a bit thicker than that, it would be 18 gauge. But 20 gauge will work fine for the AC power in this application.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:43 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

You can use cutoffs from the transformer installation or Output transformer installation to make that connection.