Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tweed Smoothing Resistor
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:12 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hello,
Pardon the naive question but I'd like to install the 470k smoothing resistor on V2 of my Tweed. It's clear that it connects to pin 7 but I'm not certain where the other leg goes...is it to pin 3 of V2 or to the leg of the 1M resistor?
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:34 pm 
Friend
Friend

Responding to my own post. Did some more digging and went with connecting from pin7 of V2 to the originally connected wire. Works. Haven't had a chance to play with high gain but initial impression is a slightly smoother gain increase. Subtle though.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:19 am 
Expert
Expert

That's the correct wiring. One end of the 470K goes directly to pin 7 of V2. The other end connects to the wire that was previously there, the one that comes from the junction of R12 and C6.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:24 am 
Friend
Friend

Thanks for the confirmation. For those who might be interested, I've had a chance to check out the results of the 470 k mod. To my ears, this mod significantly smoothes out the harsh tones that can sometimes come with higher volume settings. The entire volume range is now usable (although the ears are going to need some protection). The amp gets into it's own lovely breakup without any harshness. It's even more of a factor when using pedals. I'm currently auditioning an Xotic BB Plus, which is a very smooth pedal to start with and can go all the way into fuzz territory. There was a bit of a harsh edge on some settings (that pesky g string stuff). Much improved with the 470 added. This is and easy mod and well worth the few cents it costs. (By the way, I'm using a Strat with Fat 50's and a Tele with Kinman Broadcasters.)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:03 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yes, and we include the part in the Tweed kits too!