Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Co-axial cable
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:55 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hi friends.
Working carefully through my first Tweed and trying to think ahead. Two questions about the co-ax. The co-ax cable. Does the "poke a hole" etc. just mean separate out the shield from the centre wires while maintaining insulation between them? Second, I don't see where the ground connection (the shield, correct?) would connect near V2. My understanding is that there is no ground (shield) connection at the volume control end. Next question, the two yellow wires from the 68k resistors. It looks like it will be very tight soldering to hook these up after the board is in. What's the usual order for these, connect them along with the 68k's and run the yellows under the board or maybe hook them up at the input end first and run them to the 68k's after installing the board. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Post subject: Re: Co-axial cable
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:03 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hi George

Yes, you poke a hole through the shield braiding to separate out the center wire while maintaining insulation between the center wire and the shield. After that I put heat shrink tubing around the shield and another bigger piece of heat shrink around the cable where the center wire separates from the shield.

The shield connects at the ground terminal of the volume control. Only the center wire connects to V2. Just cut the shield off at the V2 end and put some heat shrink tubing there so there is no way the shield can touch the chassis.

I attached all the wires to the underside of the board before installing it. Then I connected them to the jacks, pots and tube sockets after the board was in place. Some of the areas are a bit tight to work in but it can be done.

Some pictures of my Tweed are attached. The red wire at the volume control is the shield from the co-ax with heat shrink tubing on it. My wires to the 68K resistors are brown and blue at the tube socket end and brown, blue, white and purple at the input jack end.

Attachments:
BoardBottom.jpg
BoardBottom.jpg [ 287.5 KiB | Viewed 6226 times ]
Redo 005.jpg
Redo 005.jpg [ 140.99 KiB | Viewed 6226 times ]
Redo 006.jpg
Redo 006.jpg [ 115.77 KiB | Viewed 6226 times ]
Redo 010.jpg
Redo 010.jpg [ 123.44 KiB | Viewed 6226 times ]
Redo 011.jpg
Redo 011.jpg [ 118.48 KiB | Viewed 6226 times ]

Last edited by mitch m on Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:11 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thank you. Very helpful. Lovely looking build. I did some more searching and if you spell it "coaxial" you find a great tutorial that was don some time ago. Very helpful. I also realized that I wasn't seeing the light grey ground at the volume control. Got it all organized now. I was going to run the co-ax below the board but even though I've heat shrunk the cable, I'm a bit concerned about it touching the pot and causing trouble so I think I'll just go overhead after the board is in. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:55 pm 
Expert
Expert

if you have put heat shrink tubing on the shield and the cable, the shield shouldn't be able to touch anything on the chassis.

You can run the cable above the board if you want. It just looks neater if it's below.

Attachments:
ChassisWiring007.jpg
ChassisWiring007.jpg [ 411.57 KiB | Viewed 6224 times ]