trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:12 pm 

Let me start off by saying I`m not a electric guitar player and have very limited experience building guitar amps (this was my first although I`ve built a few audio tube amps...2A3 SET amps). It`s been a while since I built the Tweed Deluxe for the step-son and he enjoy`s playing it.

A while a go I was noticing that he had a bit of hum coming from the amp, so I went back into the amp and cleaned up a few solder joints and cleaned the layout a bit, tightened a few nuts, added some shielding to a few wires. I then got him to play a bit and noticed if he held his guitar neck at a certain angle in relation to the amp the hum disappeared.

Is the guitar acting as an antenna of sorts inducing the hum into the amp ... and does this mean his guitar is not shielded properly :?: ... or is there some other issue with the amp :?:

Cheers
Frank M

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:09 pm 
Novice
Novice

You're getting hum from the guitar. Here's a cool tutorial about shielding a TELE: http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/tele.php
I havn't tried it but it should improve things. There will probably always be a little hum from the amp and the guitar. There are quite a few ways to get rid of both sources of hum though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:06 pm 
Novice
Novice

Nearby fluorescent lighting, televisions, computer displays, & such can also cause hum....especially with single-coil guitars. Some clubs I've played in have nightmare hum problems because of the lighting, neon, & crappy wiring.

- This Space For Rent -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:10 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Confirm it's not the amp by unplugging the guitar. No hum - issue is the guitar.
I've seen many, many guitars do this. Move away from the amp. Sinle coils areespecially bad for this.