trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deluxe VRM installation
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:29 pm 
Novice
Novice

I thought it might be helpful to some others to show a Deluxe VRM installation. I don't have the software to produce a cleaner photo, but hopefully this one will show clearly enough how I did it (scroll down).

I first relocated the star power ground lugs to the power tranny (PT) mounting bolt closest to the fuse, using an additional #8 kep nut. That gave me an unused chassis hole that was ideal for mounting the VRM between the PT and grommet board (GB). I had a little slack and so could easily push the heater wires from the pilot lamp away from the VRM location (my heater wires are now about 2" from the VRM board and 1" from the B+ wire).

I connected the VRM ground wire (green) to another PT mounting bolt, and the other VRM wires as shown. I used one splice to connect the red VRM B+ wire to the GB B+, since that wire was already nicely installed on the underside of the GB and fed thru an end hole. My VRM wires (except for the B+ wire) run about 3" from the VRM board to the control pot.

The control pot replaces the original On/Off toggle switch on the front chassis panel, and is 1 Meg, 1/4W audio taper with rotary switch. The rotary switch lugs connect the black wires from the fuse and PT, thus turning power on when rotated clockwise (watch out when choosing the pot, because one I bought turned on by rotating fully counter-clockwise, and was thus useless for this application). 1/2W rating or better is preferable for a margin of safety in this circuit, but I couldn't find one with log (audio) taper - there are 1/2W switched pots available in linear slope. But I do like the control sweep of this audio taper pot, and so far have had no issues with the smaller wattage rating. Mine was from Mouser, part no. 31XP601-F, $1.99USD.

I think the VRM is a great idea for the Deluxe! In addition to giving the good sounds of an amp pushed harder at lower volume levels, it also solves the problem of the Deluxe design in giving easily dialed in moderate volumes. At least on my amp, it is very hard ordinarily to set the amp to lower volumes - there's an immediate large jump right at the beginning of the volume controls' travel. No more with the VRM! I now have full use, at all volumes, of the amp's many control settings. I don't have any static or pops or other noise at all from adjusting my guitar controls, even at low volume VRM settings. So I've not changed anything else in the circuit.

This was a very easy installation - took me an hour at the most. Highly recommended for Trinity Deluxes! Stephen, it would be helpful I think if you used your nice graphics software to create a VRM-Deluxe layout to accompany the TC-15 and 18W ones you have in the Forum.

Regards,
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:29 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Way to go Jim!! Now that we have your experience on it, I'll draw it up. Now you need another Chicken head knob though!

Glad to hear there aren't any static or pops or other noises from adjusting your guitar controls. That's a nice surprise

Sounds like the surgery was a success!!

Good Job!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:16 am 
Friend
Friend

I'd love to hear some clips

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:27 am 
Novice
Novice

I'll try to get some Deluxe clips recorded sometime next week (w/ the VRM at various settings) - things are hectic for me right now. All I have posted so far is one clip of the TC-15, w/o VRM. BTW, for my tastes, I haven't heard the need for a VRM on the TC-15, with its MV. The VRM would, to be sure, allow some power amp saturation (instead of preamp saturation) at low output volumes with the Master cranked and the VRM dialed in, but I'm content thus far w/o it - the TC-15 sounds great to my ears as is.

Whereas the Deluxe was virtually impossible w/o the VRM to dial in low output volumes. Now my Deluxe has a full range of adjustments, using the two interactive volume controls and the VRM. Plugging into the bright channel, the VRM allows me to adjust the normal channel volume to vary the midrange (and thus the amount of overdrive) and easily keep the output volume in the range I need. I think every Deluxe ought to have a VRM installation!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:48 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Looking for VRM / Tweed feedback here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2161

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:02 am 

Please send me some samples.

krunker