trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: True Brit
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:43 am 
Friend
Friend

Ok, this is my final thought on speaker shopping! Maybe... Just had confirmation that my Trinity Deluxe kit is en-route, so exciting stuff...now I just have to build it. Help WILL be called upon!

Anyway, in some internet searches, discovered Tayden speakers, True Brit 12" - which is described as offering '1960s creamy blues tones'. Sounds similar to the Celestion Greenback description, which bgroup described as 'awesome'. And its British, hand made, so will boost our ailing economy! :wink: Looks nice too, in British Racing Green!

And then I can always upgrade to the gold standard Tone Tubby Alnico! Just thought I'd post in case anybody had heard of them, used them and wanted to tell me I was about to make a huge schoolboy error in using them in a Deluxe! :)

R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:42 am 
Friend
Friend

I can't tell you that you're making a mistake, and I can't tell you that you are not. I chose the speaker I did because I was chasing the sound of a late 50's Tweed Deluxe that I'd heard and envied many times. Based on my research, the Jensen was going to get me closer to that than any other loudspeaker.

99% of the battle is knowing what you want. I am well pleased with mine, and 2 years into many hours of playing, I've got no regrets. I've had to replace a failed Sovtek Rectifier, (no surpirse there). I got a few NOS rectifier tubes that run just a bit cooler than the Sovtek, and the amp is now a bit more gentle, for lack of a better word. I play clean, with a full hollow jazzbox, so gentle for me is a good word.

YMMV.

Paul

Post subject: Re: True Brit
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:19 pm 
Expert
Expert

And the main reason I'm keen to build myself a Deluxe one of these days is for all the beautiful creamy distortion these amps give! :D :lol:

I agree about the Sovtek 5Y3. They're not real 5Y3s, and they drop less voltage than true 5Y3s. Using the Sovteks in an amp designed for genuine 5Y3s could result in shortened tube lifetime, reduced sag compression and possibly also poorer/harsher tone, as in this case.

rcruz71 wrote:
Anyway, in some internet searches, discovered Tayden speakers, True Brit 12" - which is described as offering '1960s creamy blues tones'. Sounds similar to the Celestion Greenback description, which bgroup described as 'awesome'. And its British, hand made, so will boost our ailing economy! :wink: Looks nice too, in British Racing Green!

Tayden are very new on the guitar speaker scene, although they've been in the PA speaker business for a long time. Several of their range look very promising. I'm particularly interested in their silver alnico speakers, which seem to be somewhat like clones of Celestion's vintage silver alnico speakers which were way nicer than the current Celestion Blues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:29 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I've wanted a deluxe ever since stephen released it; but he keeps releasing really cool amps in between!

I really want a triwatt but it might be deluxe time for me first.

I guess all in good time. Still have a few month before i can afford either!