trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deluxe with Pedals
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:03 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I have recent brought my pedal board back to the house so as a re-jig everything I am going to hook up a few pedals over the next few days and see what happens. I have a phase 100, MXR flanger and distortion, A couple of different treble boosters, TC 2290 (not exactly a pedal), TS9, BD2, SD-1, Maxon Chorus, Little and Big muffs and a Keeley compressor.

Over the next few days I will be doing some testing etc and will record what the amp sounds like with different effects. I will start with - Blues Driver, TS-9, Big Muff and the chorus. I like the fact that the amp takes pedals well.

Later
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:03 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Looking forward to this educational installment!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:23 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Before I got started I wanted to check out this Mercury Magnetics transformer that came my way. It is a model FTDO-59 and is based upon a 1960 deluxe OT. Other than the fact it has a self lead it looks almost identical to the stock Trinity tranny. Size, weight and number of plates look about the same. Started with the Trinity, went to the MM and back to the Trinity. The guitar was plugged into the bright channel high input. Volume on 5.5 Tone on 10.

The two transformers sounded very similar. Feel and sag and stuff were pretty close. The one difference that was apparent was that the trinity transformer were a little warmer and saturated....not much but a little more than the MM. The MM tranny saturated a little later than the Trinity and seemed to have just a little tiny bit more top end presence.

Although both trannys are good and spanky I do prefer the Trinity because of it's warmth. It's kinda cool cuz there is a very subtle transition between clean and dirty. This lets me really find the transition point for touch sensitive playing.

Ok so I am back to stock config with a Tone tubby speaker and a maple cab. Lets have some fun.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:13 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The BD 2 is a very nice pedal. I have modified mine with upgraded caps in the signal path, asymmetrical clipping and sozo coupling caps. The BD2 is designed to provide sweet tube amp overdrive. I find that it is also very good at providing a clean boost function as well. In the segment I will investigate various BD settings that work well with the deluxe. Keep in mind the entire system is very sensitive to pickup output so humbuckers can get a sound with more mids and lows and more total distortion.

Together with the Trinity Deluxe, the BD2 extends the capabilities of the amp by providing more of what is already there....that is smooth sweet distortion and maybe a little more volume. The amp can be set for a very clean tone in wich case there are a couple of options (at least) on how to setup the BD2.

1) Clean boost.
Set the amp up either very clean or just on the edge of distortion. Set the BD distortion all the way off (CCW) and set the volume so you are a bit (or a lot) louder than with out the pedal. Adjust tone to taste. What will happen is single coils will sing like crazy as the amp seems to take on a new character. Real nice with a strat. Also, if you leave the pedal engaged there is world of goodness to be had straight from the guitar. This means tone and volume and grit and lead volume and more can all be controlled using the tone and volume knobs found on most guitars.

I have done a short clip with a tele and the BD2. The amp is set to 5 on volume and 10 on tone. High in put. The volume on the BD was almost cranked so the front end the amp was FULLY engaged in the production of overdrive and stuff. The the BD 2 gain control was at the lowest possible setting. The clip has no eq, no reverb, no compression or anything and is in mono. That's how good the freakin thing sounded. This is not the hard rock setup but it has a clarity that I could get used to. The guitar is a '62RI tele using both pickups. I switch back and for between no boost for the chords and boost on for the single note lines. After 35 seconds it is back to no clean boost except for the last chord.

http://memweb.newsguy.com/~tybone/Sound ... t_Tele.mp3

2) Overdrive Boost.
This is kinda my favourite cuz I'm a rock guy from way back and I love rhythm crunch. For this, set the Deluxe up for pure clean or slight crunch when the guitar volume is on 10. When I am in this mode I usually have the amp tone at 10 and the volume at 2ish and it is after 1:00 am. It's a good way to get a bedroom level going. Setup the BD for as much Gain as is needed and turn up the volume until the desired solo level is reached. Adjust tone to taste. Now back of on the volume on the guitar from 10 to 7 or so. This will now be the crunch rhythm tone. There will be a little less gain than with the guitar on 10 but that is ok. Multi string chording creates more output from the guitar than single string soloing so the overall perceived crunch level (or OPCL) will be about the same. As the amp is pretty freakin' loud I don't normally crank it AND use boost but you can. The amp can be tuned up so that it is crunching all by itself and then you can use the BD to drive it wild. Once again. Clips to come in the morning. It will be my "Family Day" morning project. :wink:

Ok here is the lowdown on the clip.
Les Paul Custom: The first part of the clip is just the guitar, both pickups with volume on 7. The amp was set to 2 on the volume and 8 on the tone. The first part of the clip guitar with the volume rolled off. The second part is the guitar with the bridge volume turned up and the neck volume on 7. The third part of the clip is the same settings with the BD2 engaged. It was set for minimal volume boost and medium gain.

http://memweb.newsguy.com/~tybone/Sound ... st%201.mp3

Cheers
Larry

Last edited by lbethune on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:05 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Clip added. I should be clear how much the BD2 compliments the overdrive tone of the deluxe. BTW, The amp is setup with stock tubes as shipped by Trinity.

LB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:19 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

There are times when I listen I cant tell thats a Deluxe. Wonderful examples and obviously very versatile little amp/box you got there.

How did you set up for clean?

Clips re-posted for posterity:

http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/deluxe ... nboost.mp3

http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/deluxe ... yboost.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:56 am 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
There are times when I listen I cant tell thats a Deluxe. Wonderful examples and obviously very versatile little amp/box you got
there.

How did you set up for clean?

Level - 3 o'clock
Tone - 12 o'clock
Gain - 7 o'clock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:25 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
Set the amp up either very clean or just on the edge of distortion

and the amp??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:39 am 
Novice
Novice

Those clips are making me salivate for my kits to come in. I also build my own pedals (from kits, not from scratch) and I've built quite a few overdrives, boosts and distortions (oh my!) Was it Tom Petty that sang, "Waiting is the hardest part" ? ;)

I bet this amp would sound great with a Fuzz Face type pedal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:47 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Funny you should say that. I have a 70's silicon fuzz face that I have to clean up a little but tonight I will be giving the Big Muff a try. I'll let you know shortly how it sounds.

LB