trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:37 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hi all,

I recently decided to build a Deluxe for a friend of mine. I finished it up a couple of weeks ago but haven't had a chance to really give it a run & debug it...until last night.

I did have a problem with hum at first. The amp sounded fine otherwise so I fugured it was a bad ground. After some pencil testing I found a bad one on one of the input jacks. Re-soldered that guy and now it's quiet as a mouse.

I have my roommate rip through it while I did some knob twisting whatnot. He was using his Les Paul for the most part, running through my closed-back 2x12 with V30's. Here's my observations.

- This little amp sounds incredibly big. Another thread noted that it held up well unmiked in a small-med sized club and I don't doubt that for a second. There's no shortage of volume. Running the two volumes at about noon jumpered left our ears ringing.

- The bottom end is strong, but also nice & tight. It was a little muddy with the LP, especially when we really wound it out, but we did try my Kinman Woodstock loaded Strat for a few minutes and it was just divine.

- Overdrive was very warm & thick. Not hairy at all. It's a treat for bluesy stuff.

- Clean was open & round...even with the closed-back cab. Chimey on the bright channel & more laid back on the normal channel.

- Blending the channels adds more subtle control to the tone & a bit more drive. Not a dramatic shift in character.

- We tried my home-brew TS-808 clone through it and it definately got along well with the pedal in all four clipping modes (stock, 914 asym, ger asym & LED asym). I added a "fat" switch to the pedal a while ago (for my Strat) and that does make it a tad muddy with the LP. But in stock mode (or TS-9 mode) we were in familiar american blues/rock territory.

Overall I'm very pleased with the amp. It does it's thing very well. If you like blues, jazz, country, classic blues/rock, etc. this little sucker will make you smile. I think I may have to build one for myself down the road!

Kirb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:26 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Great to see another Tweed out there. Wonder if you could post your voltages?

How do you find the interactive Volume Controls?

viewtopic.php?p=9773#9773

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:32 pm 

Thanks for the review. I'm just getting a 5E3 build underway...

Did you incorporate any mods, or is it stock. Using stock .1uf coupling caps, or did you go with .022uf?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:48 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

shovelhead wrote:
Thanks for the review. I'm just getting a 5E3 build underway...

Did you incorporate any mods, or is it stock. Using stock .1uf coupling caps, or did you go with .022uf?

The kit has stock .1uf . Experimentation is good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:53 pm 
Expert
Expert

I'm a little too drunk to re-check voltages at the moment! I did have them noted when I did the build but I can't find the sheet...maybe another side-effect of inebriation? :)

I built this one dead stock using Stephen's specs. Quite frankly I don't know why one would want to change it (other than for pure fun factor). This thing sounds freakin' beautiful. It's gonna break my heart to part with the thing especially with the tiger maple cab Stephen's building for me!

BTW, I have an Eminence Texas Heat coming for it. I was originally planning on a Swamp Thang, but I wanted something with a bit more spice. If the amp was for me I'd have probably gone with the Swamp Thang...more mellow & laid back. I have plenty of amps that will grind away already!

Kirb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:06 pm 
Expert
Expert

Oh - forgot to comment on the interactive volumes...Guinness is evil (but a simple pleasure at the same time...).

I haven't really played around with them a whole lot, but as I think I noted in my original post jumping the channels opens up plenty of subtlety in tone tweakage (if that makes any sense). It even changes depending on which way you jump the channels...a bit brighter when going to the bright hi input & jumping to the normal channel & a little more mellow going the other way (not surprising really). It does allow one to control the amount of bloom & chime in the overall tone. Pretty cool really. A bit more overall volume too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:24 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Oh yes. A Guinness drinking amp building guitar playing good time! Congratulations on the amp too. They are good aren't they?

Do you have any pics?

What speaker is in the amp.

Cheers
Larry