trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:00 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Well it was morning really. I spanked out a clip with a borrowed sIII 6V.

The guitar was a Les Paul Custom outfitted with Wolfetone Marshall head pickups.

The amp was set for 6v6 operation with NO boost. I will post the settings when I get back to the studio. I played through 2 2x12 cabs. An avatar cab with Scumbacks on the bottom and a Trinity 2x12 cab with G12-H30's Anni's on top. A psudo 4x12 openback cab.

I miked the setup with on SM-75 placed about 2 1/2 feet in front of the cabs and level with the top of the Avatar. The recording software was protools.

I added a little "room" reverb in the mix.

What a sound. Crisp and smooth. Cleans up real well. It almost sounds like a tele at times almost shimering with harmonics. Keep in mind this is done without the benifiet of boost. I will kick in the boost for the next clip.

Enjoy

http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/v6/6v6_LesPaul.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:38 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks for the post! Your playing and all the great discussion on the boards about Stephen's service prompted me to buy a v6 kit from Stephen. After hearing these clips, I gotta get busy...damn NCAA tourney games are keeping me from it. Need a TV in the workshop, I guess. Looking forward to the clip with boost, too.

GO BUCKEYES!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:31 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

That really does sound good. Smooth, clean 'distortion' - great top end and nice meaty bottom end.

I was just getting into ZZ Top when you stopped. There were a lot of familiar sounds I recognized in that clip. Billy was just one of them. I bet that would scream with a treble booster.

Looking forward to hearing the Boost option.

Nice, very nice indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:12 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Looking forward to seeing the amp settings.

Do you think that the SIIIv6 gets closer to a JTM45 with the 6v6's or the EL84's? My only reference is vinyl and have never heard a "real one" for reference.

Also, how do you like the marshallheads? What differences do you hear between those and stock?

(Sorry about all of the questions, I'm trying to learn in somewhat of a vacuum. Buffalo is predominantly Fender country as far as amps that bands are using.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:50 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

jcny wrote:
Looking forward to seeing the amp settings.

JC, the settings were as follows,

Vol - 9
Master - 4
Treble- 3
Bass - 5
Mid - 8

Boost Off

[quote="Do you think that the SIIIv6 gets closer to a JTM45 with the 6v6's or the EL84's? My only reference is vinyl and have never heard a "real one" for reference.[/quote]

Interesting question. I think the EL84's get the edge that the JTM can get but the 6v6's have the round quality that the is also an aspect of the JTM45. Big clean 2x12 tone. Since I like the grind I'll go with the el84's!

[quote="Also, how do you like the marshallheads? What differences do you hear between those and stock?[/quote]

Gol dangit they're good. They have this out of phase kinda quality that really makes them stand out. What ever PAF he is basing these things on are very well voiced. The bridge pickup compress so nice when you bang bang it and the neck pickup is like butta! I love em. Tons of harmonics too.

[quote="(Sorry about all of the questions, I'm trying to learn in somewhat of a vacuum. Buffalo is predominantly Fender country as far as amps that bands are using.)[/quote]

Dig it till the sun goes down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:39 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Thanks! I appreciate the info :D The more settings you suggest, the more I can use for reference.

I've been trying the different settings you have previously posted with my SIIIv6. Boy does it sound good through the cab Stephen built for me.

I'm starting to be able to notice the tonal differences between the el84's and 6v6's more and more as I play between them.

I'm relatively new to all of this, but the more I hear, the more I can differentiate. Didn't really know what "bloom" and "compression" and "touch sensitivity" really meant until playing through my SIIIv6.

Wow, light touch, clean with a bit of top crunch, hard touch - compression then bloom and sustain with beat harmonics for what seems like forever. I hope I'm not getting the termonology mixed up and you understand what I mean.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. You're a real asset to the forum and for me.