trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trinity v6 Sound Clip
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:12 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I recently finished beating the heck out of Steve's most recent 6V6 equipped amp and threw together this quick sound clip. FYI on this amp the player can select between 6v6 or el84 output tubes on the fly using a footswitch. It also has footswitchable boost. I basically stepped through the 4 different "settings" starting with the EL84.

http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/v6/RB6v.mp3

I was very impressed with the amp. If you listen closely you can hear me cry out in glee periodically. The first part of the clip is all EL84 until 2:11. Then it is 6v6 until the near the end when I start going feed back crazy (el84 with boost). Then it goes back to 6v6 for the jazzy stuff.

This is a great small amp. It sure doesn't sound small though. (note the percussion stroke at 5:45).

Oh, btw, I am using a fender closed back pine cab with a pair of tone tubby ceramics in it. The guitar is a Les Paul Custom. I used the TMB channel only with no channel bridging. The settings on the amp were not changed during the recording. I did change settings on the guitar quite a bit. I did apply just a hint of compression and reverb during mixdown. This is partly because the guy who the amp is for does a LOT of studio work so the applications of fx to guitar tracks would be something he is used to.

Enjoy.
LB

EDIT: mo clips

http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/v6/1234.mp3

http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/v6/6v6_LesPaul.mp3

http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/v6/6v6wb.mp3 < with boost

http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/v6/LP6v6wb.mp3 <with boost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:14 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I think these are all through the sIII (TMB) channel, correct? Here's a snap of the settings:

v6 Tone Control Settings

When I listen to the clips there are times when I get goose-bumps. :D There are tones in what you laid down that I just can't get enough of. I hope Mr. Baker records something soon so I can fill my boots with it. I will press him on that tomorrow during delivery & set-up.

I can't belive the great sustain & feedback you are getting.
Great job and thanks!

Last edited by coco on Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:19 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Coco, thanks. The amp was quite sensitive to what I was doing. It was like there was some kind of link between the guitar and the amp (other than the guitar cord that is). I usually do NOT get feedback like that without California booteek high gain being in the amp description somewhere. There is a lot to like about the amp. There was one part that I could not get past. It is around the 1:40 mark. I think that was EL84 with the boost engaged. I just kept listening to it over and over again like Rain-freakin-man. I had a smile on my face cuz the amp was allowing me to do that. It was almost like every note hit would transition into controlled feedback. (Oooooooooohhhh Yeeeeeeaah) (said like Bender when he is juiced up.).

Needless to say I think you may have somthing here.

As for the settings, those are them in your picture. And yes it was all through the TMB with no channel jumpage. That of course brings up the point that, using just the footswitch, you can get 4 fairly distinct tones from just the TMB channel. 2 boosted and 2 unboosted. You can then add in the normal channel using a patch cord. Or you can use an ABY pedal to foot switch the normal channel in and out. Adding the normal channel like that will double the number of tones possible without changing the amp settings!

I have a feeling that RB is going to flip when he plays it. He will chain you up in the barn where you will forever be his amp building bitch. At the very least he is going to need is tech there to hand him guitar after guitar cuz he WILL want to play everything he has through it. Although I don't have one, I think his PRS is going to light the amp up like a Christmas tree. Of course YMMV but I don't think it will vary very much. If you recall, when I used the prototype in a live situation with a strat it was like that guitar was MADE for that amp. The character of the guitar just came through. Well guess what? The same thing happened here with the Lester (and SG and 335 and Tele).

Please let us know what Rob has to say. I may be wrong but I think he will be impressed.

LB

YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary - ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:02 pm 
Expert
Expert

Man I have got to build me one of these! Great playing as usual Lawrence and Stephen... Love your work! I used my sIII on a live date a few weeks ago and found that feedback spot with the boost, it is just the greatest sound to have, I wanted the rest of the band to slow right down so I could get the best out of it :D
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:58 pm 
Expert
Expert

How does this amp clean up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:07 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

It's pretty clean up to about 5 and then starts to growl. If you plug into the low level input, its cleaner and especially if you turn down the vol on the guitar. The v6 side is a less distorted as they are not driven quite as hard.

You can also determine the amount of distortion with some good finger touch.

If you boost it, it's louder & more distorted (in a good way!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:39 pm 
Novice
Novice

first post here, just ordered my plexi 18 kit today and i come here and hear these tones :shock:
damn, i already know what will be next...that is if i dont kill myself building no#001..lol
tons of tonal possibilities when you use the guitar controls, i really like the dynamics.
keep up thoses clips, they are tha boum ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:45 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Thanks for posting. The v6 can be made from any of Trinity's 18 watt amps [including the one you ordered] . The difference is a longer turret board, octal sockets, resistors/caps and hardware.

It's a more complicated buid tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:04 pm 
Novice
Novice

héhé, thank coco, but i already know that im gonna build more than one, i started building pedals bout a year ago and i can't keep em long enuf to really enjoy them, so i guess it will do the same with theses tone monsters.
i started with the plexi beacause im sure it will open the doors of my brain to new learnings that ill use to build some more, even better each and every time..

...you know how solder fumes can be addictives :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:55 pm 
Expert
Expert

Wow!
Can't say no more.
Jac