trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:52 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Folks, the OSD clips get posted I'd like to share the amp I have that gives me the ODS thing.

Not sure if it's a skyline or BM eq, but it does have HRM and non HRM modes. This clip was recorded in HRM mode, with a 83 Japanese Vintage Strat. The cab was a 4x12 slant cab with 4 G12-65's in it. The volume was pretty low as I recorded this at night. The mic placement was kinda cool as I had a 57 pointed at the top right hand speaker and a large diaphragm condenser 6 inches away from the top of the cab (yes I miked the wood).

The entire clip was played through the overdrive channel and all tonal variations were carried out using the guitar alone. i.e. tone, volume, pickup selector, pick AoA, picking position and pressure etc... With these kinds of amps everything makes a difference to the tone.

https://app.box.com/s/clmnyynqpg9xf7bdtvgp

Enjoy
Lar'E

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:47 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Great playing. I can hear the classic dumblish growl. Hearing that with regular frequency now! Will hear a lot of it when you arrive!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:58 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Spent quite a few hours Aug 29-30 at Trinity Amps HQ with Larry Bethune doing clips with the ODS.

Some of the comments were.
-The PAB is magic
-Great Strat amp
-Great top end
-Sustain is near infinite
-Feedback even at low volumes, even on a Strat...
-Great harmonics
-Fantastic Overtones
-Great Lieelt Amp

My personal WOW moment was Larry playing Led Zeppelin II riffs on the Gibson 335. Not that Santana on a PRS was any less impressive.
The ODS seriously challenged Larry's 50 watt Two Rock Opal head in every respect.

Here are 16 clips from that session. We used a Two Rock 112, Open back cabinet with a Tone Tubby Alnico 16:

Gibson 335

335_OD_Touch_Sensi_Feedback
http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/ODS/OD ... edback.mp3

335_Clean_Clator_2290_HolyGrail
http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/ODS/OD ... yGrail.mp3

335_Dirty_Boogile_with_overtones
http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/ODS/OD ... rtones.mp3

335_OD_Ctrl_Bridge_Solo_Tone
http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/ODS/OD ... o_Tone.mp3

335_OD_Ctrl_Feedback

335_OD_Feedback

335_OD_Fingers
http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/ODS/OD ... ingers.mp3

335_OD_PAB_Overtones

335_OD_Solo_PAB_Some_Overtones

335_OD_Thick
http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/ODS/OD ... _Thick.mp3

PRS

PRS_OD_Solo_Big_Chords
http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/ODS/OD ... Chords.mp3

Strat

Strat_Clean_Chan_SR
http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/ODS/OD ... han_SR.mp3

Strat_Clean_Chan_Touch_Sensi
http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/ODS/OD ... _Sensi.mp3

Strat_Dirty_Chan_SemiDirt
http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/ODS/OD ... miDirt.mp3

Strat_Dirty_Dan
http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/ODS/OD ... ty_Dan.mp3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:20 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
Spent quite a few hours Aug 29-30 at Trinity Amps HQ with Larry Bethune doing clips with the ODS.

Not only great clips but you managed to perfect the Flux Capacitor as well :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:00 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

sazafraz wrote:
Not only great clips but you managed to perfect the Flux Capacitor as well :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:40 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

A day after playing the amp I must say how good it is. It is super true to it's design and delivers a high bandwidth (lots of lows and LOTS of highs) and high fidelity sound where notes just jump out and sustain for longer than normal. I could get my Two Rock to do some of the things the Trinity ODS did but the clean channel and tone stack of the TODS are quite different from that of the Opal.

The cleans are from jazz pure through SRV jangle to downright over driven. There is a lot of gain on tap in the clean channel. This is a good thing for me as it will happily adjust input levels for a wide range of pickup outputs and guitars. I like my cleans on the edge of breakup so no problem there with the 335, Les Paul and PRS. I typically had it set for just above 9:00 o'clock. The Strat required a little bit more of the volume knob to make to get to that level..say 12:00 o'clock or a little less.

In the Opal the clean channel doesn't distort until both gain and volume are nearly cranked... and it's not quite as jangly for some reason. And the TODS had this singular ability to allow feedback with additional harmonics to come through easily. This was true even in the clean channel while playing clean. Notes just rang on for much longer than with other amps especially at house volumes. The Opal did not do this at that volume. Bottom Line is, if you can't get a good clean sound out of this amp you may need a different guitar.

LarRating Clean Tone/Feel
TODS - 9
TR-Opal - 7

The overdrive channel of this amp is truly special. Along side the clean channel it makes the amp quite flexible before you even get to the loop or pedals etc... Searing pure overdrive. Smooth super hot Marshall with an upper class education (Cambridge). The Trim control was key to getting in your sweet spot for OD tone. The key for me was to get good pop and frequency response. The gain will come later but for me the Trim control was like a "How do I want the amp to respond to the way I pick" control. The Level control was set to the amount of overdrive I was looking for and Ration was usually set to balance the volume levels with the clean channel. I liked this channel with midboost on. Oh, and once you engage PAB you're in for a treat. This is the pure unfettered highly overdriven tone that connects you directly with the air resting on the cone of whatever speaker you choose. Like a car going around a corner real fast, everything makes a difference. How hard a note is picked, where a note is picked, glissando into a not (up or down) and pick angle of attack all change the way a sound comes out of the amp. Volume and tone settings on the guitar are critically important as these amps can be set to go from pretty clean to nasty from changes in the guitar's volume control. The Opal is very good at this too but not THAT good.

The overdrive channel with PAB and midboost on is capable of infinite sustain. There is one clip where I hit a major third bass note in a D major chord and it started to sound like a hammond organ once all the overtones came in. The 335 and PRS where particularly good at producing this effect. Overdrive channel, bridge pickup, volume on 3 and picking lightly will provide a clean tone with significant sustain.

Overdrive Tone (assuming no Shredding)
TODS - 9
TR-Opal - 7.5

The clips with echo and/or reverb where done with a C-Lator in the loop with a TC-2290 providing echo and Steve's Holy Grail providing a surprisingly good reverb.With that setup the amp took on a little bit of additional character as you now have 2 or 3 more gain stages to tune. providing no impediment to the harmonices and joy and love etc.. The Opal sounds a lot better with something in the loop. The TODS already sounds super with or without the loop but, as a fender guy, I do love a little reverb and the grail works well.

I'm sure this amp will work for some players and not for others but I was happy with the flexibility. Once you get to know it, the amp is able to deliver some very convincing aggressive rock tones or lead and rhythm playing, Jazz tones, funk and blues tones all without much compromise if any.

Let me know if you have any questions.

LB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:34 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Thanks for the very detailed review. I like your rating system. It great to know how the ODS stands up to other similar amps in the hands of a very skilled player indeed!!
Next I want to see one on stage with you!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:18 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

There's something about the chime and sustain that's still haunting me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:02 pm 
Expert
Expert

Sounds great, classic Dumble chirp, sustain and bloom

Makes sense the strat sounds so good, #124 was apparently built/voiced for a strat player originally.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:26 am 
Experienced
Experienced

kurtlives wrote:
Sounds great, classic Dumble chirp, sustain and bloom

Makes sense the strat sounds so good, #124 was apparently built/voiced for a strat player originally.

Whew, thanks for confirming my model of the universe is still working. It felt like a strat amp. The cleans sure stayed cleaner with at strat and with the PRS in split coil mode. The overdrive channel has a huge range that will work with singles and humbuckers.

Lar'E

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:44 am 
Novice
Novice

When, when, and when.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:37 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

nickkbh wrote:
When, when, and when.....

Now, now, and now ....

But not in kit format. Email if interested.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:27 am 
Novice
Novice

No kit.....Damn.
Are you considering a kit?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:50 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

This amp is quite complicated build in a very small space. It is noise sensitive and requires very neat and tidy build. We currently can't support the additional effort it would take to support builders for this model so we have chosen not to offer it as a kit. Eventually, we will put up a layout for those adventurous ones who want to do a scratch build.
Not saying never, but it's a big deal to offer a kit with good support!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:35 pm 
Friend
Friend

I'd be a customer for this in kit form too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:26 pm 
Novice
Novice

epic clips... nice chops Larry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:49 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
Eventually, we will put up a layout for those adventurous ones who want to do a scratch build.

Have you decided to do this?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:58 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

No, we havent. We probably wont on this one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:37 pm 

lbethune wrote:
A day after playing the amp I must say how good it is. It is super true to it's design and delivers a high bandwidth (lots of lows and LOTS of highs) and high fidelity sound where notes just jump out and sustain for longer than normal. I could get my Two Rock to do some of the things the Trinity ODS did but the clean channel and tone stack of the TODS are quite different from that of the Opal.

The cleans are from jazz pure through SRV jangle to downright over driven. There is a lot of gain on tap in the clean channel. This is a good thing for me as it will happily adjust input levels for a wide range of pickup outputs and guitars. I like my cleans on the edge of breakup so no problem there with the 335 meilleure mutuelle chien, Les Paul and PRS. I typically had it set for just above 9:00 o'clock. The Strat required a little bit more of the volume knob to make to get to that level..say 12:00 o'clock or a little less.

In the Opal the clean channel doesn't distort until both gain and volume are nearly cranked... and it's not quite as jangly for some reason. And the TODS had this singular ability to allow feedback with additional harmonics to come through easily. This was true even in the clean channel while playing clean. Notes just rang on for much longer than with other amps especially at house volumes. The Opal did not do this at that volume. Bottom Line is, if you can't get a good clean sound out of this amp you may need a different guitar.

TODS - 9
TR-Opal - 7

The overdrive channel of this amp is truly special. Along side the clean channel it makes the amp quite flexible before you even get to the loop or pedals etc... Searing pure overdrive. Smooth super hot Marshall with an upper class education (Cambridge). The Trim control was key to getting in your sweet spot for OD tone. The key for me was to get good pop and frequency response. The gain will come later but for me the Trim control was like a "How do I want the amp to respond to the way I pick" control. The Level control was set to the amount of overdrive I was looking for and Ration was usually set to balance the volume levels with the clean channel. I liked this channel with midboost on. Oh, and once you engage PAB you're in for a treat. This is the pure unfettered highly overdriven tone that connects you directly with the air resting on the cone of whatever speaker you choose. Like a car going around a corner real fast, everything makes a difference. How hard a note is picked, where a note is picked, glissando into a not (up or down) and pick angle of attack all change the way a sound comes out of the amp. Volume and tone settings on the guitar are critically important as these amps can be set to go from pretty clean to nasty from changes in the guitar's volume control. The Opal is very good at this too but not THAT good.

The overdrive channel with PAB and midboost on is capable of infinite sustain. There is one clip where I hit a major third bass note in a D major chord and it started to sound like a hammond organ once all the overtones came in. The 335 and PRS where particularly good at producing this effect. Overdrive channel, bridge pickup, volume on 3 and picking lightly will provide a clean tone with significant sustain.

TODS - 9
TR-Opal - 7.5

The clips with echo and/or reverb where done with a C-Lator in the loop with a TC-2290 providing echo and Steve's Holy Grail providing a surprisingly good reverb.With that setup the amp took on a little bit of additional character as you now have 2 or 3 more gain stages to tune. providing no impediment to the harmonices and joy and love etc.. The Opal sounds a lot better with something in the loop. The TODS already sounds super with or without the loop but, as a fender guy, I do love a little reverb and the grail works well.

I'm sure this amp will work for some players and not for others but I was happy with the flexibility. Once you get to know it, the amp is able to deliver some very convincing aggressive rock tones or lead and rhythm playing, Jazz tones, funk and blues tones all without much compromise if any.

LB

Maybe you could provide us with a little tutorial so that we understand.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:53 pm 

ClaraM11 wrote:
lbethune wrote:

The cleans are from jazz pure through SRV jangle to downright over driven. There is a lot of gain on tap in the clean channel. This is a good thing for me as it will happily adjust input levels for a wide range of pickup outputs and guitars. I like my cleans on the edge of breakup so no problem there with the 335 https://livepaperhelp.org/programming/, Les Paul and PRS. I typically had it set for just above 9:00 o'clock. The Strat required a little bit more of the volume knob to make to get to that level..say 12:00 o'clock or a little less.

TODS - 9
TR-Opal - 7

TODS - 9
TR-Opal - 7.5

LB

Maybe you could provide us with a little tutorial so that we understand.

I had an early Opal that is now owned by TGPer PeeCee in Japan. It was an awesome amp with a top notch clean channel that I would stay in for 80% of the time. Fast, stiff, hyper responsive with lots of headroom for a 50 watter in addition to a buffered FX loop and on-board reverb. The lead channel was equally fast and stiff and to me sounded amazing with humbuckers but would need to bring the gain down quite a bit with single coils.

My old Opal is the biggest Two-Rock sale that I regret!

I have not tried the Opal Signature or the octal model.