trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TC-15 funk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:58 am 
Novice
Novice

My good Brothers of the Forum, here finally is a sound clip of my TC-15 combo, finished about a month ago. Pardon the sloppiness in places, and the backing track (Boss DR880) was recorded a bit low. But as a result you can hear the amp front and center, and that's the point, right?

Link, thanks to Stephen, is:
http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/creech ... TE_002.mp3

Tele using various of its 3 pickups (Seymour Duncan 5/2 and Donahue), mostly mid/bridge, then bridge, then middle w/ treble rolled off.

Keeley compressor set to about 1:00 and minimal amount of Boss reverb, no other effects.

TC-15 TMB channel, set more to clean side, bass and treble about 10:00, cut at 9:00, preamp and master volumes at 9'ish (5751 replaced one 12AX7, at V1). One TT Alnico 12.

Recorded with Zoom H4, using its built in mics.

Regards,
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:48 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Papa Jim Creech, nicely done :kool: 8)

Seriously, I can hear every nuance of those hand cut dovetails, just gives it that little extra something :P Great job and tuneage. Thanks for sharing it!

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:39 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Nice Man! 8) Good job on the playing. I like your touch. Did you do it in one take?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:53 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yes, one take. I never have time these days to actually think up something with logic and structure, just start noodling away. I do need to sit down some day and learn how to use my drum/bass machine. It can make some good sounds, but I don't yet know how to program in an interesting chord progression, much less a whole song. It has a lot oc capability I haven't tapped into. And some good presets, so I stick with them for lack of time. It would be ideal to find some local musicians to play with, that's where the real magic lies. But you guys know how it is, between job and family, it's hard to make the time.

Actually, I have 9 kids at home. I know, 9 kids - "this guy is totally crazy!" We adopted 6 of them who really needed a home. Life is very interesting these days. I guess I need to teach THEM to play! should be able to put a decent band together with so many to choose from. My older kids are the real musicians in my family, but they don't have enough time either. Flute major daughter, violist daughter, and three pianists - one is concert ability, plays the difficult Rachmaninoff and Debussy pieces from memory. Makes me feel like a total dufus.. why do I bother trying to play the guitar?

But, ah, then Trinityamps comes along, and the joy returns! Deluxes, TC-15s, Tone Tubbies, Teles with the middle/bridge pickup quack, power chords, sustain, feedback, glowing power tubes!

Enough of this! Thanks, guys, for your kind remarks.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:36 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

That's funny! I come from 9 kids, and because we all live vicariously through our children, my parents insisted that we all take an instrument. I lucked out and took three :lol: The 8) oldest brother in the rock band :lol: :lol: After we were all done my Dad took up the bari-saxophone at 50 :shock: It was a blast putting on the VelourĀ® Family Christmas concert in our living room every year :D

Joe G

Last edited by joeyvelour on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:33 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Hey Jim.

Sounds good, you do a good job showcasing how the changes in the guitar settings and attack affect the output of the amp. 8)

I have a TC-15 combo and love it. I have a TT Ceramic in it and I am going to try a V-30 in it when I get time, but that Alnico sounds sweet too!!

Like the sound you got with that Zoom, might just get one of those!

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:58 am 
Novice
Novice

I'm not crazy about working thru the Zoom's screen menus (mostly my aversion for tiny buttons and having to remember how to do it all). But it does have excellent fidelity. Also records stereo or a track at a time (up to 4 discrete on the Zoom), with the built in condensers or XLR/1/4 phone inputs. Output is only micro jack. Takes the small SD sound cards and has USB interface, to you can plug straight into your computer, or simply removed the card and use it. Pretty nifty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:56 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Yeah, Googled it right after I posted. Pretty cool.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:06 pm 
Friend
Friend

Nice playing - you've got the TC sounding really sweet. You also have a nice high-midrangely growl going there - esp early on - that I don't think I've got...maybe it's the TT?

Also, are you running a choke on this amp?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:59 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi, Richbon.

Thanks for the kind remarks! No choke - I thought about it (and even have one with the right values from an older project), but then decided I like the sounds well enough with the stock circuit resistor. Some possible things come to mind that might contribute to that sound (or a combination of them):

Trying out the 8k as well as the 5k OT taps (crunch-munch switch, if you installed one). I can't remember which I used on the clip, but it makes a big difference in sound at all settings and with all guitars.

The TT-A speaker really does have a sound different from the other speakers I'm familiar with (not a lot, just one or two Celestions, and older vintage JBLs, Altecs, and the like).

Keeley compressor. Mine is usually set about 1:00 on the compression pot. I have their 4-knob unit, which allows easy fine-tuning of attack and clipping threshhold. I found a "sweet spot" especially by playing while adjusting the clipping pot - their standard compressor has this as a trim pot inside the pedal. I've tried three different compressors over the years, and the Keeley to my ears is definitely superior - no noticeable coloration of the sound, very hi fi with good usable adjustment ranges.

The Tele neck/mid and mid/bridge p/u combinations, as on a Strat. We all know and like those, but I've found the TC-15 really loves those (listen to lbet's great clips if you haven't already, as he has to be using that combo quite a bit on his Strat selections). I routed my Tele for a middle p/u to get these combination sounds, and am very glad I did. My p/u's are SD 5/2 for strat in neck and middle, and SD Donahue (tele) at the bridge, for what it's worth. They sound good with all the amps I own.

By the way, I had the amp set about as clean as it will go, with master and preamp volume both at 9 to 10:00 (using the TMB channel). I do sometimes use a SD Twin Tube, one tube only engaged, but only used it sparingly on that clip, if at all (really can't remember).

Thanks again for nice words of encouragement. Let's keep on picking! And again I raise my cup in praise of Stephen and his great amps...

Warm regards,
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:32 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks for the info.

Your clip makes me miss my TC. It's up on blocks at the moment, but I've got my head under the hood and grease on my hands so hopefully it won't be out of commission long.