trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:24 am 
Friend
Friend

I was just wondering if anyone has added one of these to a lightning before?

http://area51tubeaudiodesigns.com/Merch ... ode=cat001

Does anyone offer an addon kit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:30 am 
Friend
Friend

There are a couple of Spitfire type amps with tremolo:
https://schematicheavencom.secure.powwe ... ornado.pdf
https://schematicheavencom.secure.powwe ... ricane.pdf

Cheers,
Rick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:54 pm 
Friend
Friend

I have one of those Area 51 Tremolos- it's pretty sweet and it sounds great. I had it hooked up to a bassman that I built but a 4x10 bassman made of 3/4" pine is too heavy to take to shows, and too loud. So I'm dismantling it. I was thinking about selling (trading) the tremolo so I could help pay for a Trinity cab. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:52 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I’m actually in the process of building a version of the Area 51 tremolo; basically I’m using the tremolo circuit from a brownface Vibroverb. It seems straightforward; hopefully I’ll get it done this weekend. I have also used the Princeton tremolo circuit in an 18 watt TMB. I had a ½ a 12AX7 open (I used an EF86 on the normal channel) so I used the Princeton version since it only uses ½ 12AX7. :wink:

Eddie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:46 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

erl wrote:
I’m actually in the process of building a version of the Area 51 tremolo; basically I’m using the tremolo circuit from a brownface Vibroverb. It seems straightforward; hopefully I’ll get it done this weekend. I have also used the Princeton tremolo circuit in an 18 watt TMB. I had a ½ a 12AX7 open (I used an EF86 on the normal channel) so I used the Princeton version since it only uses ½ 12AX7. :wink:

Eddie

I heard a tremolo on a 60's Princeton on the weekend, and it was fabulous sounding , far better than the thin sounding vesion on a Deluxe.

So, now I would be really interested in an outboard version of the Princeton I could hook in, like an Area 51 trem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:03 pm 
Friend
Friend

Like I said, I'm getting ready to taking my bassman apart, and getting ready to sell the tremolo, so I have funds to purchase a Trinity Head cab. So if you ever think about buying one, we can cut out the middle man :D :lol:

BTW- the tremolo really does sound amazing! I'd like someone to actually offer an add on board kit. I guess I could open mine up and draw it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:25 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Flip me an email. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:03 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

teletroy wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone has added one of these to a lightning before?

Cheif Mushroom Cloud Posted a schematic of a Matchless Tornado. Should be able to adapt that.

http://www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=76&highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:45 am 
Novice
Novice

The Princeton trem is bias trem, as is the Matchless type trem. It's the way to go.

Hurricane and Toronado are almost identical. Difference only in the input setup (Tornado 2 jacks w/ the Fender type resistors) and some values in the trem circuit are a bit different (inculding a little more supply filtering). Interesting - I have no idea at all on how the trem circuit works, so trying to switch things around might be a good tutorial.

Bear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:54 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Bear wrote:
The Princeton trem is bias trem, as is the Matchless type trem. It's the way to go. Bear

I agree. I listened to the Princeton and a Deluxe Reverb and compared them. Princeton won hands down.

Is the Area 51 a bias trem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:33 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

IMHO the 18 Watt's trem is the best sounding I have ever heard. I was a fan of bias wigglers before, but...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:31 am 
Novice
Novice

Is that w/ the original 18 watter values or the one's on that standard 18watt forum mod?

Bear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:02 am 
Experienced
Experienced

The Area 51 is a bias trem. I'm also a big fan of the 18-watt trem, but I also really like my Princeton’s. I have compared both my 18watt and Princeton against my buddy’s brownface Deluxe and IMHO they where both a little better. I’m hoping to have my TMB with on-board bias tremolo finished this weekend, and I’ll see how it compares to my trem 18-watter.

Eddie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:24 pm 
Novice
Novice

I'm kind of surprised that Princeton Reverbs aren't more of a DIY-er thing. I guess there are relatively many originals floating around. Yeah, they don't really crank too high, but they sound so nice, and they have the Fender reverb and trem sounds in a manageable package. Combine with homebrew stompboxes for dirt, and that's a nice little practice/jam/small room rig.

Bear