trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Faulty cap?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:21 pm 

Hi there, I’m finally putting my TC15 kit together which has been good fun, my most elaborate build yet. I’m just trying to isolate the issues I’m having so thought I’d ask here:

Im getting buzz from the speaker at all times, everything turned down, no instrument, all channels etc

Channel 1 is loud, volume knob anywhere past 1-2 gets it outside of bedroom volume. Channel 2 is nowhere near as loud, you can crank the knobs and the guitar doesn’t get much louder but the buzzing does get louder.

I’ve gone over the layout a few times and can’t see anything is missing, voltages are all slightly lower than listed on the layout however - about 10% roughly. I’m in the U.K. with 230v if that might make a difference. When I make contact with the turrets to check DC I get sometimes loud pops through the speaker.

Chopsticked everywhere and no wiring seems loose or causes a crackle, I do however get a pop through speaker whenever tapping one of the .01 caps. Could this be a sign of a faulty component? It’s this cap specifically:

Attachment:
C7F9F3E9-E92F-4E3D-8280-953CF03BAD80.jpeg
C7F9F3E9-E92F-4E3D-8280-953CF03BAD80.jpeg [ 853.94 KiB | Viewed 2517 times ]

I’ve got no replacement on hand and won’t get delivery until the new year to swap it, just trying to understand the circuit but better in the meantime! Of course I could always be barking up the wrong tree