trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Success!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:52 pm 

I had a fantastic time building this amp. It absolutely nails the VOX and Matchless tones I had hoped for. Pretty much powered right up without issue thanks to the well thought out layout and all the tips on the board here. I really only ran into 2 issues...

1) The impedance selector switch is really tight and the knob spins if I'm not careful. I'm guessing you have to index the knob stem? Maybe a dremel?

2) I am located in the West Hills of Portland and have 3 radio towers within a mile of my house. The amp was quiet on its own, but plugging in a guitar cable turned the amp into a fantastic FM radio. The click channel worked to change the stations, and I could fine tune reception with the tone knobs and cut knob :P

Anyway, I placed a 100pf capacitor between each input signal lug and ground. I then placed one 0.01uf cap between the input jack ground and the chassis. This worked perfectly to snub out any radio signal.

The amp is quiet when is should be, loud when I want it to be and sounds amazing. Great dynamic range and a wide spectrum of tones available from dark and warm to sparkling chime. Plenty of headroom as well.

A couple pics...

Attachments:
File comment: Pretty much complete. I cleaned up the shielded wired a bit and added the rf snubbing caps from here.
PXL_20210228_064719567.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210228_064719567.PORTRAIT.jpg [ 1.85 MiB | Viewed 8730 times ]
File comment: The caps on the input jacks. Worked really well to snub out the radio interference.
PXL_20210302_000409069.jpg
PXL_20210302_000409069.jpg [ 2.68 MiB | Viewed 8730 times ]

Post subject: Re: Success!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:37 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Dual purpose--amp AND radio! Really a nice clean build, too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:59 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

lol... my TC15 would sometimes pick up the low-power radio station that my church operated when I used it there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:19 am 

dtp wrote:
lol... my TC15 would sometimes pick up the low-power radio station that my church operated when I used it there.

I feel like this is a church joke waiting to be written... Something something... Holy Trinity... Something something... immaculate reception :happydance:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:46 pm 

A quick update, in case some future builder runs into RFI issues.

I added the VRM to the amp (whole amp), and while in there noticed a subtle buzz that would extinguish while probing with my multimeter, but not when I probed my ground points with an alligator clip. I decided to add some small caps from the plate to cathode. I was suspicious this was more radio interference. 50pf ceramic caps completely cleaned off the remaining buzz and had no effect on the guitar signal. Still sounds super bright and harmonic.

So, to recap....100pf from input to to ground, 0.01uf at each jack ground, and 50pf from each plate to cathode. Maybe I should move? :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:05 am 

Cool! My congratulations!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:53 am 

mikeywoll wrote:
dtp wrote:

Check please essay writing service reviews if you need any professional writers. They can help you with really hard paper tasks from college or school. Even with dissertations.

Right, I have one, but I've heard both the left and right called "top boost" at one time or another... just not sure which is correct. I assume it's the EF86 channel as it's clearly more mid-rangy, but just looking for some confirmation.