trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spitfire speaker
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:27 pm 
Friend
Friend

I'm building a modded Spitfire in an 18w combo chassis & 1x12 cabinet. The mods include the addition of a cut control and a switch for PI shared cathode resistor. (Yes, I will post pictures!) My main guitars are Les Pauls ('57 reissue and '98 CS with historic neck), although I do have a Strat or two as well. Music style is heavier blues, and generally uptempo.

My question is, what is the favorite speaker of choice for this amp? I have several speakers at my disposal:

Vintage 30 (8 ohm)
BBQ Blue Dog 15w AlNiCo (8 ohm, undoped)
Celestion made for Mesa Boogie MC-90 (16 ohm - may be a recone)

They are all quite different, and I'm hoping those of you who have experimented with the amp/speaker combination might have some insight.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:36 pm 
Expert
Expert

Lots of guys here will tell you the blue dog...
I'm a fan of the V30 and I think it sounds great with the matchless stuff...

However, if you have them at your disposal...why not try each one...before deciding?

-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:13 pm 
Friend
Friend

I know, I know... But, my chassis won't arrive until next week and I'm just getting anxious. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:30 pm 
Expert
Expert

If you don't find a good match from your stock, try a Sammi ME300B50 which has got to be the best value for money/sound about at the moment :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:04 am 
Novice
Novice

8)

Welcome Blues Bruthah! The speaker that Matchless for both the Spitfire and Lighting is the Vintage 30 with their own logo on it. I have never heard these amps sound "bad" with any speaker.

I like your idea of building a Spit in an 18 Watt Chassis and Cab. I did one of my Thunderbolt 9 amps for a customer in a cab that Stephen here at Trinity built for me which was a slightly downsized 18 Watt combo...

Man, you'll have all kinds of room to work in that 18 Watt Combo Chassis!
Who ya getting it from?

CR ><>

http://www.geocities.com/woodcrossamps/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:07 pm 
Friend
Friend

Yes, the chassis will provide plenty of room to play in. I had Nik @ Ceri@tone make a one-off out of aluminum, with lazer cut holes. I bought a bare cab from Anthony @ Reason Amps, which I covered with grey lizard skin tolex. I'll put up pics of the cab this afternoon, it looks sweet. The only thing missing from the cabinet is the gold Marshall handle, which should arrive next week.

This whole project came about because I needed a smaller amp to play smaller venues. I had a 1x12 TopHat Club Royale (built by Brian himself), that I absolutely loved, but had to sell when I bought the King Royale head. I had concluded that I needed a bigger amp, because I was getting buried at open mikes, etc. with the little amp. The King rocks, but I discovered it has a bit too much muscle for some clubs. I consdered trying to pick up another Club Royale, but TopHat is moving to the East Coast. I've built amps before (Mesa Boogie Mark 1 was my first) and after discovering this site and the 18w site I knew I had to build. I thought the Spitfire or Lightning would be a perfect amp for those smaller gigs, as well as recording, so here I am!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:09 pm 
Novice
Novice

CrosstownBlues wrote:
Yes, the chassis will provide plenty of room to play in. I had Nik @ Ceri@tone make a one-off out of aluminum, with lazer cut holes. I bought a bare cab from Anthony @ Reason Amps, which I covered with grey lizard skin tolex. I'll put up pics of the cab this afternoon, it looks sweet. The only thing missing from the cabinet is the gold Marshall handle, which should arrive next week.

This whole project came about because I needed a smaller amp to play smaller venues. I had a 1x12 TopHat Club Royale (built by Brian himself), that I absolutely loved, but had to sell when I bought the King Royale head. I had concluded that I needed a bigger amp, because I was getting buried at open mikes, etc. with the little amp. The King rocks, but I discovered it has a bit too much muscle for some clubs. I consdered trying to pick up another Club Royale, but TopHat is moving to the East Coast. I've built amps before (Mesa Boogie Mark 1 was my first) and after discovering this site and the 18w site I knew I had to build. I thought the Spitfire or Lightning would be a perfect amp for those smaller gigs, as well as recording, so here I am!

Hey, that's cool! Nik does alot of stuff for me. I also bought a 18 Watt Bare Cab from Anthony as well as some Snake Skin Tolex to cover it but I haven't had the time to do it yet. Too many builds going. Sheeeeeeesh!!! Can't wait to see your's!

I think the Modded Spitfire will be a great Blues/Rock Amp for you. Probably better than the Lightning for that style. Very simular to my Thunderbolt 9 Spitfire/18Watt Hybrid.

Checked out you band site. You are Henry?

CR ><>

http://www.geocities.com/woodcrossamps/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:11 pm 
Friend
Friend

Cool! Thanks for checking out the band website. Yes, I am Henry (the old guy).

Nik has been great to work with, and I know I'll be pleased with the results. I'm not into high gain sounds, and like the vibe a cranked little amp gives off. From the clips I've heard, the Spitfire does seem to be the circuit for the blues.

Ok, survived the lightning and power outage and took some pictures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:13 am 
Experienced
Experienced

BBQ ceramic Silver Bell. 30W with light dope. Trust me on this one. This speaker kills with Matchless amps! After trying it in my Lightning clone, I can't bring myself to use anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:13 pm 
Novice
Novice

To me I've tried the v30 and g12h-80 and they both sound great with this amp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:33 pm 
Friend
Friend

Quote:
BBQ ceramic Silver Bell. 30W with light dope. Trust me on this one. This speaker kills with Matchless amps! After trying it in my Lightning clone, I can't bring myself to use anything else.

What about the Silver Bell does it for you? I know the light dope will help quell wolf tones without dampening the speaker, and 30W will insure you don't blow the speaker. How would you characterize the sound and interaction with the amp. Also, why ceramic vs. alnico? Does the ceramic provide some needed punch?

Questions, always questions...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:38 pm 
Friend
Friend

Quote:
To me I've tried the v30 and g12h-80 and they both sound great with this amp.

I've got the v30 covered, and will definitely try that. I think the Mesa/Celestion is rated @ 90w, so probably very similar to the g12h-80. I get the feeling that this is a great sounding amp to begin with, and what you like for speaker can be as simple as "what I've got" or as complex as "it adds punchy warmth, without harsh treble, and full bottom"

So many opportunities!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:52 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

CrosstownBlues wrote:
...it adds punchy warmth, without harsh treble, and full bottom.

So many opportunities!!

That is exactly what the Silver Bell does for me :)

It is a warm speaker that helps bring a bright amp under control without making it too dark or causing it to lose its sparkle. The ceramic magnet gives it a little extra punch to help it cut through (though it sounds mighty fine with an AlNiCo as well). You know the drill on the light dope. And, the 30 Watt cone does keep if from blowing, but more importantly, it has a more solid bottom end without going flabby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:13 am 
Friend
Friend

Ok, thanks for all the great input - I've got a good idea of what to expect. The chassis from Nik @ Ceri@tone arrived early this week, and I'm starting the build! I will post pictures of the chassis and amp, as well as some sound clips with different speakers when it is done.

Post subject: What's aBBQ speaker?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:03 pm 

Is it a BBQ variant?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:29 pm 

I think I get it.... It's a type of Grill.. Geesh. What is the world comming to??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:39 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We had to put our spin on it blulu! :wink:

Post subject: Re: Spitfire speaker
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:07 am 

CrosstownBlues wrote:
I'm building a modded Spitfire in an 18w combo chassis & 1x12 cabinet. The mods include the addition of a cut control and a switch for PI shared cathode resistor. (Yes, I will post pictures!) My main guitars are Les Pauls ('57 reissue and '98 CS with historic neck), although I do have a Strat or two as well. Music style is heavier blues, and generally uptempo.

My question is, what is the favorite speaker of choice for this amp? I have several speakers at my disposal:

Vintage 30 (8 ohm)
BBQ Blue Dog 15w AlNiCo girls games (8 ohm, undoped)
Celestion made for Mesa Boogie MC-90 (16 ohm - may be a recone)

They are all quite different, and I'm hoping those of you who have experimented with the amp/speaker combination might have some insight.

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing, this is a fantastic post.Thanks Again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:25 am 

Blulu wrote:
I think I get it time card calculator.... It's a type of Grill.. Geesh. What is the world comming to??

I also wonder the same as you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:34 am 

When choosing a speaker for your modded Spitfire amp with a focus on heavier blues and uptempo playing, you have three distinct options: the Vintage 30 for aggressive midrange presence, the BBQ Blue Dog AlNiCo for a warmer, vintage blues tone with lower power handling, and a Celestion made for Mesa Boogie MC-90, which could offer a balanced tone I have purchased some really amazing speakers check on SassaNews.

Given your Les Paul guitars, the Vintage 30 may suit your needs, but experimenting with all three speakers is the best way to find the perfect match for your setup.