trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:13 am 
Expert
Expert

Brand preference is pretty fierce when it comes to tubes. Some guys do JJ's and nothing else...some guys, NOS, some guys EH, some guys don't care as long as it's not microphonic.

So what do you guys use?

Me? I've used JJ's with mostly good results...In some amps the preamp tubes are downright muddy....I've also had great results with EH tubes, but they arent as reliable as JJ, as I've had a few 12AX7EH's that were microphonic. I never went down the NOS road....

I hear that the new JJ ECC803 is really giving the GT 12AX7-M a run for it's money....and at half the price of the GT! :lol:

Let's hear it!
-Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:09 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Ok, For New tubes:

I have had pretty good luck with the Russian EL84 - 7189A - 6BQ5 tubes. They are called 6P14P in Russia. Pretty meaty sounding and tough. they can stand the higere voltages in the Lightning.

For 12AX7s the Shuguang Chinese 12AX7A tube (12AX7C9) . Pretty crispy sounding, not as smooth as the Mullard, but very good value. Some are microphinic. Have also tried the Ei - great sounding tube, but you really risk microphonincs.

NOS/Used: Hammond tubes with Bugle Boy construction. Same with Electrohome. Rogers Green label; RCA black plate and of course Mullard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:57 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I'm using the Russian 7189 / 6p14p / 6n14n as well. They have a great chime when used in a cleanish amp. They sound pretty good in an 18 Watt too, but really excel at clean and mildly overdriven tones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:30 am 
Novice
Novice

I bought a pair of Ei Elite Gold el84's, made in Yugoslavia ... They're not gonna melt on me, are they? :D heheheh