trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:21 am 
Novice
Novice

I'm in the process of collecting the last few parts I need for my lightning build (see the want ads section, hehe), and I figured I'd run my speaker selection by you guys.

I've got a spare celestion G10L-35 10" speaker, and I was planning on building my lightning as a combo using just that one speaker. I've got a nice 2x12 extention cab (as well as a 4x10..) that I could use if I need more volume, but I wanted to keep the actual amplifier combo small so it would be reasonably portable for practicing (and lessons).

Will the speaker hold up, or will I be bottlenecking the amp way too much? Should I build my cabinet with room for another 10" speaker?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:34 pm 
Friend
Friend

No reason you shouldn't use a single 10 that I can think of. What OT do you have? CraigB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:18 pm 
Novice
Novice

craig, I ordered a custom one from Heyboer; I gave them the specs (4k impedance, the output taps I needed, the fact that it was gonna be used for push-pull with two el84's and the voltage they were using, and they made it for me... :)

They've been sitting on my workbench for two months now, hahah, I'm getting impatient to get everything started now ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:26 pm 
Friend
Friend

I used a 30w Reverend (Naylor) 10" speaker in a little 20w combo I built and it works great. Portable, light, sounds good, what more can you ask for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:32 pm 
Novice
Novice

"what more could one hope for?" <--- Inexpensive? :D

hahah

inexpensive diy tube projects .... never gonna happen i think ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:58 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Remebering that what you listen to is the speaker, don't waste your money on something you wont be happy with. You're building a great amp with good trannys, good board, get a good speaker! I hear the Sammi 12" are good, so maybe they have an economical 10". I just saw 4-10" Alnicos go for $31 on ebay. You might find a good 10" alnico from an organ built by Rola, or Jensen. Those would be good. Keep looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:46 pm 
Novice
Novice

Steven-

well, I've already got a nice 2x12 cab that i built a couple months ago, with some fairly nice celestions that i bought from chris hurley at doberman, and even a (fairly cheap but functional) adjustable attenuator in it.

So, I was planning on keeping the lightning itself fairly small so I can keep it portable, so I can use it for practicing and playing out with my friends, and if I need more speaker volume I can just bring my 2x12. I'm going to do the same kind of wood finish on the lightning as I did on the 2x12 so they look like they match.

So, that's why I want to stick with just one 10" speaker. The G10L-35 seems to be a reasonably well thought of piece of hardware so hopefully it'll work out well.

Besides, I already have a bass amp (modified p1 extreme) and a fender amp that I bought if I need ludicrous quantities of volume, but they're both, well, BIG. I want my lightning to be small but great sounding, with the option of course of hooking up more speakers for more volume.

does that sound like a reasonable course of action?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:50 pm 
Novice
Novice

oh and also, I already HAVE the G10L-35, it's been sitting on my shelf for a couple months now :D

I bought a 4x10 cab for dirt cheap from a music store and one of the speakers was blown (another G10L-35) so I took the blown one and the remaining good G10L out and replaced them with some fairly nice eminence ones, leaving the two other peavey speakers that were already in there.

So, I already have the speaker, and I want to put it to good use :)