trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:44 pm 
Novice
Novice

I need another amp like a hole in the head, but I'm thinking of building a Lightning anyway. I'm looking to keep the cost down somewhat.

I have a Blue Pup and a Silver 10 in Alnico I'm not using right now, and thought I might build the amp around them. Good/Bad??

Does Trinity have a 2x10 Lightning cab?

Or would I be better off trying to sell or trade the 10s for a Silver Bell? I must admit, the Trinity 1x12 combo cab sure does look sweet, beautiful proportions.

P.

P.S. When the Matchless version first came out I tried one at Rudy's in NY, and I believe it was a 2x10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:43 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I have a 2X10 in the shop right now for a customer and it IS sweet. Great bottom end, very articulate, reponsive and tight. It has two alnico Jensen re-issues pulled out of a bassman. lbet came over one night and we taste tested it with the Jensens versus 2 BBQ alnicos (forgot the model). In the end, the Webers got the nod. If you like that kind of sound, maybe a bit bright, then this is a fantastic option.

IMO, one of the best sounding combos I've heard so far, including a 2X12 Tone Tubby 18 TMB. Building a 2X10 is no problem at all. Same dimensions as a 1X12 and the 10s fit perfectly. Just one extra hole and a 4-T nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:31 pm 
Expert
Expert

A 2X10 is 3rd on my list of cab projects...

I'm just finishing a 1X12 with a Celestion G12H30 in it. Next cab will be a Celestion Vin 30....

after that, Some variety of 2X10. All three cabs will be interchangable with my eventually growing collection of heads...right now, until I get rid of that itallian cousin ( Frank Fundzahlo ), I'm stuck with the 1X12 and my half built 18 watter! :)

Post subject: 210
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:01 pm 

The cab I built for my clone was a 2x10 originally. I later switched to a 1x12 baffle. I beleive you copied the Trinity cab plans from it Coco, so that's probably why it works both ways ;)

I was running 2 BBQ blue pups (ceramic), which were a bit bright for my amp. I would give the Blue or silver 10" alnicos a try - they are only like $90 - way cheaper than other BBQ alnicos.

-John I

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:25 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

John I,

Yes, I certainly did start with your plans and your resourceful tips! Only recently did I update them with all that I learned in the interim.

I guess Matchless had the 2X10 idea as well. Their cab is basically the same size so they must have used, or thought of using, 2X10s at some point.

If Paul recollects corectly, they did it in the beginning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:36 am 
Experienced
Experienced

As CoCo said, the 2x10 is very nice. I was surprised but pleased at how well the low end held together. Not flabby at all. In addition to the Jensen Reissues from Italy, we also tried a pair of BBQ 10A100. I liked them better becuase the top end was a little smoother but they broke up quite early. They are in a bassman clone right now.