trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VRM install question...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:25 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Finally getting around to installing the VRM on my TC15! I have it installed and working except for the "de-scratching" caps and I have a question about the layout for those...

In the VRM Kit Builder's Guide, it looks like the 1M grid-leak resistor was moved from the input jacks to the terminal strips at the tube sockets. Is there a reason for this or is it OK to just leave them at the input jacks?

I'll just wire-up the caps leaving the 1M-ers at the input jacks. It's easy enough to move them later if I hear from someone here that I should move them to the tube sockets.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:05 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I finished the install leaving the 1M resistor on the input jacks. Sounds pretty good! I like it! i think using the VRM gets me a better lower-volume "sweet spot" than the Master Volume alone.

I may go back and replace the "floor volume" resistor with the stock from the kit... I subbed-in a 150K hoping to get this one a little quieter at minimum than it does on my 18-watt I installed my other VRM module on. With the 150K it pretty much gets way too quiet at about 12 o'clock.

I love how it replaces the power switch too. That is a brilliant addition to the traditional VVR!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:44 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We did move the 1M off the input jack based on tone tests. If you like it where it is, thats the best.
But, in the span of 2 weeks, you're the second one to leave it on the jacks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:18 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

What's the "short explanation" of how it affects the tone? Is it noticeable enough to make it worth trying?

BTW, I used the amp last night for the first time with the new blues band I just joined. The other guitar player and the harp player were oo-ing and ah-ing over how good the amp sounded saying "you built this?" and just gushing over the whole thing. And then when you I them it sounds just like the $4000 brand-name equivalent their jaws drop.

Hopefully Trinity Amps will be getting a little more San Francisco Bay-Area exposure here in the next 12 months! 8)