trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:00 am 
Experienced
Experienced

This has been a dream of mine for a LONG time. I am a technical geek (math & robotics teacher, computer programmer, electronics, etc.) and have fantasized about building my own tube amp for quite a while. I knew I would never be able to afford my "holy grail of tone" which for me is the Matchless DC30 and so in the back of my mind I always wanted to take a go at building one myself.

That dream was put on hold a little over two years ago when I was struck with menengio-encephalitis, which is a double-whammy of meningitis and encephalitis. Long story short, I wound up in a coma and the doctors were telling my wife I may have to be institutionalized for the rest of my life... if I survived that is. Well here I am today, walking and talking and living at home. I still can't work full-time but I do the best I can. It's a long road to recovery but I do better all the time. Building this amp was part of my unofficial therapy.

I finally came to the point where I decided I could concentrate and focus enough to do this and so I started looking for options for a build and learning everything I could about tube amp construction theory. I think I first heard about Trinity after I did a lot of research into just building a DC30 from scratch from the schematics on the Internet. Then I discovered this guy in Singapore that makes a DC30 kit and from that I heard about the Trinity TC-15 I think form the Telecaster forums. I liked that it was 15 watts instead of 30 and the people there had nothing but glowing reviews of the product, documentation and the service. So, I decided this was the best course, I took the plunge and I am glad I did because as it turns out, all those glowing reviews were pretty spot-on in my experience as well.

This thing sounds amazing and I think the cabinet turned out nice as well. So worth the headaches I had to endure to get it finished (headaches from the residuals of my sickness that is, not because of the actual build process itself.) So, here are some pictures...

Standard disclaimer applies: It looks better in person... :lol: I'll try and get some better pictures tomorrow when the lighting is a little better and I don't have to use my lousy on-camera flash. I still have to do a little touch-up paint and finish the back panel. The big cream space on the front desperately needs some sort of logo as well.... working on ideas for that.

So anyways, thanks Stephen for an awesome experience that I will be proud to play and display for the rest of my life and don't be surprised if I order a Triwatt kit somewhere down the road. After all, Pete Townsend is one of my all-time "guitar heroes."

Attachments:
File comment: Amazing how it went from this...
kit.jpg
kit.jpg [ 816.79 KiB | Viewed 6849 times ]
File comment: ...to this...
IMG_3838.JPG
IMG_3838.JPG [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 6849 times ]
IMG_3839.JPG
IMG_3839.JPG [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 6849 times ]
IMG_3843.JPG
IMG_3843.JPG [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 6849 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:21 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Wow. What a story. I'm thrilled you got this done and and That you love the tone. I really like the two tone colours on the cabinet. Makes me want to get some Carolina blue or sea foam green tolex!
As for a logo, well my vote would be for your name in BIG letters because you must proudly show this off

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:52 pm 
Expert
Expert

Very cool amp there

Any pictures of the inside? :happydance:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:16 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Thanks you guys. I'm pretty happy with it.

Yeah i have a few pics of the guts. I'll try and get them up here soon.

I've also been working all day on a logo.

But I think I need to order some cream-colored chickenheads because the white ones kind of look out of place with the cream face.

These... Image

or these... Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:25 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Cream or a matching blue!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:24 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

kurtlives wrote:
Very cool amp there

Any pictures of the inside? :happydance: