trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Global reverb
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:09 pm 

Hi, I've been watching the forum a year long but registered now to be able to post.

I'm getting ready to build a TC-15 inspired amp but still did not decide about reverb.
I've seen some posts about adding reverb to C-30 type of circuit here and elsewhere, but did not find all the answers to my questions.
The most important is how to add reverb to both channels.

I assume that Matchless attached the reverb output to the second leg of LTPI where the second channel used to be and therefore changed the amp from two channels which could be jumpered and mixed together to channel switching amp. This could be viewed by some as disadvantage (I'm not sure what to think as I didn't play either of them).
Other builders attached the reverb to one channel (usually the 12AX7 channel).
Didn't see anyone adding the reverb to both channels while keeping the two independent channels.

I do not have the knowledge to design the circuit, I just thought of adding a common anode mixer to mix the channels (page 105 in Merlin's book 1-st edition), feed the output of it to one leg of LTPI and connect the reverb to the other leg. This would leave the option of mixing channels when the inputs are jumpered and having a global reverb.
Maybe a global effects loop is possible this way ...

Second option could be two separate (solid state) reverbs each connected to it's channel perhaps where the effects loop is in the original circuit and leave the channel mixing stock at LTPI.

And now the biggest question:
Is it worth to bother with reverb at all? Or do you recommend to use external reverb pedal or even Fender type external tube reverb unit at the input or in original passive effects loop of DC-30?
As I said, I didn't play the DC-30, so I don't know how it sounds without the reverb, but I have a Bugera V-22 with (SS) reverb and a DIY 2W Trainwreck style amp without reverb and I love to have a little reverb on V-22. I play only at home.

What do you think?
My intention is to learn as much as possible while building the amp.
Thanks
Stefan

Post subject: Re: Global reverb
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:59 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Stefan, if you want just a little reverb, a Holy Grail pedal is the easiest way to get it. Kurtlives did add reverb to his TC15 build so you might want to check out his detailed post. But it's a lot of work to add it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:18 am 

Thanks Stephen,
I saw Kurtlives' post, he is one of the people who added the reverb to one of the channels. I wonder why there is no "global" reverb around, is it just hard/impossible to implement, or is it simply not needed?
As I didn't play the amp I can't tell if having a reverb on the mixed signal of both channels is an advantage or not.
And if it's enough to have reverb on just one channel, why on this one and not on EF86 channel?

Thanks for the advice to use a pedal, I might end up with it after I examine all the possibilities.
Also if using a pedal, is it worth to implement a Matchless style passive effects loop for delay/reverb pedals or just use the pedal in front of the amp?
Stefan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:04 pm 
Expert
Expert

stefan_sk wrote:
Thanks Stephen,
I saw Kurtlives' post, he is one of the people who added the reverb to one of the channels. I wonder why there is no "global" reverb around, is it just hard/impossible to implement, or is it simply not needed?
As I didn't play the amp I can't tell if having a reverb on the mixed signal of both channels is an advantage or not.
And if it's enough to have reverb on just one channel, why on this one and not on EF86 channel?

Thanks for the advice to use a pedal, I might end up with it after I examine all the possibilities.
Also if using a pedal, is it worth to implement a Matchless style passive effects loop for delay/reverb pedals or just use the pedal in front of the amp?
Stefan

Global reverb is very hard in an amp with two separate channels which are mixed right before the PI. If you try adding the reverb after mixing your reverb will distort because of the high signal levels.

Either run of the one many nice effects pedals into the front of the amp or do what I did. Add reverb to the TMB (Channel 2) and jumper (Channel 1) EF86 to get global reverb. Turn the channel down that you are not using to get reverb on the other channel.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:50 am 

Thank you,
I'll go through your build report thread once again and try to do it your way.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:49 pm 
Friend
Friend

Since I put unbuffered effect loops into both channels of my amp I was curious if it was possible to use a stereo (two input two output) reverb pedal (like a Hardwire RV7) to get reverb on both channels.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:06 pm 

BYOC has an awesome kit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:47 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

BCB wrote:
Since I put unbuffered effect loops into both channels of my amp I was curious if it was possible to use a stereo (two input two output) reverb pedal (like a Hardwire RV7) to get reverb on both channels.

That probably would work, although, if you jump the channels, and turn one up a little, you'll get reverb on both channels.
Let us know how it works. You might find the unbuffered may have some level problems with the pedal though, it may overdrive/under drive it. It will be more sensitive.