All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:00 pm 
Friend
Friend

I tried.. can't find so far.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:05 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Be careful when buying Transformers. Obviously you can find one that will work. But it may not sound as good as another due to so many factors in construction and parts quality. We have experimented with this vendor and found the products to be satisfactory but not outstanding. The price is good, but some are made offshore. So if you want an average sounding amp, by all means, go for it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:30 pm 
Friend
Friend

I just don't want to pay 130.00 for an OT.
I don't want it to be less than what it can be for an amp.
As I understand it, the 4K requires spkr tap switching.. but some say the
tone comes from this method, so an 8K is not the right OT.
I'm afraid understanding that is a bit beyond me at the present, though I know from
swapping speaker taps and speakers there is an audible effect.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:01 am 
Friend
Friend

I purchased mine second hand and they are Westlabs. I know they run a pretty penny but my lightning is so kick ass I have to recommend them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm 
Friend
Friend

Old post I guess, but did anything come out of the post on some stripped down single channel build kits? I was thinking stock lighting simlar to Ceri@tone layout...that's a bit simple than the T15, and likely some beginning builders wouldn't mind a straight 18 watt light with V, MV, TMB controls. Might not be worth Trinity's time for the 18, it's not that much more wiring for 2 channels, I built the T18 went together great. A simpler T-15 might be nice to lose the whole thing where you have to put the control together with the capacitiors bank for step tone control, etc. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:00 pm 
Friend
Friend

I like the idea little john. Maybe you can find a donor chassis or choose a chassis with like type layout. Also the Spitfire and the Lightning are not too hard to build. They are single channel and rock!
In the forum under Resources>go to the first page and look at Trinity 15 Docs and that is where I got my layout for a Lightning. Super sweet amp. I foolishly sold it. :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:20 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

littlejohn wrote:
Old post I guess, but did anything come out of the post on some stripped down single channel build kits? I was thinking stock lighting simlar to Ceri@tone layout...that's a bit simple than the T15, and likely some beginning builders wouldn't mind a straight 18 watt light with V, MV, TMB controls. Might not be worth Trinity's time for the 18, it's not that much more wiring for 2 channels, I built the T18 went together great. A simpler T-15 might be nice to lose the whole thing where you have to put the control together with the capacitiors bank for step tone control, etc. Keep up the good work.

We agree. It's really a matter of time to get this done. It's been bubbling for a while, but both T-15 and 18 W Lite versions in a 17" chassis.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:44 pm 
Friend
Friend

I have the pt ot and choke.. all Classic Tone. I am using http://www.trinityamps.com/Trinity15schematicrev10.gif
and http://www.trinityamps.com/Trinity15layoutrev9.gif

Size for chassis? I have 16X8X2..my cab is nearing completion, and the chassis could be changed to 16X19.5X2.
and placement of Iron/Sockets kinda funky in my mind.

Anyone got any pictures of a finished T-15.. gutshots and top shots of the chassis would be tres cool.
heh. I said tres.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:14 pm 
Friend
Friend

Basically the Lightning?
ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:40 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Looks good. Neat job. You got it all goin there!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:09 am 
Friend
Friend

So I did it again. Built an amp and sold and regretted selling it. I regretted it even more because the buyer complained about the amp so much. His words are in Green:
Brought the amp in today to stick it in a cab... little surprise as it's not in a lightning chassis! I said I bought the Chassis from Ceri@tone!
Bunch of complaints about the cab he tried to put in were all about the fit.I said I bought the Chassis from Ceri@tone!
Here is a lot of his direct complaints about a $400 clone of a $2500 amp built to military specs:
But I also finally got around to playing the amp today. Man. I hate to be such a complainer.. but it's really a pain in the butt amp. The clean sound is so riddled with artifacts that I thought maybe it was the cabinet, then the speaker, then the wire, then the guitar.. and it's just definitely the amp. I played it through an Eminence, a Celestion and even my Fane in an external 1x12 closed back cab. There are all sorts of different issues depending on what note/frequency I play. High ringing, rattling (tubes?), fizz on the decay (which is at all frequencies). They're all subtle, but there.
When it's cranked, you obviously don't hear all of those little things as much or at all. But clean or at moderate or low volume.. totally not cool for recording or anything. Distracting and cruddy sounding to me on the low notes in particular. Maybe Im overly picky or something.. but I don't see myself using this amp very much in the future.. custom cab or not. Pretty bummed.

Another bunch of comments:
It rumbles/distorts under the notes and then has a quick cut-off once the notes fades below a certain volume. Does that description mean anything to your experienced ears?(condescension)
It's definitely in the amp, as it does it no matter what speaker/cab I plug it in to.

He continues to believe all these things will be picked up by mic for the gigs and recording and they all mostly have to do with the amp at very low volumes.

I loved that amp! Quiet at idle, sweet tone at all levels. I tried to buy it back from him minus$50 but he's committed to keeping it and disliking it.

So build a Lightning to rock, not sleep with.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:08 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

That's a bad experience. Sorry for your troubles. It's a better design than that and it looks like you used good parts. Only comment I can make is using Classic Tone transformers. I never tried them or heard them.
Totally surprised he wouldn't sell it back tho. Sound like a bully to me!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:40 pm 
Friend
Friend

My choke is bigger than the OT.. much bigger than yours.
This amp is built in a combo cab, I'm also building, 1X12, he wants to use his AlnicoBlue from a Vox,
and left the speaker with me to 'tune' to.
Low volumes are not a problem, as he's gigging, but it's also hopefully something he can record with.

I am interested in more clean headroom than the amp may be noted for, as he is happy with his pedal chain for all
the OD and up.

I have used Classic Tones quite a bit. I will admit that in some cases lesser brands sounded just as good or otherwise had the specs required, but I was happy with them.

My actual plan originally was to buy your kit myself. But I couldn't resist doing one alone, first, as this guy wanted the custom cabinet, too.
I can certainly see Hanks reaction to his sale of the Lightning, as I've heard things like that before, and our price for the amp is nearly the same.

I was thinking that if there were any issues with the amount of headroom when done, the amp would take modification and get it into his zone.
From reading about it, and listening to him, both in live performance and conversation, the amp should be
what he wants.

The pics are a great help. I could use an shot of the entire guts... just because I'm paranoid
about fitting things on the board.
I have to put my tubes a little farther toward the rear, maybe, gotta finish the cab a bit more then fit the chassis and check against the spkr frame.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:19 pm 
Friend
Friend

I used West Lab PT OT and Choke. Good stuff!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:38 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Hank S wrote:
I used West Lab PT OT and Choke. Good stuff!

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:01 pm 

I would be also interested in Lightning/spitfire - one channel, volume, tone or T/B and MV
Effect loop in/out would be nice as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:58 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

This request seems to be increasing in popularity. We would call it the TC lite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:34 pm 

Any updates on this? I'm jonesin' for a single-channel EF86 with the rotary tone switch. Seems like Matchless already did it with the Nighthawk. Dr. Z has the M12...albeit with the Route 66 Tone Stack. I think there would be alot of interest in a kit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:06 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Having time issues getting the ODS, TriFly and Bass Amp done. need a few good men!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:34 pm 
Friend
Friend

What do you need? You've helped me so I'd be willing to entertain helping out. I give you kudos for some of these products and the demand seems to there.

My thoughts,

The ODS is a tweakers dream but could be a support nightmare. Cool looking amps! Anyone willing to take it on would have a totally different sound when done!
the TryFly is a great idea especially for first timers. Many people don't realize how little 'wattage' is required for great sound but people are learning.
The B15 is a cool idea. Few seem to venture into bass territory. Bass tone is a different monster and has a broad range of frequencies to satisfy. I was originally a bass player. Bass needs power as well as tone. It'd be awesome to use a B15 preamp into my high power SS bass rig instead of a simulator in the loop for vintage tone...