trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:30 pm 

The only experience I've had with any matchless was with a 1997 HC-30. I played it through a 1x12 with an Eminence Governor. It sounded great.

I don't know if the Lightning is supposed to be like a low powered HC-30 on the normal 12ax7 channel. I know the Nighthawk is a 15 watt version of the HC30's EF86 channe.

If not, is it some sort of a Vox AC-15 wanna be?

Does the lightning have more or less gain than a normal (not TMB) 18 watt Marshall clone.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:47 am 

anybody?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:27 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I believe the Lighting is a 15watt version of the 12AX7 channel of the HC/DC 30. To get an idea of the sound I would listen to some of the clips here. It has a good amount of gain, I would say maybe a little more then a standard 18 watt, but not as much as a TMB. I think it is a great sounding amp, I know I really like mine :D

Eddie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:04 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Sorry 53Tele,

It shares a lot from the AC15 but much more from the DC30 channel erl spoke of. I agree with erl in that it has plenty of gain but not as much as some TMBs. But it has a very interesting front end that differentiates it from the AC-15 and other EL84 amps. Especially the tone controls. In that way, it is more versatile than the 18. I would definitely call it a player's amp. Certainly not a real griding Marshall sound. Listen to some of the clips on the Trinity site under the product/how does it sound and maybe you'll see what I mean.

The Lightning can be crystal clear, articulate and loud. Cant be beat for pickin' It can also do some decent distortion when pushed, but not like the 18W R&R machine.

Some Quotes
----------------
"The two amps sound very different due to biasing and drive level differences. The 18W sounds very Marshall and has that distinctive grind when overdriven. The Matchless amps are much more refined in their tone, even when overdriven. ZP"

"The Lightning borrows heavily from Vox designs, but is not a clone. It sounds reminiscent, but not really the same. Also, there were several versions of the AC-15. Some had EF86 channels and some had 12AX7s instead. Anyway, I would say Matchless amps definitely have a Vox vibe, but they are unique in their own way. s2"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:02 pm 

How about the Lightning compared to an AC30? I'm sure the AC-30 has more head room, but can the lightning grind more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

there is a 220k/100k divider off of the Treble pot wiper. This is just like an old timey MV. If you adjust ratio so that the 220k moves lower in value, while moving the 100k up in value. You can make this thing sound like a Skil saw cutting thru corrugated roofing tin w/ a rip blade, and that's a sound to behold in itself.... :-)

anyway, you could put a 500kA pot in place of those resistors to adjust how hard you want to hit the PI

there's PLENTY 'o gain in the first two gain stages that the original design didn't let thru.....actually, too much

the preamp s an ever so slightl variation (almost exact) of the Vox AC30 top boost except it's over filtered (10-12uF is actually enuf rather than the 22uFs).

PI is stock AC15-30, as is output section with the exception of one thing...the screen 2 supply. Only in the Lightning can you run higher than normal EL84 plate voltages w/o risk of frying the '84s. I've used this circuit in a number of '84 powered amps and IT WORKS GOOOOD

Power supply is an over rectified, over filtered AC15.......and that's a good thing unto itself if you like tight amps (think HiWatt...and I LOVE HiWatts)

oh, and instead of a CUT control, it's a post PI MV

but this amp does not sound like a HiWatt or AC15 or an AC30......it sounds like itself

now get to building!!!