trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:41 pm 
Friend
Friend

Still hangin in this great forum...I don't know much about the Matchless Lightning other than they list for like 2K on the website. Never really considered one, never played one...but Woodcross Site/Trinity and this forum have spiked my interest.

How close do these things sound to the real thing, maybe they sound better? Did someone blueprint the schematic...how do folks know how to build them? Stephen's clips sounds good to my ears. I just wondered how closely all the the clones follow the Matchless design? Regardless, the pricing folks are chargin for their clones seem like a great deal!

Go man Go,

Johnny M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:09 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I have received feedback from at least one customer who said he liked it better than his old DC-30. I listened to both once (DC-30 & a Trinity 15) and they were really, really close in all categories.
So, I guess that being said, DIY or built is a great deal for a great sounding amp that rivals or maybe even betters the original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:21 pm 
Friend
Friend

Better is doubtfull. I spent some recent time with a "vintage" - meaning not the new ones, and these are some serrious amps. The 1x12 I played was killer. I am totally enamored with this amp, it haunts my dreams. I am now in the process of unloading some gear to get it.

I think the clones can be as good.... and thats pretty good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:02 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I've had my Lightning clone up against a 1996 original and we couldn't really decide between the 2. My clone very slightly edged the other one out, but we both agreed it was the Silver Bell speaker beating the V30 and my NOS RCA tubes beating the new production stuff in his in the end.

I borrowed an 18 Watt RI for 2 weeks and my clone killed it. I also borrowed an original Marshall 20W head and my clone killed it too. So, there are cases in which clones are just as good and cases in which they are better. Playing devil's advocate, a poorly done clone can surely sound pretty bad next to an original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

Are the originals true point to point? or do they utilize a stripboard like the clones? I have never seen the inside of an original and the outside only in a picture, does anyone have any pictures of the inside of an original, I would be intrested in taking a look.
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:11 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The originals are true PTP. Most of the clones are tag board, but that kind of construction actually has the potential to be quieter than PTP. There is a site somewhere with tons of photos of amp guts. I'll try to find it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

8)

Her ya go: http://acplink.com/search_results.aspx?Search=Matchless

CR ><>

http://www.geocities.com/woodcrossamps/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:58 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The true PTP on the orginals has got to be a nightmare. Look over the pics. I think the boards are a big improvement in noise and maintenance and cleanliness. Obviously some mfg. think otherwise but that's their perogative. This is better IMHO

Post subject: Of course!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:22 am 
Novice
Novice

They are better because they can be made to meet your exact needs. You can match speakers and cabinets to your tastes.

As far as Lightnings, I've added a Cut control, which I've found quite useful. In addition, I've adjusted coupling cap values to tweak the bass response to fit my guitars, typical volume and playing style exactly. I probably wouldn't do this on a factory amp.

As far as 18-watters, there have been so many people working on those amps, they can be much, much better. 65 amps, Trinity and others have taken the original circuits and expanded their capabilities tremendously.

P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:54 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks for the link & the info! I agree that point to point is a nightmare especially for us amatures, could you imigain trying to trace down a problem in a point to point configuration? I will say that the pics of the lightning have got to be some of the neatist pont to point work I have ever seen. I have bought half a dozen old hammond amps for transformers & so forth, they look like a jumbled mass of resistors & capicitors.
I like the coverd leads on the resistors & capicitors, I dont like the the string used to tie the wires, it looks strong but if it breaks in one spot the whole thing will loosen up. I remember reading about it but I dont recall what the purpose of the blue dye one the solder joints is. I also see it on some of the nuts & bolts.
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:59 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I always figured the dye was so they could tell if it had been altered in any way. There is probably a reason why though, as I belive it is built to some Military Spec.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:54 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

It is just there to let the assemblers know that joint is finished and verified. It is a normal part of any manufacturing process. If you take a look under your car, you will see that every nut is painted to show that it has been tightened and torqued.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:57 pm 
Friend
Friend

Good grief I thought some of mine looked crazy.

I've tried the true PTP on the last to amps I've built and it was a task and a half. Tracking down oscillation was the biggest time consumer.

Oh sorry I didn't introduce myself, I'm new to this board. I've been on the 18watt site for a couple years.

HI!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:40 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Welcome th the forum Bryan.

If you've gone through a true PTP, you know why a board is a real lifesaver. Personally, I think the PTP is a lot of hype.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:59 pm 
Friend
Friend

Serriously I think, like guitars, there are indiviuals that are dogs, and some are magical.

MY LIGHTNING is a giant killer. I have no clue why but I know I have played horridl vintage amps and killer no names. The Lighnings are to be reconded with.

I am still amazed at the bottom end and the volume this 1x12 is capable of!

I am new foud fan forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:33 pm 
Novice
Novice

I've owned a Blackcat and a Bad Cat Trem Cat. I can say this much, the clones we are building (and some tweaking) are as good as the 12AX7 channels I've played on both the Matchless and the Bad Cat.

There's that website that has photos of the insides of a lot of amps. Look closely at the transformers, then look closely at the ones that Trinity offers. They are the same.

Great iron, great tubes and a great speaker will make or break an amp. Good internal parts is important, no doubt, but if you screw up one of those first three, your amp will suffer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:41 pm 

coco wrote:
I have received feedback from at least one customer who said he liked it better than his old DC-30. I listened to both once (DC-30 & a Trinity 15) and they were really, really close in all categories.
So, I guess that being said, DIY or built is a great deal for a great sounding amp that rivals or maybe even betters the original.

That would be ME.

Hey S!

Anywho, I played that DC/30 into the ground up and down I-5 for about 6 years. But I just couldn't get it into the "zone" down here in SoFlo, the land of music so quiet that you can hear forks clink on plates at the pub. Mssr. Cohr rolled me a version of the "A" channel of the DC/30 in a 2xEL84 package (~ Lightning) back when I was up in Ontario visiting me outlaws. Its GREAT. To recapture the "biggatude" of a 2x12 with whamped upon speakers (like the DC/30), I stuffed a well broken-in Tone Tubby paper alnico speaker in there and got a huge sounding amp that retains the charm of a small amp. I mean it gives up the goods at a lower volume and gets that give and take sweet compression from saturating the tranny (a West Labs Matchless OT) without blowing too hard from the bandstand.

I just got back (TODAY) from a busy summer on the road with Brenda and the crew and the Lightning was used on about half the dates ( I used a Komet for the bigger ones). The amp held up great, no doubt due to the excellent build quality and superior parts. And it just sounded so RIGHT in the mix (horns, keys, traps, two back up singers and a diva). Aces, mate!

Ok, I have to chill with da fambly...kids start school manana. You all have a good time PLAYING and don't forget to MAKE A BEAUTIFUL NOISE. The world depends on ya!

Hasta --> Rico

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Earth is an asylum for angels with amnesia - Emerson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:30 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Rico, Good to hear from you. Did you capture any of those cool gigs on tape? Thrilled to hear the amp is standing up to it. Any time you tour, they can take a real beating! Sounds like you had a fun summer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:09 pm 
Friend
Friend

I have played the lighting for a few gigs now and speant 4 hours with the band yesterday. I played my Paul with my lightning. My buddy had a hot rod deville and the other guitar player brougth his m@z Sr. The Lightning 15 was easaly as loud if not louder and kept up with the drummer and the other guitars. Our drummer says "no way that is only 15 watts". I played with the volume at about 10-11:00 and the master at 9:00! This beast is LOUD and the tone and sustan are absolutly awsome.

Everyone should know that the lightnings are incredable amps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:04 pm 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
Great iron, great tubes and a great speaker will make or break an amp. Good internal parts is important, no doubt, but if you screw up one of those first three, your amp will suffer.

Bingo! When I built my Spitfire clone, I bought the West Labs 15 watt set. I think it makes a difference. I have decent tubes, but no NOS tubes. I still haven't decided on what speaker I like best...

http://www.diyguitarist.com