trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:10 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hey folks,

I'm doing an audit on the bag of lightning parts I ordered a few months back...and I've hit a few questions...

Turns out I've got a 1200pF coupling cap instead of the schematic listed .0015uf....not a big difference. Has the schematic changed or an I just going senile?

Secondly, turns out I have a 220uf / 63v cathode cap...instead of the listed 250uf one? again...did things change or am I just losing it?

Finally....having said all of the above, do any of you envision problems if I use the parts on hand.....or should I place an order for the correct parts...

-Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:23 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The values you have should be fine. The cathode cap is +/- 20% so the values might as well be the same. I think Stephen did recently change the schematic from .0012uF to .0015uF, but they are so close I doubt human ears can tell the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:04 pm 
Expert
Expert

Thanks Steve....obviously, both things I can change down the road if I want to bring it in line with the schematic....although, for the life of me, I can't seem to find a 250uf/63v cap at mouser.....all the usual offerings seem to be 220uf....

I was just curious on the off chance that running a 220uf in the cathode cap would be a problem for the el84s...

-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:18 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Not at all. It will have more to do with frequency response than anything else. A 220uF will give you very slightly less bass response than a 250uF, but we are talking about frequencies below the range of human hearing. BTW, you can find 250uF in 100V caps. You can always go up in voltage--just not down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:10 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

It's true, I did change the coupling cap value. Either would work fine as Steven said, ditto on the bypass cap.
You are not loosing it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:33 am 
Novice
Novice

If you wanted to get industrious, you could also change the electrolytics to 20 and 30uf, since that's the only blue Sprague Atom caps that get close.

That plus/minus 20% is almost a joke when you get right down to it.

I like the ones that Nik at Ceri@tone has relabeled. They go up to 105 degrees C whereas most caps you usually see in amps only go up to 85.