trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:28 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hello - I wont be needing it for a while but I need to find out what speaker I should get for the Lightning Im building. I know speakers are a matter of personal taste but I also know individual amps like certian speakers, so what does the Lightning like?? Do the originals use some type of celestion? Ive heard Red Fang mentioned and also the blue bell. In a combo with 1 - 12" speaker what ohm speaker should I get? I heard someone say a 16 Ohm tap goes deeper into the windings of the transformer and therefor sounds better, Im not so sure, I am kind of partial to 8 ohm speakers. Let me know what you guys use!

JOE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:10 am 
Novice
Novice

Joe 6v6 wrote:
Hello - I wont be needing it for a while but I need to find out what speaker I should get for the Lightning Im building. I know speakers are a matter of personal taste but I also know individual amps like certian speakers, so what does the Lightning like?? Do the originals use some type of celestion? Ive heard Red Fang mentioned and also the blue bell. In a combo with 1 - 12" speaker what ohm speaker should I get? I heard someone say a 16 Ohm tap goes deeper into the windings of the transformer and therefor sounds better, Im not so sure, I am kind of partial to 8 ohm speakers. Let me know what you guys use!

JOE

The Stock Lightning uses a Celestion Vintage 30 that has the Matchless Logo on it. A good choice is the Celstion G12H-30/Avatar Hellatone 30.

CR ><>

http://www.geocities.com/woodcrossamps/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:48 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I like the BBQ Silver Bell with my Lightning (I tried a lot of speakers before settling on this one). Also, it is generally preferable to use higher resistance speakers so you get more out of the windings in the OT--you are correct. But, if you like 8 Ohm speakers, what they hey?! This is your amp, right?!

Post subject: I may be no help at all.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:56 pm 
Novice
Novice

Are you committed to one 12" speaker yet??

I am thrilled with the sound of my Lightning with two 10" speakers. I think the quick response of the 10s really brings out the openness of this amp.

Before my cab came I tried the chassis hooked into a 10" BBQ California, a 12" Jensen EM1220, two 12" Jensen EM1220s, 1 Jensen C15N, 1 Celestion V30, 1 Celestion G12H and the V30 plus the G12H (yes, I just plugged into the cabinets of my other amps).

Of these the Celestion G12H (alone) was the best. When my Trinity Cab came I hooked up a BBQ Silver 10 and Blue Pup (both Alnicos) in series and away we go. Much better, more responsive with crystally yet smooth highs and too much bass until I changed the first coupling cap to 500pf. After that, pretty much perfect.

I've been gigging with this amp lately, I don't take a backup, and don't worry about volume or coverage.

With P90s or humbuckers the amp is magical.

P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:45 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I like the sound of alnico speakers with the Lightning. I have tried a

- Celestion Blue (Great but on the bright side).
- BBQ Silver Bell (Very Nice. More bottom end than the blue. I used it in a 2x12 with the Blue)
- Old Jensen style Alnico (Magic)

As for the Ceramics I too like the G12H30 along with the Cannabis Rex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:00 am 
Novice
Novice

By " old jensen alnico " do you mean like a Jensen P12Q? Those are my favorite for a 5e3 but I havent heard them mentioned as a canidate for a lightning. . . . JOE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:28 pm 
Novice
Novice

P12Q's fart worse than my 15 year old son (which is saying something!)

I've tried a Texas Heat, Red Fang and a 2x12 pair of Two Rock 12-65 speakerss with my lightning. I waiver from time to time which I like best. As soon as my 1x12 gets here, I'll try a G12H30 and a greenback.

I like the Texas Heat a lot most of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:30 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I like the 2X10 Alnicos as well. My fave! Bonus - same size box as the 1X12 and I agree with everthing Paul G. stated.

I have a demo 2X10 out with a well known Canadian band right now (multiple Juno awards). I'll let you know what they think of it.

My country guy loved it with 2X10, I just need to clean it up a bit for his pickin'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:05 am 
Novice
Novice

I tried mixing a Red Fang and a Texas Heat together tonight and really liked the results. I'm not usually too hot for mixing ceramic and alnico, but this seems to work. No doubt adding a 2nd speaker takes care of most of my clean headroom needs. I'd like to run it through a 4x12 some time.