trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:40 pm 
Novice
Novice

Okay, so my Trinity Kit has 6 cliff jacks in it.

1. Are they shorting?

2. Since all the layouts show the switchcraft 3 lug, is there a "conversion" for the 4 lug Cliff ones that I now have.

3. Since the Cliff's are pretty much mostly plastic, do they hold up long term? (better than Switchcraft?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:54 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Cliff jacks are quite alright. Yes, the 4 conductor models are shorting. I don't know about the layouts since I haven't seen them, but I can tell you on the Cliffs if you hold them so the contacts are facing up and the opening is away from you, the contacts on the right are active when a plug is inserted and the ones on the left are the shorting contacts. I won't say they are better than Switchcraft, but they have been around forever and Marhshall has used them since the early 60s. I wouldn't worry about them a bit. In fact, I use them all the time and never worry about them holding up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:40 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Scott_F wrote:
Okay, so my Trinity Kit has 6 cliff jacks in it.

1. Are they shorting?

2. Since all the layouts show the switchcraft 3 lug, is there a "conversion" for the 4 lug Cliff ones that I now have.

3. Since the Cliff's are pretty much mostly plastic, do they hold up long term? (better than Switchcraft?)

1. Shorting - Yes.
2. I'll send a drawing of the hook-up. It's actually easier than the Switchcraft.
3. They are very good quality. Don't worry about their long term life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:43 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks, the drawing is excellent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:49 pm 
Expert
Expert

In the old days, I would have questioned whether I would use a cliff over a switchcraft.

I used to be tough on my amps. I've had more than a few go down on me for carelessness. Plenty O Gig, where I jumped, landed on the lead coming out of the amp, and bent the plug inside the amp. Something about the metal in a switchcraft would have made me consider it over the cliff. Even though, with my fat ass coming sailing down on the amp lead, I'm quite certain that i would have busted a forged titanium jack and plug...so the point is kinda moot! :)

Regardless, in the old days I didn't build amps....these days, in the unlikely case where I ever busted a jack in an amp, I would simply replace it, no biggie. Granted, I baby my equipment these days better than I baby the wife....

-F