trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ceri@tone Electrolytics?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:20 pm 
Novice
Novice

I just got a Trinity Kit in and it appears that Nik is having his own electrolytic caps made these days. Bright orange.

Anyone got any inside scoop on how they compare to what seems to be hard to find Sprague's?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:59 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I would guess Ceri@tone's e-caps are on par with Xicon or Nichicon, which means they are not as fast or accurate as Sprague Atoms, but will do the job nicely in a guitar amp. I haven't used them personally, but the feedback I have so far is that they are fine. Honestly, I only use Atoms in the higher end amps I build and use Xicon for eveything else. I can't tell the difference by ear, but I imagine the Atoms will hold up longer. OTOH, the only e-cap I have ever had fail on me was an Atom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:32 am 
Novice
Novice

I'm having a hard time finding Sprague Atoms on line anywhere in 22MFD and 33MFD 450v configs. I'd rather use those if possible.

S2, got a source for those?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:35 am 
Experienced
Experienced

They don't make them in those exact values. Here is a chart of what they do make:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/622/519.pdf

They do have them in 20uF and 30uF which will work just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:52 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Scott_F wrote:
I just got a Trinity Kit in and it appears that Nik is having his own electrolytic caps made these days. Bright orange.

Anyone got any inside scoop on how they compare to what seems to be hard to find Sprague's?

Thanks.

Ceri@tone caps are good quality and up to spec. You will not have any issues with them. Nik buys enough of them to resell them at reasonable prices so he gets his name on them. You can substitute, but I'm not convinced it would be worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:38 pm 
Novice
Novice

I have a personal experience theory that my money is best spent on trannies, speakers and tubes. Once I've got those bases covered, I can concentrate on the minute details. :)

There are some Made in the US caps by a company called Tech-Cap I've been looking at.

But, what kills me is that with a +/- of 20 PERCENT! Good lord, try building two amps to sound the same.

Speaking of that, how do you test a capacitor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:31 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The variance on caps varies :) Man, wasn't that profound?! Most ecaps will vary by something like -5% +20% if you really dig into the specs. That is just fine since overfiltering is far better than underfiltering.

I am a firm believer in Gerald BBQ's assertion that what matters are signal caps, tubes, speakers, and transformers. Actually, I think I just threw signal caps in there myself, but what the hey! IMHO, filter caps are there to perform a utility function in guitar amps. Hi-Fi is a different story, but we are talking guitar amps, right?! You just need to smooth the signal and do it quickly enough. Just about any ecap will do that. Check out what Fender sticks in their amps these days and it will make a believer out of you.

I have some Tech Caps in my Lightning and have no complaints about them. Ironically, I got them from Nik.

Last edited by s2 on Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:33 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Also... HOLD THE PHONE!!! Trinity is using Ceri@tone kits?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Nah. Just kiddin' around!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:46 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Nik is a great source for parts! Hard to believe that he can get some of that stuff cheaper than I can get it 'round the corner in N.A. - and then ship it. Yikes!! :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:24 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Yeah. Nik quoted me some prices when I was ordering some chassis from him. I didn't end up getting any parts that time around, but one thing I remember is Cliff jacks for a buck a piece! Whoa!