trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:09 pm 

Ceri@tone modifiactions are described on Ceri@tone's forum in a "New Lightning Layout - Special Announcement" thread.

Of all the mods mentioned, I'm interested in "change of resistor from 22K to 4.7K as filter decoupling to cathode follower V2 stage".

Why that resistor? Why not playing with paralleled V1? When paralleling an 12AX7, sometimes I see halving of anode resistor's, cathode resistor's and cathode cap's values (R4, R5, C2 on Trinity 15 schematics).

I'm asking because I'm interested in the possibility of reducing "harsh" distortion from Trinity 15.

Thanks in advance and also thanks for a great forum and great projects!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:36 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I suspect it's to give that stage more headroom by increasing the plate voltage.
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:56 pm 
Expert
Expert

Reverb wrote:
Ceri@tone modifiactions are described on Ceri@tone's forum in a "New Lightning Layout - Special Announcement" thread. Of all the mods mentioned, I'm interested in "change of resistor from 22K to 4.7K as filter decoupling to cathode follower V2 stage". Why that resistor?

I have no idea. I hope Nik know what he's doing here. The Lightning is a very well-proven design, and you don't usually hear complaints about it.
Stoo wrote:
I suspect it's to give that stage more headroom by increasing the plate voltage.

That's quite possibly true. But I wonder why would anyone feel the need to do that....
Reverb wrote:
Why not playing with paralleled V1?

There isn't usually enough signal level present at the first preamp stage of an amp to overdrive it. So the component values at the first preamp stage are usually the least critical of any of the stages.
Reverb wrote:
When paralleling an 12AX7, sometimes I see halving of anode resistor's, cathode resistor's and cathode cap's values (R4, R5, C2 on Trinity 15 schematics).

Not very often. If you halve the cathode and especially the anode values when paralleling triodes in a 12AX7, you keep the stage gain about the same, while reducing the output impedance. Sometimes that's useful fro driving a tone stack. However, if you keep the same resistor values as for a single triode, you get an increase in gain of around 1.3 times the gain of the single cathode stage. You see this with Marshall 18W type amps as well as Matchless style amps.
Reverb wrote:
I'm asking because I'm interested in the possibility of reducing "harsh" distortion from Trinity 15.

You're the first person I've heard say they were getting harsh distortion from their TC-15. :shock: To me it sounds likely that something isn't 100% OK in your amp. Have you gone through and checked all the voltages? Also what kind of an OT are you using. Is it from Trinity, or is it from a local source? Are you using good quality tubes?

The only thing some folks might possibly want to tweak, in common with many Vox and Matchless amps, is to reduce the 1.2k cathode resistor in the PI to 820 ohms, to help reduce the possibility of getting some fizziness at certain settings. Ken Fischer has also been known to use 750 ohms for that resistor in some of his Vox-like TW Rocket amps. But apart from that, as someone once said about the TC-15, it's hard to improve on perfection. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:32 pm 

Thanks, a great post!

zaphod wrote:
Have you gone through and checked all the voltages? Also what kind of an OT are you using. Is it from Trinity, or is it from a local source? Are you using good quality tubes?

Voltages are fine, OT comes from a local source, the tubes... are therefore the main reason for harshness, it seems. Speakers are so-so as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:56 pm 
Expert
Expert

OT, speakers and tubes. Those three have the biggest effect on an amp's tone by far, and any of them could make even a great amp sound harsh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:27 pm 

I just finished building a Lightning using Ceri@tone's 4.7K dropping resistor value for V2, and bright cap on the master volume. Needless to say I yanked those out quick and put the stock value of 22K in. I think the increased voltage on the CF made the amp sound hard, with raspy artifacts. And the Bright cap on the MV was, for lack of a better description, "very noticeable" and IMO just not needed.

I'm using standard 18watt trannies with an 8K primary and Nik's OT may be mismatched, so maybe that's why I had bad results.

Nevertheless, I would like to know why he felt those changes improved the amp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:55 am 
Expert
Expert

madditch wrote:
I'm using standard 18watt trannies with an 8K primary and Nik's OT may be mismatched, so maybe that's why I had bad results.

In a regular Lightning from Matchless the load impedance would be 4k. You can achieve that by running an 8 ohm speaker on your OT's 16 ohm output tapping, or a 4 ohm speaker on the 8 ohm tapping.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:35 pm 
Friend
Friend

Your so right phat head.
Nik is the coolest guy ever but that one has me guessing as well.

I also went back to the 22k dropper and only 50pf on the brite cap.
I'm using an 8k OT and CLC filtration before the B+ hits the rail.

With a little tamer PI and series or parallel triodes on the inputs,
a V2A cathode cap bypass switch and the PI trim control that I just added recently, I can get everything from sweet and smooth to a creamy crunch.
If I didn't like building amps so much I'd stop right there.
But alas my single ended KT66 project is calling, solder me, solder me....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:12 am 

The 4k7 resistor was used in an early Lightning schematic in a file called "matchless_lightning15.pdf" . IMO, I think it is a mistake because in that schematic it also shows the screens are fed from before the choke.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:56 pm 
Expert
Expert

FYI here's some more information I gleaned a few years ago, and had saved in a text file on my hard drive. I'm sorry I don't have the original URL of wherever it came from....

ab3640au wrote:
HeeBGB wrote:
If you move the feed to the choke side of this resistor THAT is the correct wiring. Otherwise the screen voltage is too low. I have confirmed this with a friend who had a Lightening on his bench for maintainence. It is also the way the screens are fed in the Spit. ... As I said. I had a friend with one on his bench. A real one not a clone. That's what he said. He had 352V on screens and 353V on plates BTW!

HeeBGB is correct. I reverse engineered a real Matchless Lightning and was surprised to find that there is no 22k dropping resistor to the screens and no separate 22uf filter cap - the screen connection is directly connected to the other side of the choke (where the 22k resistor is normally connected). The "real" Lightning measured 353v on the plates and 352v on the screens. I've modded mine since and it sounds much better - more vibrant & open sounding. I appreciate the comments on the high voltages with el84 tubes .. they're not going to last too long .. lol .. but I prefer to use the Russian Mil 7189's, which handle higher voltages a bit better and sound real good.

Barry M

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:28 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hey
that's just rerally incredible to know
thank you truly
I love reverse engineering ... well.... everything

Thanks for the info :) :) :) :) :) :) :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:52 pm 

I finally finished college and I'm wanting to start learning about amps. This looks like a good place to start. I got a Ceri@tone lightning ahwile ago, and it's pretty awesome, but it could be a bit better, and I want to play with it. i see the cap on the master volume, no problem, but what we're saying here is that 4.7 K resistor by the filter caps should be a 22K like the other two?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:13 pm 
Expert
Expert

According to the experts I quoted from above, the power supply should be done the same way as with a Matchless Spitfire - see http://www.schematicheaven.com/newamps/ ... itfire.pdf

And congratulations on completing college!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:14 am 

zaphod wrote:
According to the experts I quoted from above, the power supply should be done the same way as with a Matchless Spitfire - see http://www.schematicheaven.com/newamps/ ... itfire.pdf

zaphod - You probably didn't realise but there are 2 different schematics in the link you posted. The first redrawn schamatic is correct but the power supply arrangement is wrong in the second (hand drawn) one.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:05 pm 

So I replaced that master volume cap with a 100 pF and that 4.7K resistor with a 22k, and my amp sounds much, much better. It was nearly there before...now it's there. Much more clarity and punch.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:21 pm 

I decided to revisit my Lightning build and was looking on the net and found this gut shot. It clearly shows the 4.7K resistor feeding the CF stage. It also looks like 5 filter caps with the 250uf cathode cap buried in there somewhere. So it looks like Nik is replicating this version. One thing I did to mine that really brought the tone together was add a shared 1K 5W feeding the 100R screen resistors, this got the screen voltage under control a little better. So maybe I'll try the 4.7K value again and see how it sounds.

Attachments:
Lightning_filtercaps.jpg
Lightning_filtercaps.jpg [ 225.55 KiB | Viewed 22613 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:18 pm 

It's easy for me to know.

Territorial io

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:21 am 

The specific modification you mentioned, changing the resistor from 22K to 4.7K as filter decoupling to the cathode follower V2 stage, is described as a way to reduce "harsh" distortion in the Trinity 15 amplifier.
In an amplifier circuit, the decoupling resistor plays a role in filtering out any unwanted noise or interference from the power supply. By changing the resistor value from 22K to 4.7K, you are essentially altering the filtering characteristics of the circuit.
Rainbow Friends: Chapter 2