trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:59 pm 
Novice
Novice

Well, got the thing built in about 10 hours or so. I've built a few amps before, so this one was no challenge.

I went by the Trinity layout which was pretty straightforward. Stephen and I have emailed about a few minor layout versus parts issues, but they were minor.

I ended up putting a new set of JJ EL84's, a new JJ 5AR4/GZ34 and a trio of those new Telefunken copies that JJ is now producing. I swapped out one of the Groove Tube mullard copies, but preferred the JJ. I've got a TAD, a new Chinese and a regular JJ ECC83S coming for comparisons sake. I've got a set of Sovtek EL84's that I'm going to try tomorrow.

I tried the amp into a few 2x12's that I have, a Two Rock 2x12 loaded with their new proprietary 12-65's (too bassy), then I had two Emi Texas Heats in my old Pro Reverb, so I ran them. So so results. Okay, but not outstanding.

I then popped out one of the Texas Heats and put a Red Fang in. Mucho better.

I've got a Mojo greenback copy and a Mojo G12H30 copy but they are 4 hole and the pro reverb is 8 hole, so I'll be waiting for my combo cab to arrive before I can really test those new Mojo british speakers. I hear good things about them and they are american made with british coils. No Chinese Celestions for me.

I did put one of the Mojo G12H30 copies in my friends late 60's Traynor YGM-3 and it sounded very very good in that closed back combo.

I used the trannnies hat Trinity sells. No complaints as the amp sounds outstanding.

Not a ton of clean headroom, but that's to be expected in a 2xEL84 amp. I'm very impressed with the tone.

I think I'll stick with the Cliff jacks on the outputs (I skipped the line out and wired for 4, 8 and 16. But, I dont' get a warm fuzzy feeling about them on the inputs. They feel flimsy when I plug in, so I'll be putting switchcraft in as soon as the Fed Ex arrives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:35 am 
Novice
Novice

8)

Sounds like a great build Bro. I tend to prefer JJ's in my Thunderbolts also. Sometimes I slip in an NOS GE 5751 into V1 for a lil extra Clean. Also, a 2k2 for the shared cathode resistor instead of the 1K5 will give you a touch more clean.

Interested in how it comes out once everything is together.

CR ><>

http://www.geocities.com/woodcrossamps/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:37 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I want to clean up an 15 too & just haven't been able to get at it. Any other suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:14 pm 
Novice
Novice

5U4 rectifier perhaps I read in another thread? Add another speaker?

I've got a 5U4 in a Tweed Pro at my office I'm going to bring home tomorrow and give it a try. For me, cleaning it up involves backing down both tone controls as a starter.

I'm having fun screwing around with it. If I figure out something magic, I'll let you know.