trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

So I've decided to jump on the pile.

By way of background, I thought I'd share my modding/building experience as a barometer for those wondering if they can get into amp building. I hope it doesn't come off as bragging, because that's not my intention. When I first wanted to get into building/modding I had no electrical experience. None, nada, zip. So I was always left wondering when I looked at other people's projects, I wonder how much experience they've had?

Long and short is, if I can do it I would think almost anyone can.

I've been playing guitar seriously for five months (by seriously, I mean at least an hour day with a semi-structured practice routine).

In that time I've purchased, built and/or modified:

Epi Les Paul Standard (Seymour Duncan '59 and JB pickups)
Epi Dot Studio (Gibson PAF '57s)
Fender MIM Tele (Seymour Duncan 1/4 Pounder and Vintage pickups)

BYOC Tonebender MkII

Fender Champ 600 with a speaker swap from stock to a Jensen Mod series and a retube to JJs.

Traynor YCV50W combo with 1x12 extension cab and a Eurotube refit.

A Gilmore Jr. 1/2 watt I built from a kit and a homebrew 1x12 extension cab with a BBQ Silver Bell.

So I couldn't wait until I got my hands on the sIII.

First things first, I took stock and a page from Jimmy James' book and used a multimeter to read the resistors and then taped them to a marked sheet for easy reference.

Next, I soldered the ground bus and jumper wires on the back of the board.

Then I tested for continuity. I can't stress enough how helpful this $5 tool is. When I built the Gilmore Jr. I used it to make sure there were no cold solder joints. And I'm proud to say I didn't need to troubleshoot that amp at all. Started right up with voltages right down the middle. While I know it was a much simpler design than the sIII, it takes away the guessing from soldered joints (hmmm, is that shiny or isn't it?)

Next I populated the board left to right then soldered it left to right.

And to show how practice makes perfect, look at the guts of my MkII. What a dog's breakfast!!! :oops:

I had to troubleshoot it for hours to eliminate a ground hum issue. And that's because I was impatient and in a rush to get it done. I took my time with my pickups and the Gilmore and didn't have one problem.

Last but not least, I'd like to say how great it's been dealing with Stephen. He's been a great support right from when I first sent an e-mail a couple of months ago asking about the sIII, right up to sending me e-mail updates on when a couple of backordered parts will be in. In fact, it was his responsiveness and the testimonials on this site (and many others) that sealed the deal for me.

Anyway, I'll be logging my build here in the hopes it can help others like the previous builders' logs have helped me.

Cheers,
Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:30 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Board looks good. And good advice to take your time. You're starting a nice gear collection there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:30 am 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
Board looks good. And good advice to take your time. You're starting a nice gear collection there.

Can you convince my wife of that? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:01 pm 
Friend
Friend

Looking good there, Axe! It's amazing how fast your soldering skills progress ain't it? I went back and redid several items at the end of my build because I thought the stuff I did first looked like s*#t compared to the work I was doing by the end. Keep up the good work, and keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:50 pm 
Novice
Novice

And while I work on the tube sockets....a musical interlude.

Note: the following clip will either inspire you....or cause you to drive over your guitar with your vehicle in despair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt1fB62cGbo

Oh, and Radiohead's new album is free to download Oct. 10 (you can make a donation) :shock:

http://tinyurl.com/36h9o6

wOOt! :D

And an expert at Deloitte had this to say:

"Radiohead are clearly trying to build an independent business model that suits their needs.

Unless record company giants wake up and find a model that delivers real value to artists technology will continue to be used to by-pass the record companies and in comparison piracy will seem a relatively small problem."

Amen, brother. Stick it to the suits!

Think I'll offer my first album for free. Any takers?

Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:43 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I'll take one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:37 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks for posting that Radiohead link!!! I didn't even know the new album was coming out this soon! :mrgreen: You never know where you're gonna find these precious bits of information, do ya?

Glad to hear that my thread could help another noob get through the process. This forum, as well as the 18 watt forum, have been a wealth of information for me. Good luck with the tube sockets, and keep the pics coming!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

Jimmy James wrote:
Good luck with the tube sockets, and keep the pics coming!

Dude. You jinxed me! I now feel your pain about tightening those terminal strip nuts at V1. I had an easier time convincing my wife I needed another amp. :mad:

Should I be using those small locking nuts for the underside of the tube sockets?

And a gratuitous cute shot of my two supervisors. :D

Tomorrow -- heater wiring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:28 pm 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
I'll take one!

One album of poorly played Peter Green and Joy Division coming up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:51 am 
Friend
Friend

Quote:
Should I be using those small locking nuts for the underside of the tube sockets?

If you're talking about the nylon locking nuts, I would say no. Those are best used to hold down heavy items like transformers. If you think bolting down the terminal strips was bad, wait until you have to solder in those 68k resistors! :lol:

By the way, that's quite a cheering section you've got there. Don't forget the ear-muffs for the little one when you fire up your new sIII!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:11 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:

On the head chassis, the chassis is tapped 4-40 for the tube mounting screws so no nuts are required. For the terminal strips, first mount the tube socket then attach the terminal strips where necessary with the nut, tighten with needle nose pliers. I agree, that part is a bit of a challenge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:11 am 
Novice
Novice

Thanks for the tips guys.

Guess who's a victim of credit card fraud? :evil: :evil:

Some douchebag tried to use my Visa card to buy more than $400 worth of train tickets online - for Italy!

They somehow managed to get the three-digit verification number of the back. The only people who would have had a chance to do that in the last month are two pizza and one Chinese delivery dudes when they took an imprint at the door.

One of them probably glanced at the back and then sold the info to someone.

Checked at Equifax today - no problems with my credit and Visa seems to think it's a one-off.

Still, I had a few pre-authorized payments (Sirius, Toronto Star) on it that I now have to change. Grrrrr!

Just what I needed at 9:15 a.m. at work.

Gotta say though, Visa's security software's top-notch - it knew within minutes that train ticket purchase was more than likely not mine and a rep called within two hours of the attempt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:45 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

thats quite the gear collection for being a player for five months!

Good luck with your amp; you are quite right, v1 is a pain and it doesn't get any easier... i would say that was hands down v1 is the most difficult part of the amp to complete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:50 pm 
Novice
Novice

Revv23 wrote:
thats quite the gear collection for being a player for five months!

*sigh* I know. I have a *slightly* obsessive personality. When I get into something -- look out!

I've had a Simon and Patrick acoustic for about four years but my total playing time up until five months ago was maybe three half-hour lessons and 20 minutes every three weeks or so.

Something clicked inside me five months ago.

But it's weird -- I've reached a point where I love amps and the sounds they produce more than guitars.

Although I still want to own a real Gibson Les Paul some day. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:35 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Revv23 wrote:
..you are quite right, v1 is a pain and it doesn't get any easier... i would say that was hands down v1 is the most difficult part of the amp to complete.

At least the heater wire is pre-twisted..and you dont need nuts for a lot of those #4 screws.. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:14 am 
Novice
Novice

Heh heh hehehh hheheh hehhe heh.....nuts.....hehehehehhh heheh hehheh eheheh.....screws.....h hehe hehh ehheh eh ehehhe he

Real life got in the way last night. I got the pots and cap can installed. Heater wire and pictures tonight.

I must say, just looking at those switch jack inputs is freaking me out. But I will soldier...I mean, solder....on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:25 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Axe_34 wrote:
I must say, just looking at those switch jack inputs is freaking me out.

It's easy, peasy. Follow the layout, look at the pictures. Dont worry about the spacing too much. Leave a little extra wire and just bend it to fit into the holes.

Transformers arriving shortly. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:57 pm 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
Transformers arriving shortly. :D

Double w00t! Sox won tonight too.

Hardware (fuse holder, indicator light, mains, on/off/standby/boost switches) installed and heater wire done from the tag strip to V3.

Homer sleep now. ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:58 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
Revv23 wrote:
..you are quite right, v1 is a pain and it doesn't get any easier... i would say that was hands down v1 is the most difficult part of the amp to complete.

At least the heater wire is pre-twisted..and you dont need nuts for a lot of those #4 screws.. :oops:

Don't get me wrong i built the amp in a wekk i found it uite easy to put together thanks to your awesome guide and great forums. V1 is the hardest part of the amp; but nothing was really "difficult" per se. As you know mine came together quite smoothly. (BTW im still working on getting a mic i swear ill have clips someday.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:43 am 
Novice
Novice

Revv23 wrote:
(BTW im still working on getting a mic i swear ill have clips someday.)

I'm thinking of getting a Shure57 and a Lexicon Lambda (http://tinyurl.com/3c9d3k). I'd then use Audacity for the mix down -- and to disguise my horrible playing behind reverb, phase, delay, flange, compression, fuzz, pitch modulation, overdrive, treble boost and distortion. Oh, and wah -- lots and lots of wah.