trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:02 am 
Friend
Friend

Finally had some time and got my Tramp completed. I ran into a bit of a problem with using the Lorlin rotary switch to switch the primaries of the OT for EL34 use. It appeared that the switch was arcing internally when the controls were dimed. For now, I just wired the brown/yellow to pin 3 to get things going. Im going to try the mini Carling switch with liquid electric tape as Coco has suggested in another thread for this switch. We'll see how that goes.

I also had squealing when the controls were dimed but this was easily fixed by moving the wires coming from V1 around a bit.

In a word, the amp sounds great! I plugged it into my Vox AC30 cabinet and was amazed at how many tones i can get from the Tramp. Now i need to decide what speakers to use. I think i might make a cabinet loaded with 2 10" speakers.

Excellent little amp!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:26 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Eminence Texas Heat. Have heard it with Tramp. Good tone top to bottom. Also, see page 2, Tramp board, "Speaker Suggestions".

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:14 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

If you're not using the PAB hole AND the mini Carling does arc, you can directly mount the bigger Carling switch in PAB hole. I have used it in both Tramps and both have been played maxed out w/ no signs of arcing. Mouser 691-2GL50-73 for $7.22 USD. Don't know what the shipping would be though. Would still like to see gut shot of amp :!: And you'll like the EL34 power tube (well, I do and I'm not a player, but just banging around w/ a test guitar and hearing real players using the amp, it seems smoother than the 6L6). PS Didn't heat shrink or otherwise insulate the lugs on the big switch and no arcing at max loads.