trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:02 am 
Friend
Friend

Hi all,
My name is Dougal and this is my first post here, but I've been lurking for a little while checking out specs and sound clips.
I'm looking to build an 18W head for my next project to go with my other amps - a Blackface Vibrolux Reverb I built from a Marsh kit, and a Tweed Deluxe-ish amp I bought a few years ago.

I've ruled out the Plexi MKII (not really a fan of the Brown Sound), and the v6 (I have enough 6V6/6L6 amplification in my arsenal already). So it's down to a choice between the sIII and the Plexi. The 18W will run through a Friedman 2x12 cab loaded with V30s so I'm sure either would work through these speakers.

I know there are no wrong answers here and I love the tones from both voicings but looking for others insight and input. I'm leaning more towards the Plexi option as I feel that will give me the bigger point of difference from what I've already got. I don't rule out building both down the track (or a TC-15 or Triwatt for that matter), but would probably invoke the wrath of the Minister for War and Finance if I bought two kits at once :o.

All opinions welcomed and looking forward to pulling the trigger on a kit soon.

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

I just built a Plexi head in January so I’m still getting on to all that it has to offer. I will say that it can get a great crunch tone; early AC/DC, ZZ Top, Free. Not a high gain amp but it will give some feedback induced sustain. Great lead tones. Lots of bass. The cleans are nice as well. The kit is very well done. The cabinet quality is outstanding if you choose to buy it. I’m very happy with my build.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:44 pm 

Well listen to sound clips and decide which you would choose if you could only have 1 amp then remember that you can mod the build by changing certain caps and components so you can get a lot of tone shaping available.

My choice and I own one would be plexi, mine was modded and can do AC/DC,ZZ Top,Aerosmith GnR all without ever needing a pedal. Instant classic rock with beautiful cleans and awesome blues tones. I plug a fender outboard reverb into my head and get cleans so great I pinch myself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:14 pm 
Friend
Friend

Many thanks for the suggestions. After a couple of emails with Stephen I've just ordered a plexi kit.
Looking forward to sharing build pics and maybe some sound clips eventually.