trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:37 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The mod to run 6L6 and EL34 in the Tramp has a DPST switch shown in the layout. The only DPST switch I found at Antique Electronic Supply has 4 lugs, Layout diagram of switch shows a switch with what appears to be 6 lugs. What type of switch should be used, where can I find a 6 lug DPST if required, brand and what should it be rated for? I don't wnat to place a small order w/ DigiKey or Mouser unless I have to.

I want to have the right switch when I order and build the Tramp kit next year. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:27 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Hankules,

You want a beefy switch for this, and here's what I used...might be overkill but it works:

Carling DPDT heavy duty toggle, 2GL50-73. This one has the solder lugs. Available through Mouser.
15A@125vac and 10A@250vac. 1/2" mounting hole. Dimensions are 0.75" x 1 3/8", approximately 1 1/8" high including solder lugs.

You may have to enlarge one of the unused chassis holes to accommodate the switch. It might be prudent to install the switch before mounting the board, but check for clearance between the side of the chassis and the edge of the board. Also, I recommend putting heat shrink over the lugs after you get it all wired up. I've installed the switch such that the toggle swings from left to right (rather than front to rear)...more clearance that way.

I've tried several different power tubes in the Tramp (6V6, EL34, 6L6, 5881) and I feel the EL34 is the best sounding of all of them. Very full, warm, lots of clarity. Will give you more headroom. Only a slightly noticeable increase in loudness but a bigger fuller sound. I'm considering installing another switchable cathode resistor to better pair with the EL34, but it sounds good as it is.

Good luck with the build! This is a great and fun little amp...it can do it all!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:10 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We suggest if you use a mini switch that you gang the lugs together to increase the current carrying capacity. These mini switches have 4-5A contacts so they are fine on the primary side.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:15 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Thank you both for your replies. Pharmrock, I was able to find the switch using the part # you provided and definitely looks real beefy. Stephen, what confused me was the layout and build guide diagrams seemed to show a DPDT switch, but was called a DPST in the text. Again, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:00 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Hankules wrote:
Stephen, what confused me was the layout and build guide diagrams seemed to show a DPDT switch, but was called a DPST in the text. Again, thanks!

Fixed!