trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Speaker suggestions?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:57 pm 
Novice
Novice

Can anyone suggest a speaker for the tramp? right now I'm looking at this https://wgs4.com/content/vet10 as I'm on a somewhat strict budget. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Speaker suggestions?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:16 pm 
Expert
Expert

It depends on what you want to get out of your Tramp. The Veteran 10 is Celestion Greenback-ish, and if you want a more Marshally vibe it will do the trick. If you're looking for a more Fendery vibe, the G10C or the new G10C/S might be a better choice.

I think the best all-around sounding speaker for the Tramp is a "Brit voiced" alnico. I loved the Emi Red Fang with the amp (similar to a Celestion Blue from what I understand). WGS has a similar speaker (the G10A) but it is over 5x the price of the Vet.

I ordered a Tone Tubby San Rafael 10 with my Tramp and hated it, but my cousin absolutely adored it (so much so that he bought my amp after 10 minutes playing through it). It was too claustrophobic for my taste, but it did sound nice with his '69 Tele pumping through it. I also have a 10" Alnico that I had intended to try in my Tramp, but it was sold before I got a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:57 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I was considering a Red Fang as well...I ordered my baffle for a 12" speaker and this seemed like it might be a good fit.
When I get the build done, I plan on doing a little speaker experimentation and recording some clips. If it fits, I wlll try a Celestion Blue with a hemp recone, as well as a G12H30 Heritage, a WGS Green Beret and a BBQ Ceramic Blue Dog. May be a few weeks before I get to it, but it might be a good resource. Of course, most people will be using a 10" speaker so the application of my speaker samples might be limited.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:04 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I use a G10A in the combo and have a 210 loaded with two vet 10 speakers. I have tried other combinations, but I like the G10A the best and the veteran 10 is the best bang for the buck.
I have no issues using a veteran 10 in the combo either.

Tele's make the best noise

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:13 pm 
Friend
Friend

I am in the process of trying various 10" speakers in my tramp and here is what I found. I have 2 BBQs (Silver 10 and Blue Pup alnicos) in my lightning clone and they sound great together with the tramp. When I tried them one at a time installed in the tramp, the Silver 10 seemed a little muddy, especially with humbuckers (Gibson 335) and the Blue pup was too bright. I put a Jensen P10R alnico in the tramp and it also sounded muddy with the humbuckers. I then installed a Jensen C10Q and it sounded the best of all. Still gets a little muddy with the 335 on the 'Tude setting but sound good on the tweed setting. When playing my strat though all of the above, it sounded pretty good, especially with the C10Q. I had originally wanted to go with an Alnico but I am now leaning towards a ceramic speaker. Has anyone tried any of the Eminence 10" speakers yet? The reviews on the Patriot Copperhead 10" state that it is a great replacement for the Jensen C10Q. Also has anyone noticed that humbuckers do not sound as good as single coils through the Tramp?

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:01 am 
Expert
Expert

dpm309 wrote:
Also has anyone noticed that humbuckers do not sound as good as single coils through the Tramp?

Not that I've heard so far. And a Les Paul with humbuckers was one of the reference guitars the prototype Tramp was extensively tested with. The Tude mode also gives a bit more brightness, plus there's plenty of adjustment available on your tone controls. So I don't see that you should realy be having any problems.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:05 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

dpm309 wrote:
Also has anyone noticed that humbuckers do not sound as good as single coils through the Tramp?

No one has commented on that, in fact, Ross Neilson www.rossneilsen.com/ absolutely tears it up with them and loves it that way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:00 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I use an ext cab with my Tramp and have tried many combos of speakers with it. I use P90s, single coil and humbuckers, many brands of pick ups and guitars.
There are a couple of guitars that I have/had that didn't really sound good with the Tramp, but they didn't with any other amp I have.
As for speakers, since my earlier post I have switched to a vet10 in the combo with a 6L6, and I find I use the ext cab less.
Snarls quite nicely

Tele's make the best noise

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

Reviving this thread to see if there's any new suggestions in the last 5 years, trying to decide on a speaker for my Tramp build.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:24 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I am a huge fan of WGS speakers. A search of their forum will point you to the right speaker from their line.

The semi-new Jensen Jet line of speakers are getting some good reviews too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:56 pm 
Novice
Novice

Leaning towards the WGS VET10 or ET10 currently.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:48 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Their ET speakers match up VERY well with Deluxe Reverb type amps. The Vet series are great for mid to high-gain stuff.

Now, a 2x10 with BOTH of those speakers in there would be amazing. You'd get the best of both worlds. But you'd have to lug around a 2x10. I have been planing on experimenting with moving from 1x12 to 2x10 for my stage amps. My next cabinet I build is going to be that exact WGS speaker pairing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:34 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I recall the Emi Red Fang was reviewed very favourably in the Tramp, both the 10" and the 12" versions. I know the Emi Texas Heat sounds great if you ever plan to go 12" because that's what I'm running now, nice touch sensitivity and ballsy tone. I mean "Jalapeño" Tone Stack combined with "Texas Heat"' what could possibly go wrong? 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:09 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Jensen Blackbird Alnico is what we use in a standard combo build. Tone Tubby red is the upgrade. 10" standard or 12" shoehorned in

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:03 pm 
Friend
Friend

My favorite speaker would change size and stiffness as needed to stay right on the edge of, but not exceeding it's capability to stay together and not fold, maybe just a few hairs stiffer and a bit more bullet proof.
As amps got bigger, designers of the speakers had to 'adjust' design [to avoid the worst nightmare of trying to launch any type of speaker...it blows too easily. In the case of the first famous English guitar speaker, the "Radio speaker" [salvaged from radio], news got to Jim M and Celestion that this is a preferred guitar speaker, a stiffened cone and a bit more power handling...enter the first celestion. The closest thing I believe is the A Blue 15watts.
Old radio and organ speakers? I have the Tramp on an Alnico Hammond 12''
As soon as the watts or power handling is bumped up, the original design characteristics seem required to change suit too.
What blows speakers these days ~ is heat, I believe it's when the speaker is in a situation where it can't be heard, sounding like crap as it attempts to exceed it's limitations while not keeping up with the other speakers. THat's not a good situation for sound or speakers.
Generally speakers last very long when sounding good [within their optimal 'window' of volume/tone compromises].
I would guess it's around 8watts that I prefer hearing a 10'' or 12'' speaker cone transducing. Driving amazing amounts of power through say a 12'' speaker, the speaker might be even working really well but the air doesn't sound friendly when super-compressed, yes it can be extremely loud, enough to cut through an intense band mix, no guarantee the tone will be close to anything or that the highs will be sweet.
It's all personal preference and :lol: hearing preservation.
So, IME, a lighweight-ish Alnico seems to have low listener fatigue, and a certain set of compromises [every speaker has 'em] to include a smooth type of compression.
Tramp is necessarily easy for speaker to handle, max watts can be known [and varied to taste] as less than say 13, and will never be exceeded, SE amps 'traditionally' were wired to efficient, low power speakers.
How low can the volume be set and have it sound like the great speaker it is [when the bass kicking in in and the eq/compression antics begin] is important in a living room situation, or even smaller venues.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:12 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Thanks Pete. We have tried several speakers with the Tramp and do like the Tone TubbyRed Alnico (40W), the default Jensen Blackbird Alnico (100W). The low watt Tone Tubby Alnico was good, but not as full sounding as the others.
The problem as I hear it, is the smaller magnet speakers dont move enough air to sound great in the bottom end. Might just be the effect of higher speaker efficiency with larger magnets and coils.
Having said that, I think a WGS G10C or the new G10C/S might be a good low watt Ceramic option here. We're going to try one soon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:28 pm 
Friend
Friend

I've decided to try the Jensen C12Q in my 12" cab, but what I *really* want is that Blackbird :) Next paycheck maybe...So, STephen, that 12" Blackbird will fit in the Tramp combo with 12" baffle?

*EDIT* ...AND just as I wrote that I've read about the ET65! Damn, the cleans on that demo sound big and round...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:03 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

mmarsh wrote:
I've decided to try the Jensen C12Q in my 12" cab, but what I *really* want is that Blackbird :) Next paycheck maybe...So, STephen, that 12" Blackbird will fit in the Tramp combo with 12" baffle?

*EDIT* ...AND just as I wrote that I've read about the ET65! Damn, the cleans on that demo sound big and round...

I will have to check to see if the blackbird will fit. It will be very, very tight if it does. A 10" blackbird is almost as good.

The WGS G12C worked very well in one of our tramp builds.

The G12C is a 12" ceramic speaker with a 30 oz motor and seamed cone. It's comparable to the Jensen C12n. However, our speaker has a warmer sound and more depth in the tone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:46 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hello everyone,

This is my first ever post on the Tramp forum; I'm planning my Tramp build, and need advices for selecting a speaker. I'm too tight of a budget for a > 200$ alnico, so I was looking for something like WGS G12C, G12C/S, ET65 or British Lead. Did anyone tried them ? I'm looking for a blues sound with a smooth breakup...

And did someone from Canada have an idea of the shipping costs from WGS ? Will I be slammed with customs fees ?

Thank you,

Benoit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:34 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Welcome to the forum!
I have tried several speakers in my Tramp. Tried a Celestion Blue, WGS Green Beret (or was it a Veteran 30?) and ET-65. Keep coming back to the ET-65. To me, it just suits the amp really well... delivers on the low end and has a nice full sound that compliments the tweed clean tones all the way through the Tude overdriven tones. Great all around speaker. Can't go wrong with this one, especially for the price. Big-box online retailers (GC and MF) have this in inventory...maybe you can catch a break on shipping?