trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plexi II Help
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:25 am 

Hello all.

I have just finished putting together my first kit and have encountered a problem. While plugged into either channel on the hi input the amp sounds amazing. A little noise when the volume goes above 60% but nothing terrible. When I plug into the low inputs I get a lot of noise and almost no guitar sound. The noise is absent when the volume is off but comes in immediately when the volume is turned up and gets louder as the volume increases. While on the plexi channel the noise is a high pitched whine with static and on the normal channel its just static.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to look to resolve the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Plexi II Help
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:39 am 

I fixed it. :D
I flipped the amp upside down to try to probe for the problem and it started working normally, so I knew it had to be a short somewhere. Followed the inputs but couldn't find anything. While scratching my head trying to find where the problem could be I absent mindedly flipped the fat switch and the noise instantly came back. I followed the fat switch wire back to the tube socket and found that the adjacent connection, at the second pin of the second preamp tube, had popped loose. Got it resoldered and now the amp sounds perfect. Even got rid of the mild noise when the volume is turned up.