trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:01 pm 
Novice
Novice

I’m looking for speaker recommendations for my Plexi head build. I’ve got a closed back 1X12 cabinet constructed of 12mm Baltic birch ply. Dimensions are 20.5” wide by 17.5” tall and 11.5” deep. This is for home use so something a little less efficient would be good. I like the tone of a Greenback but I’m wondering if it will survive a cranked 18 watt. The Celestion G12 EVH looks like a good deal for a UK made speaker. It’s a 20 watt speaker and again, I worry about blowing it. The G12M-65 Creamback is about $13 more than the EVH and “only” 97 dB. Anyone have any experience with one? Looking forward to your suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:28 pm 
Friend
Friend

It sure seems like the Greenback is the most common recommendation. I bought one for a 18W Plexi combo build, that I just finished. I'm waiting on my cab so I haven't used it much yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:12 pm 
Novice
Novice

I see the regular Greenback (Chinese) is now made in the UK since April of 2018. I’m leaning more towards it. Need to decide if I should get an 8 ohm or 16 ohm. I could use the 8 ohm with my Tweed as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:24 pm 
Friend
Friend

Case24 wrote:
I see the regular Greenback (Chinese) is now made in the UK since April of 2018. I’m leaning more towards it. Need to decide if I should get an 8 ohm or 16 ohm. I could use the 8 ohm with my Tweed as well.

I went with the 16 ohm version, since some people prefer running the amp at 8 ohm, with a 16 ohm speaker. That gives me the option to try the mismatch thing, or match it up at 16/16. I have no idea how a Tweed would handle a 16 ohm speaker. I assume it wouldn't harm it but have no idea on the impact to tone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:50 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Not sure if you are a fan of WGS speakers, but I'm using their Green Beret (their take on a Greenback) and it sounds perfect with my Plexi-ish 18watt clone. Tried a lot of speakers and that's the one I kept coming back to. Fantastic speaker for the money. The WGS ET65 is also an excellent all-around speaker that pairs well with the 18 watt. I'm using it in my Tramp. Could easily pull double duty for the Tweed and 18 watt.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:17 pm 
Novice
Novice

PharmRock wrote:
Not sure if you are a fan of WGS speakers, but I'm using their Green Beret (their take on a Greenback) and it sounds perfect with my Plexi-ish 18watt clone. Tried a lot of speakers and that's the one I kept coming back to. Fantastic speaker for the money. The WGS ET65 is also an excellent all-around speaker that pairs well with the 18 watt. I'm using it in my Tramp. Could easily pull double duty for the Tweed and 18 watt.

WGS makes great speakers. I had a Reaper one time in an old Traynor YGM3. Unfortunately, they’ve not many suppliers in Canada and so with free shipping and tax the Celestion Greenback is the better deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:13 pm 
Friend
Friend

PharmRock wrote:

I have never tried a Green Beret. I got the Greenback from Musician's Friend with their year end 17% off sale. I considered EVH version and some GB alternatives, but decided to play it safe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:03 pm 
Novice
Novice

I ordered a Celestion G12M Greenback 16 ohm today. I’ll see how works. Should have it by Monday.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:52 pm 
Novice
Novice

The Greenback arrived today. That was quick. Just in case anyone is curious, it is indeed now made in the UK. Date code is JD28; September (=J) 28, 2018 (=D). I’ll install it this weekend and give it a bit of a break in.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:41 am 

I actually have both the G12M Heritage 20w and made in China 25w. Both 16ohm.

I prefer the 20w. The smoother overdrive to me. Plenty of bass in my oversized 1x12 cab, I run the 18w with some bass cut out. It can get loose in the bottom end but that isnt surprsing in an open back.

I do run it attenuated and/or with power scaling...I can't speak for how the speaker would hold up long term at full power.

Though considering how quickly an 18w compresses would it be putting out more than 20w at full volume?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:42 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Felgor, what about the Australian , Lorantz Speaker Company. They make Greenback clones. Ever tried them?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:22 am 
Friend
Friend

Case24 wrote:
I ordered a Celestion G12M Greenback 16 ohm today. I’ll see how works. Should have it by Monday.

What do you think of of the G12M with the Plexi? I am still not sure it is a great fit. Even after some good break-in, the highs still seem pretty harsh in some cases. I am regretting not going for the Heritage G12M (or the cheaper G12 EVH). I am considering making a change of some kind but it is difficult and expensive to be rolling speakers. I would like to keep that so called British sound but smooth out the high end a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:58 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Speaker test. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1273&hilit=bgroup

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:02 am 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:

Thanks for pointing this out. Looks like the plain old Greenbacks (G12M-25) are still really popular with the EL84 config. Perhaps I should give it more time to grow on me. I gave it 20 hrs on the variac but probably don't have more 3 hours of play time at any real volume. Everything I read tells me that the Heritage G12M-20 is a little less harsh on the top end. Too bad that speaker wasn't part of the line-up. I would love to hear the difference with a Trinity 18.

Last edited by etzeppy on Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:04 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Test was done several years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:45 am 
Friend
Friend

I've been emailing Jim and Scumback and I am considering their M75-PVC with "pre-Rola style doping". That's the speaker he highly recommends for 18 watt circuits. Oddly enough he also recommends the 65 watt version over the 20 watt version with an 18 watt amp. He says that the 20 watt version of that particular speaker is just too sensitive to power rating to risk "sparking up and catching fire".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:55 pm 
Novice
Novice

etzeppy wrote:
Case24 wrote:

What do you think of of the G12M with the Plexi? I am still not sure it is a great fit. Even after some good break-in, the highs still seem pretty harsh in some cases. I am regretting not going for the Heritage G12M (or the cheaper G12 EVH). I am considering making a change of some kind but it is difficult and expensive to be rolling speakers. I would like to keep that so called British sound but smooth out the high end a bit.

I couldn’t be happier to tell the truth. Plenty of bass. Nice midrange punch. It sounds like classic rock. Another member on here tried it and was also very impressed with the Plexi and Greenback combined. This was in a closed back cabinet. His comments are in my build thread.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:17 pm 
Friend
Friend

Case24 wrote:
etzeppy wrote:
Case24 wrote:

I couldn’t be happier to tell the truth. Plenty of bass. Nice midrange punch. It sounds like classic rock. Another member on here tried it and was also very impressed with the Plexi and Greenback combined. This was in a closed back cabinet. His comments are in my build thread.

Good to know. I'm not sure if the open back vs closed back accounts for any of this. Out of curiosity, what king of power tubes are you using? I have new JJ.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:34 pm 
Novice
Novice

Power tubes are TAD STR EL84. Preamp tubes are JJ ECC83S. Rectifier is a NOS Tesla.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:55 pm 
Friend
Friend

Case24 wrote:
Power tubes are TAD STR EL84. Preamp tubes are JJ ECC83S. Rectifier is a NOS Tesla.

Those EL84's could very well be warmer than my new JJ's.