trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: slll No. 2
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:10 pm 

Hello everybody,
My name is Paul and I'm writing to tell you all about the new slll 18 watt amp I received from Trinity Amps. I first contacted Stephen by e-mail and we corresponded several times. When I knew it was time to order my 18 watter from Stephen I called him on the phone and we discussed at length exactly what I wanted from the amp. He was very knowledgeable and PATIENT. I don't know what amp techs/builders are like anywhere else, but for me (being from NYC/NJ area) it was really refreshing to speak with with a real pro and not be made to feel like an idiot who was wasting someone else's time with "stupid" questions. Stephen was clear and precise with all his info and I had no question in my mind after placing the order that he knew exactly what I wanted.

I received the amp and plugged directly into it (gtr-cable-amp) and was laughing immediately. I couldn't believe that what I had in my head all along was coming from this little box that was so simple to get.

The amp basically is a TMB/MV model but with a change or two internally that now allows the user to "jump" channels without a hitch. It works flawlessly and is so fine tuneable you are garuanteed to find your sweet spot.

The tone is , simply stated, the best marshall overdrive sound ever. I have had several marshalls (all in head form) over the years and was happy with them all (one in particular) but as we all know, practicality is not a part of their strong points. They are just too loud.

The 18 watt slll can be dimed out to achieve the saturated power section tones we all love to hear and not draw the cops to your house or have your bandmates pack up and leave. The comments from my bandmates were all very favorable in terms of build quality, looks, size, weight (or lack of too much weight), and of course tones. Yes, I said tones (plural).

This little guy has the original 18 watt circuit on the normal channel with the two inputs (hi-lo) and the TMB/MV channel which is to me a mini plexi. As I stated before, you can also jump the two channels with excellent results giving you a tonal palette second to none in my humble opinion. I am so happy with everything about this amp that I don't mind telling you all that after 25 years of playing guitar this is my first product review ever. I couldn't possibly have expected to get these results but I'm very happy that I did.

I'd be happy to answer any questions anytime.
Thanks,
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:40 am 
Friend
Friend

Congrats, Paul! Keep your eyes peeled over at 18watt for the next time heebgb throws an ampfest (kenilworth, NJ)...next one is slated for October 8th or 9th, I believe. It's great fun...get to meet a bunch of the guys and compare various amps, speakers, tubes, etc....all informal-like. Maybe you can bring your amp down. Is your sIII a stock version or did you get it customized so that the normal channel is the original 18-watt normal channel (the original darker one, not the trem channel voicing) and the TMB is the original higher-gain version (not stephen/s2's lower-gain plexi voicing)? Either way...great amp! I'm planning on ordering the sIII kit in a month or so for my first build...very excited!!

Now, on to the next order of business...where are the obligatory pics and clips? :D

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:09 am 

Greetings! I have sIII #1. Amazing the tones that you can get out of this puppy! Welcome to the club. I am sure our numbers will grow quite rapidly as word of the sIII gets out. It floors me every time I turn it on. Best deal on the planet for a versitile 18 watter with killer Marshall tones-- certainly no one trick pony! Rock on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:03 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
The tone is , simply stated, the best marshall overdrive sound ever.

Paul, thanks for the outstanding comments. We're glad you like it.

Quote:
Is your sIII a stock version or did you get it customized...

Nitro, the amp is a 'stock' sIII except with a touch more gain on the TMB channel because Paul requested it. The extra resistor can be clipped out to go back to a lower gain setting.

The stock sIII is very different from the stock TMB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:23 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

..and here's a review

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/D ... mbo-1.html