Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TMB kit questions
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:29 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hi Stephen,

Had a few questions regarding the Trinity tmb kit. Are they currently based on the new sIII layout or Richie's still? If it's sIII, did you move the MV to be inline with the other pots rather than on top of the input? It looks that way in the layout....if it is, that's seriously a great thing (and long-awaited)! One last question....I listened to Lawrence's clips which, as always, are great, but how much has the gain been attenuated on the tmb side...I don't think there was a clip with the TMB side dimed so I'm wondering how much more gain I can expect beyond L's "slash-esque" clips?

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:45 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I'll answer the TMB question and let lbet talk about the MV. I believe (but I could be wrong) that the most the MV was at was about 7. That's 3 less than 10, so you know there's more where that came from.

YES - There is a TMB kit coming with all the pots in line!! I should start to receive product in a few weeks. I was inspired by the sIII to make a clean break of it and do it right. Not only that, there are now 4 (count 'em) inputs. Two for each channel - as it should be. And all the tubes are in the correct positions, and no squeal etc. etc. See previous post on sIII announcement in this forum.

We still do the Richie TMB for those who want more serious gain, but the sIII is like an 18W plexi with a Master Volume control.

Pictures will be posted as soon as I have product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:07 pm 
Friend
Friend

That's awesome! You'll have to post some clips with the channels jumped :) One more question: If I built the kit, then decided I prefer gain closer to the original TMB channel, would it be very rough to re-voice the TMB side back? (Does the build guide come with a tweaker's table?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:14 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I think you can get the sIII very close to the Richie TMB gain by changing the cathode resistor on V2, and yes, there is a tweaking table to show you other tricks. Of course, you could get a Richie TMB in the new chassis as well... :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:21 am 
Friend
Friend

Would the Richie TMB kit have the updated layout (switched tubes, 4 inputs, etc.) or would it still be based on the original?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:41 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

NitroLiq wrote:
Would the Richie TMB kit have the updated layout (switched tubes, 4 inputs, etc.) or would it still be based on the original?

Yes, you could get the new layout. We still have some with the old layout with the tubes in the correct places & 3 inputs

Post subject: TMB
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:12 pm 

""""I was inspired by the sIII to make a clean break of it and do it right. Not only that, there are now 4 (count 'em) inputs. Two for each channel - as it should be. And all the tubes are in the correct positions, and no squeal etc.""""

Hello this is my first post here. I would like to comment on the TMB.
The TMB was evolved from useing the TMB for people who didn't want the trem channel in an 18 watter. The amp i first built had a MV,and since the faceplates at the time did not have a place for that,i used one of the input jack holes for the MV. Its a very good idea to move the MV,if you use one,to the end of the control panel. This way it can be used in a post or preamp type MV. But alot of people made faceplates that took the one input space,and still used that layout. Or if you don't want to use the MV..put a tone bypass switch in that spot, All that requires is wire the ground off the middle control,to a switch ,going to ground..which will lift the tone stack,and give a boost. ground unground..very simple.. Or it could be put on a pull pot. I use this in my 36 watters.

But i just wanted to say, moving the tube positions will help make a cleaner layout,and making the faceplate/chassis to have the MV at the end of the panel. I would have done this from the start,but i i had to use what was on hand..lol
The TMBs have evolved,and you can build about any of them you like using the same board,and just a few value tweaks for different gains or tones. I' myself build a different TMB than the first one i posted. And many otherbuilders like to tweak the channel to their liking. All in all you will have a great sounding amp.

Richie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:36 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Hey Richie,

Your design has inspired many builds of this amp. Congrats on that accomplishment. The sIII is, as you say, an evolution of your great original design. Laying it out with knobs & tubes in the 'right' places was an opportunity we just had to take when we came up with the sIII design. I expect there are people out there in '18W land' who will want the chassis/panels the same way. Now they're going to get that opportunity as well!

Thanks for posting. You are very welcome here and we'd appreciate your input on any subject.

Cheers,