trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:28 pm 
Novice
Novice

btw, here a pic of the head and 1x12 cab.....2x12 vert. still to come

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:22 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Looks fantastic! Really nice job. Don't scratch the finish!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:46 pm 
Expert
Expert

Wow
She is so pretty
Congrats :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:
What kind of wood? what dimensions? You know, give us everything :shock: :D :D :D

And of course: Where are the clips (unless I missed them as usual, :D )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:49 am 
Novice
Novice

sorry, no clips yet, still fine tuning the rig to my tastes, and must buy stuff to record....was thinking bout the m-audio fast track pro/ultra and some mics..trying to keep budjet in the 500/600 ballpark...but you all know how it is im sure..lol
wood is select mahogany finished in antique oil finish
head size is 23"w x 9"h x 8 1/2 d
1x12" cab is 24"w x 17 3/4" h x 10" d closed back with 1/2 marine ply front and back and there is a hellatone g12h-30 in it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:33 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Recording gear discussion here: viewtopic.php?t=135&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

I have a Lexicon Lambda and it's perfect for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:54 pm 
Expert
Expert

Thanks for the specs :D
Missed that discussion on recording gear, I'll have to read and show what I'm using :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:11 pm 
Novice
Novice

soooo, havent installed my vrm yet, still trying to figure out what caps to replace with the ones i ordered to tame the boominess of the bass....totaly lost in all those drawing of tubes and circuitry...i may write like i know english pretty good but when it comes to parts involving lethal doses of volts i tend to be very cautious... so ive been looking at the documentation that came with the amp and the web and after like 3 hours and a great headhache(again) cant still figure out wich caps to replace with the 25uf.... i know, it sound dumb, but again, im new to it and its like learning another langage.
....actually, the more i think about it the more dumb i think it sound(and my head hurts more and more...)
so can someone point me to where on the layout the cathode bypass cap(s) are :oops:

i wonder how it worked on first fire anyways, think next time ill concentrate only on the woodwork as i cant seem to get the idea behind grids, plates and all that crazy stuff that i dont know and dont want to mess up :cry:

actually, i think im more afraid to mess it up since it is working and sounding good(less the bass boom or flabbyness) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:40 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

In your plexi there are two preamp bypass caps and one power amp bypass cap. Replace the 220 uF power one with the 25 uF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:04 pm 
Novice
Novice

sweeeet, now i can get to my practice space and have a go at the mod and most important, test it right away(cant do it at home, this amp is soooo loud)

ill have a go at it tommorow after the woodshop(finally completing my vertical 2x12)
then, if all is better, ill instal the vrm :-)
wanted to make sure of wich one it was as i dont have access to the web at my practice place and im currently car less :( (living bout 20k from my practice place)

ill let you know how it rolls out.
thank you much coco, i was totaly lost there, but i think i could have swap any of the 2 220uf/50v caps and came with similar results....maybe not :?
i ask now, beacause i want to complete it done and screw the back panel on for real :)

you tha man to answer this fast on the w-e :jawdrop:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:08 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The plexi has a 220 on the preamp as well. If you want to tighten up just the normal channel, just do that one. If you want to affect bothj channels, do the power bypass cap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:49 am 
Novice
Novice

what can i do to tighten only the tmb channel ?
maybe making it switchable for my heavy metal moments :twisted:

and for the plexi channel, if i go higher, will it be only bassier or ill lose much tightness ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:59 pm 
Novice
Novice

quick question, can i make a crunch/munch switch too for the 18w, seems to have the 2 taps on the tranny, will this work as in the tc-15 ?
also, i got my 1m lin pot for the vrm but it is a rat shack part and only seems to go to 80% of 1m(damn larges tolerances of +/-20%) will it affect my vrm adversely or it'll be alright ?
also, is there a way to make my volume controls act more linear, i mean, its damn loud at 0.5 on the volumes and dont seems to get much more louder from here, dont get me wrong, it still sound glorious, im just trying to refine the sauce ;-)

im asking as ill reopen it this week end if i can find some time(sooo much stuff on my plate right now, can't believe it all happen at the same time...lol)

2x12 is comming to life;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:39 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

You can try the crunch munch for the 18 and see. Same as in the 15. For the pot, as long as you still get almost full B+ with it, it should be OK. At the lower B+ it's not as noticeable.
212 looks fantastic. Nice job. What grill cloth and finish are you planning on using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:37 pm 
Novice
Novice

for grill cloth ill use same thing as my 1x12 but ill surely get something else when i can, finishing will be same as head and 1x12, antique oil in walnut finish, only one coat so i can still feel the grain and it just give a vintage look.

im guessing that a simple dpdt will do for the munch switch(sould it be high voltage)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:34 am 
Novice
Novice

just completed instalation of the vrm and changed cathode cap(power) and it seems to do as said, cant test max volume for boominess as i only got a mesa oversized recto with v-30 in in for right now, ill let you know how it goes when i get to jamspace and try it on my cabs.
vvr is doing its job too, as quiet as the guitar acousticaly and the feel stay for the most part the same(mostly due to speaker movement being way less than full blown power id say ;-)
can wait to try all the range now, its itching...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:55 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

elegy wrote:
a simple dpdt will do for the munch switch (sould it be high voltage)

We use 250V 5A, very common.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:19 pm 
Novice
Novice

amother Q, does the vvr can be fitted to other amps like a fender deluxe or a marshall jcm800 ?
i ask cuz a fellow forum member asked me ?

wasnt expecting it to work so well, im a convert now and ill be ordering one with my next amp :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:37 pm 
Friend
Friend

Am I the only one who can't do that gorgeous woodworking? The stuff in this thread is really beautiful. I'm totally jealous....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

dont worry, i had help on some things from a good woodworker(he teaches) and i had to think for a long time before it came out.
rule of thumb, mesure twice(trice) cut once ;-)

i believe everything is in the planning then into the precision, wich take great patience :wink:
it a lot like backing a truck into a duct, if you can visualise all the steps it goes well, if you cant, you gonna have to start over number of times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:01 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

elegy wrote:
amother Q, does the vvr can be fitted to other amps like a fender deluxe or a marshall jcm800 ?
i ask cuz a fellow forum member asked me ?

wasnt expecting it to work so well, im a convert now and ill be ordering one with my next amp :wink:

Yes, but Cathode Bias amps only. Glad it works for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next