trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Happy OSD kit builder
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:05 am 

I've had time to explore my completed OSD, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. After completing the build, I only had one bad solder joint to fix, and then everything worked. There are a lot of sounds available with the mid-boost/jazz-rock/bright switches, Right now I like the switches set to rock, mid-boost on, and bright off. All the tone controls interact with each other, and with the tone switches, so I'm still exploring all the possibilities. The OD channel sounds great - very smooth and touch sensitive. The noise is pretty low even with master up over half way, and hum is very low.

All of the components in the kit are very high quality. I'm using the recommended tubes now, but I'm planning to experiment with 5881 tubes soon, to see how they effect the sound.

For anyone planning to build one of these, I would suggest practicing wiring and soldering skills on something less complex first... The builder's guide has tons of useful information, but it really helps to read ahead before working on a section - and get comfortable with reading the schematic and especially the layout diagram. I found I really had to make sure that each connection has all of the wires/components installed before soldering - it's harder to try and add another wire after filling up an eyelet with solder. Trying to melt the solder and stick in another wire is kinda tricky. Having a solder sucker helps.

I would say it took me about ~30 hours of work to complete, but I was taking my time and trying not to rush. A very enjoyable build. :D

Ken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:17 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Very cool. I'm really liking mine too. The 5881's will allow slightly sooner power-tube breakup and thus a slightly quieter "sweet spot" but these amps like a little colder bias and preamp-generated overdrive so not everyone will see any difference with them vs 6L6 tubes. The most dramatic difference is definitely with 6V6 bottles.

The whole "adding bits later and unsoldering" part is mostly why I prefer turrets over eyelets... components go in the top hole, wires go around the bottom of the turret... no need to solder before everything is done or wait to solder until the last bit is inserted and it's just a little bit easier to tinker with component values. Of course lots of people feel the exact opposite is true for them so this is not a criticism at all! :lol: