trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Homemade piping
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:52 pm 
Novice
Novice

I bought some white closeline wire with plastic coating. Its about 1/8" diameter. I used that for the string piping on the top and bottom of my 18watter.

I also bought 1 yard of vinyl. I cut 1 inch strips. applied contact cement to it and let it dry. I put the wire in the middle of it and folded the vinyl around it. Voila.... instant piping.

While I was at the material store, I purchased some material to use as grill cloth and installed it.

It worked out nicely. I will post some pics tommorrow when I can take some good pics of it.

bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:45 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Bob, Very resourceful! Looking forward to the pictures. What colour did you go for on the grill cloth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:40 am 
Novice
Novice

allthough it is very resourcefull, I am not happy with it. I might try and find a local automobile material supplier and redo it.

http://www.rbevins.com/18watt/pics_fini/bobamp800.jpg

I thinkthe grill cloth looks good though.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:49 am 
Novice
Novice

Heres a couple more pics.

The small piping on top is ok, but the grill cloth and large piping, I will redo.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:53 am 
Expert
Expert

Bob,

piping is the most upcharged thing in amp building. You go to a place like Marshallparts.com and they're asking 2 bucks a foot.

Meanwhile, if you do a search for 'lip welt' which is the automotive version of the tadpole piping...you can get the stuff at mere pennies a foot.

I have something like 10-15 feet of the stuff and it cost me a few bucks.

-Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:57 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Bob,
Looks pretty nice. If you're going to redo, then to get the piping straight, I use a piece of wood about 22" long with a groove cut out of it to fit the piping. Then I put the piping into the groove and clamp it to the edge. This hold it in place while I staple it on. But, you need a tablesaw to cut the groove.

Next time you want to post pics, you can set your link to the image pics to Img so they can be seen on-line. Select the link, then click the Img button.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:00 pm 
Novice
Novice

cool thanks guys, I wil look for li welt. I will try that Stephen. and for the pics.... I kept trying, using [url].... stupid me....hehe

I will use the correct tag next time...

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:39 pm 

I have used a lip welt from a local automotive upholstery shop that was white,and had a cool pattern on it.It was more of a texture than a pattern,but it was about 6.00 for 20 feet of the stuff.
check out my website and look under "parts" for an idea what it looks like.www.claraamps.com
I also use the marshall cabinet string,and if you think about it,even at 2.00 per ft,you only need 4 ft per cabinet,so 8.00 is not a large expenditure.I suppose if you need to make 20 cabinets,it might be a large amount of money,but the average amp fanatic doesn't have 20 marshall heads.Or do they!?
I have even used the transparent speaker wire for cabinet string.It's cheap and actually looks good.there are many ways to save a buck for a scrounger.I even hung out at a local upholstery shop and spent some time complimenting him on his work and he gave me a few free tips.
Phsyco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:55 pm 
Friend
Friend

Strangegrey

Where did you get the lip welt. A Google search got me about three legit references, a bunch of German language sites, and Yvonne's Shop For Crossdressers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:03 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Called Piping at Mojo & everywhere else. Try your local auto upholstery place in the Yellow Pages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:57 pm 
Expert
Expert

I dont remember the place I got it originally....but you can try this guy:

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/n ... earch.html

$0.50 a yard...you can do 10 amps with 20-30 bucks worth.

He also has some vinyl coverings that work great for amps....I've been using the oxen leather black with great results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:03 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I use 1/8" or 3/32" so this is a little larger than normal. It might look a little large for samll heads & cabinets IMHO.